Coalition Smells Blood!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
After reading the headlines and sub-headlines of The Ottawa Citizen & The Montreal Gazette, today's editions, the coalition feels that Harper and the Conservatives are dead in the water because of their own stupidity.

Is anyone surprized?

I am Not.

Bye...Bye...Harpo & Co.

scratch

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
After reading the headlines and sub-headlines of The Ottawa Citizen & The Montreal Gazette, today's editions, the coalition feels that Harper and the Conservatives are dead in the water because of their own stupidity.

Is anyone surprized?

I am Not.

Bye...Bye...Harpo & Co.

scratch

Good day Scratch, this is a great lesson for thug Harper who would pull all the stops to get power with out working for it.... He accused yesterday the Opposition looking to obtain power when in fact they have not worked for it, what a joke, then he backs down like a cowered, calls a bluff and runs, hahahahahahahahahahahah, sorry I am getting carried away here..
The Conservative political brand bothers me, I am allergic to it and I want my $1.97 back....Good outcome and a lesson to be learned so close to a majority and 6 weeks down the road they get ousted... Ouch......the Con humiliating days are coming back...Enjoy the rest of the weekend:smile:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think the entire matter is a total joke. I mean really! Ed, you're a old fool and from now on I'm swipping your paper EVERY morning AND I"m letting my dog crap on your lawn. Jean, I hear Shawinigan is beautiful this time of year, go warm up the ski doo.

The entire situation is very embarrassing. I better go straighen this out right now.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
LOL, the libs are despirate to buy a chance as the government leader, but it won't happen... What a bunch of underhanded idiots.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Is anyone surprized?

I am Not.

Bye...Bye...Harpo & Co.

scratch

I'm NOT a particular fan of Harper but I fail to see what he's done that is so nefarious lately. He recognizes the financial bind we are getting into, wants to do a little belt tightening and resists bailouts to struggling companies at taxpayers' cost. Except for reneging on supporting political party, he's just not knuckling under for the opposition and I SAY THAT'S GOOD. The blood the "coalition" (band of gangsters) smells may be their own.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
The Harper shuffle

Politics being what they are and the flip-flopping of the cons like fish in the bottom of the boat..... Harper has tucked his tail between his legs and is busily beavering away at a "new and revised" budget that will not make the Canadian people vomit in its duplicity and lack of economic stimulus.

Who knows, maybe someone, somewhere will actually "buy it?" Not likely though. He's shot himself so badly in the foot this time that the splatter is all over Flaherty and people are tired of his learning economics 101 on the job (yes, I know his bio "says" he's an "economist"...it also says his background is mail clerk which rings a 'tad truer)

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The majority of the country voted against Harper.

That means there SHOULD be a coalition government. That is how non-two party democracies work.

If Harper wanted to run the place, he should have had a platform that appealed to a majority of the population so he could have gotten a majority government. He did not.

I hope a coalition forms, because that is what the people voted for. How well it does should then help people vote next time.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
First, Harper backed away from canceling public funding to political parties. Today I saw on television, he has also backed away about public sector workers going on a strike. In the financial statement, he said he was going to prevent them from striking, now he is willing to drop that provision as well.

This is a lousy, terrible way to govern. He proposes something and then under threats form the opposition, he backs down on one item after antler. Wouldn’t it have been better to have consulted the opposition parties before coming up with the financial statement?

The country is in deep financial turmoil, everybody has a stake in it. If Harper had any sense at all, he would have consulted as widely as possible before coming up with financial statement.

The way he is conducting business simply makes him look petulant, dictatorial and weak (because under threats from opposition, he is slowly backing away inch by inch). He seems totally unsuitable as a leader for the current trying times.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I'm NOT a particular fan of Harper but I fail to see what he's done that is so nefarious lately. He recognizes the financial bind we are getting into, wants to do a little belt tightening and resists bailouts to struggling companies at taxpayers' cost. Except for reneging on supporting political party, he's just not knuckling under for the opposition and I SAY THAT'S GOOD. The blood the "coalition" (band of gangsters) smells may be their own.

Rather than present a meaningful economic stimulus package, the Cons have declared war on:

1. Opposition Parties
2. Women
3. Civil Servants

None of these measures would have done anything to stave off the coming economic meltdown so the measures outlined in the Fiscal Update can only be perceived as a spiteful attack by a government desperate to shift attention from their obvious inaction towards the economic crisis.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The majority of the country voted against Harper.

That means there SHOULD be a coalition government. That is how non-two party democracies work.

If Harper wanted to run the place, he should have had a platform that appealed to a majority of the population so he could have gotten a majority government. He did not.

I hope a coalition forms, because that is what the people voted for. How well it does should then help people vote next time.

I certainly didn't see the people voting for a coalition...

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
First, Harper backed away from canceling public funding to political parties. Today I saw on television, he has also backed away about public sector workers going on a strike. In the financial statement, he said he was going to prevent them from striking, now he is willing to drop that provision as well.

This is a lousy, terrible way to govern. He proposes something and then under threats form the opposition, he backs down on one item after antler. Wouldn’t it have been better to have consulted the opposition parties before coming up with the financial statement?

The country is in deep financial turmoil, everybody has a stake in it. If Harper had any sense at all, he would have consulted as widely as possible before coming up with financial statement.

The way he is conducting business simply makes him look petulant, dictatorial and weak (because under threats from opposition, he is slowly backing away inch by inch). He seems totally unsuitable as a leader for the current trying times.

Hmmm, i guess you don't want cooperation amungst the ranks???

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I'm NOT a particular fan of Harper but I fail to see what he's done that is so nefarious lately.

JLM, the problem was that the financial statement did not contain any economic stimulus. All the other parties strongly support the stimulus, even to the extent of bringing down the government.

Personally, I am not sure if a stimulus will be effective at this stage, I am ambivalent about the subject. However, what I am not ambivalent about is the fact that Harper royally screwed up the financial statement. He delivered the statement as if he had just won a landslide victory. Considering his minority status, he should have consulted the opposition parties, tried to bring them all together and come up with the statement that would be acceptable to all the parties (or at least three out of four).

Imagine what effect such a statement would have had on the economy. It would have increased Harper’s stature as a statesman, as a master politician, who can negotiate deals with the various factions involved. It also would have told the economic community that politicians are united, are serious in fighting the economic turmoil. It would have soothed the markets, the economy.

As it is, Harper has screwed things up big time. If his government falls, that will lead to uncertainty big time, and that cannot be good for the economy. This was one instance where it was incumbent upon Harper to act as a statesman, rather than as a politician. He failed miserably.