Future of the Conservative Party

Does the Conservative Party still have a future in Canadian Politics?

• If you were a Conservative last week, are you still a Conservative today?

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • If you weren't a Conservative last week, are you now a Conservative today?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If you were you a Conservative last week, are you still a Conservative?

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • If you weren't a Conservative last week, are you still not a Conservative?

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Other: If so, please feel free to explain.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is just an informal survey to satisfy my curiosity, and anyone else who's curious.

If you were a Conservative last week, are you still a Conservative today?
If you weren't a Conservative last week, are you now a Conservative today?
If you were you a Conservative last week, are you still a Conservative?
If you weren't a Conservative last week, are you still not a Conservative?
Other: If so, please feel free to explain.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I wasn't Conservative, and still am not Conservative. However, we can say that I tend towards the moderate left overall, but quite Conservative on the economic and moral fronts but quite progressive on the international front. In fact, on one election years ago, I was debating between the Reform party (free trade) and the NDP (international relations, education). I wasn't even looking at the liberals (not far enough on free trade and not far enough on international relations, just mainstream mediocrity on both fronts).

And last election, I was tempted to vote Green (socially progressive and economically conservative, with a strong international outlook). I still wasn't satisfied, so I handed a blank ballot at the last minute, but the Green Canadidate came closest to the mix I was looking for.

Now after the election, I was actually happy to hear the Conservatives propose cuts to parties and mention nothing about the auto industry, though I wouldn't have minded seeing more money in education.

Unfortunately, no mention of education, and the NDP and Liberals are more interested in porkbarelling the auto industry than improving education.

This is why I think it's time for a purging on the left like the right had gone through a few years back. The Green party is a good start (like I mentioned before, a kind of 'Reform Party' experiment), but unless the Greens can transform themselves a little more, I think a 'Canadian Alliance' of the left is still to come. And who knows, eventually a new merging with the traditional left wing parties like what happened to the Conservatives? Of course the left doesn't need to follow the right's history verbatim, but it gives some idea of where things might have to go to revive the left.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Can someone please try out the Poll at the top of the page so I know if it's working???
I've tried it (first time I've tried to set up a poll) and all I'm getting is this:

Ron in Regina, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Can someone please try out the Poll at the top of the page so I know if it's working???
I've tried it (first time I've tried to set up a poll) and all I'm getting is this:

Ron in Regina, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Ron,
I have set up a few and it can be confusing. Honestly rather than have the poll as a separate entity it should remain inside the original post, in my opinion.
Your poll is there and I voted. I haven't checked to see if it registered though.
rgs
scth

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Me too.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ron,
I have set up a few and it can be confusing. Honestly rather than have the poll as a separate entity it should remain inside the original post, in my opinion.
rgs
scth

Oh Well....ya' learn something new everyday. Next time. I just tried to follow the
prompts, but I must have missed something, or something...

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Oh Well....ya' learn something new everyday. Next time. I just tried to follow the
prompts, but I must have missed something, or something...

Ron I posted a vote and it DID NOT register. Problem there.

scratch

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This scheme by the NDP and Liberals will amount to a money grab from Alberta for spending in Ontario. This could well propel the west closer to separation. The conservatives should move the tanks to Alberta and get ready to lead the separation march.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Yep there's quite a buzz about what form the hooping will be in- will it be a carbon tax or just a "hands up" were about to be looted and razed to the ground.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Lester, there may be looting in biblical proportions before this is over.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Yep, I think the bubble is about to burst- Some of the big plants up north have put their exapnsions on hold and mothballed a few others. Just last week there were 5000 layoffs in the trades. I smell a Carbon Tax

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Twenty years ago I considered myself N.D.P. but came to the conclusion that party will only work in a society where everyone wants to do his share and a wee bit more. Since then I don't subscribe to any of them, just vote for the least odorous candidate in my riding regardless of party.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Wow...you guys are really caught up in the doom and gloom hyperbole...

Maybe we should give our new government a chance to perform before we write the country off as ruined...

We at least afforded the previous government that simple courtesy...

My biggest concern is that this looks like the coalition is being setup to take a fall...like maybe that the economy is far worse off than we've been told, and that Flaherty's FU was strategically designed to get the opposition to bring down the Cons before any of us realize how dire Canada's straits really are...

That would be win-win for the Cons, as they can be perceived to be bullied out of their nests, and the new government will fail to fix an economic situation that was FUBAR to begin with...

After all that, the cons could probably pull off a majority...

Of course Canada could be royally ****ed by then...

I guess we'll see soon enough...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Vanni, this is a coup de tat. Such powers should never be invoked, unless the government is setting up gas chambers or something that the people need protection from in dramatic fashion. All this for an economic plan? That's preposterous. What next, is the Queen of England going to step in and bring the coalition down?

My hope is this action leads to a huge decline in support for those three parties. Their lack of scruples is unprecedented.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Wow...you guys are really caught up in the doom and gloom hyperbole...

Maybe we should give our new government a chance to perform before we write the country off as ruined...

We at least afforded the previous government that simple courtesy...

My biggest concern is that this looks like the coalition is being setup to take a fall...like maybe that the economy is far worse off than we've been told, and that Flaherty's FU was strategically designed to get the opposition to bring down the Cons before any of us realize how dire Canada's straits really are...

That would be win-win for the Cons, as they can be perceived to be bullied out of their nests, and the new government will fail to fix an economic situation that was FUBAR to begin with...

After all that, the cons could probably pull off a majority...

Of course Canada could be royally ****ed by then...

I guess we'll see soon enough...

Vanni I don't think they are clever enough for that kind of plan. I am sure that the country is in an economic mess like almost every where else in the world but I think that our resource based economy can weather the storm.