Could a Liberal-NDP-Bloc Alliance be a good thing for languages?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
With all the talk of a Liberal-NDP- Bloc alliance, I was thinking of how this could affect language policy.

Of course neither the Liberals nor the NDP would really want to work with the Bloc, but seeing that even together they still form a minority, they'd essentially have no choice but to have the Bloc on their side.

One thing the Bloc has been asking for is that the federal governemnt in the province of Quebec would be officially monolingually French-speaking.

Could this not be a good thing in that it would likewise precipitate support for all federal institutions outside Quebec to be officially monolingually English-speaking, thus saving money on both sides with respect to official bilingualism? Considering that the Bloc cares only for Quebec, it couldn't care less what happens outside of Quebec. In fact, it's likely the Bloc would even support this since it would reinfoce French monolingualism in Quebec and possibly pressure French speakers from outside of Quebec to move back to Quebec.

Should this idea (i.e. official French monolingualism in Quebec and official English monolingualism in English Canada) be something worth supporting?

In fact, could the Conservative party itself not save itself from takeover by creating an alliance with the Bloc and offering French only in Quebec and English only elsewhere?

I'm sure Trudeau would roll in his grave at this, but Duplesis, the Bloc, and the Conservatives would be ecstatic I'm sure. Strange times make for strange bedfellows I suppose.

What are your ideas on this?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
With all the talk of a Liberal-NDP- Bloc alliance, I was thinking of how this could affect language policy.

Of course neither the Liberals nor the NDP would really want to work with the Bloc, but seeing that even together they still form a minority, they'd essentially have no choice but to have the Bloc on their side.

One thing the Bloc has been asking for is that the federal governemnt in the province of Quebec would be officially monolingually French-speaking.

Could this not be a good thing in that it would likewise precipitate support for all federal institutions outside Quebec to be officially monolingually English-speaking, thus saving money on both sides with respect to official bilingualism? Considering that the Bloc cares only for Quebec, it couldn't care less what happens outside of Quebec. In fact, it's likely the Bloc would even support this since it would reinfoce French monolingualism in Quebec and possibly pressure French speakers from outside of Quebec to move back to Quebec.

Should this idea (i.e. official French monolingualism in Quebec and official English monolingualism in English Canada) be something worth supporting?

In fact, could the Conservative party itself not save itself from takeover by creating an alliance with the Bloc and offering French only in Quebec and English only elsewhere?

I'm sure Trudeau would roll in his grave at this, but Duplesis, the Bloc, and the Conservatives would be ecstatic I'm sure. Strange times make for strange bedfellows I suppose.

The problem is that the separatists will portray any loss of language rights outside of Quebec as proof of the continuing persecution of the French minority, and the need for a separate French state in North America.........with some success in Quebec I would bet.

A mistake dealing with the BQ, making them a de facto part of gov't......a huge blunder.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How do you interpret bilingualism in Canada?

To you does it mean that Quebec is French-speaking and the rest English-speaking, or does it mean that all Canadians can speak French and English?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The problem is that the separatists will portray any loss of language rights outside of Quebec as proof of the continuing persecution of the French minority, and the need for a separate French state in North America.........with some success in Quebec I would bet.

A mistake dealing with the BQ, making them a de facto part of gov't......a huge blunder.

Good point. But the Conservatives could possibly try to through the ball back in the Bloc's court. For example, the Conservatives could publicly ask the Bloc if they'd be willing to accept a deal with monolingualism on both sides. If Quebec refuses, then it's the Bloc's fault that there would still be English in Quebec's federal public service. And if they accept, then if they try to spin the story the Conservatives could sipmly point out that it's the Bloc's doing. And since it would all be public, the Bloc couldn't deny it. Of course French speakers from outside Quebec would oppose the Bloc, but it's not like the Bloc is running there anyway, so no skin off their backs. Really, my impression is that the Bloc cares exclusively about Quebec. It doesn't care about French-speakers outise of Quebec, or at least not at a political level.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

A coalition Government is much like a Minority Government. It can only survive if it negotiates with the other parties on a regular basis and none of the participants become inflexible..

I have said this many times and will say it again.. Regardless of who is in power, if they believe in making Canada a ONE party Country by removing all options for other parties to regroup and build up, it will back fire on them badly.. It will set them up for this country to become dictatorial and someone else will take power away before long. We will not be ruled by the "Conservative Party " for long but be under the power of a dictator. For all those who think this is impossible, read your history.. All parties MUST have opposition..

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A coalition Government is much like a Minority Government. It can only survive if it negotiates with the other parties on a regular basis and none of the participants become inflexible..

I have said this many times and will say it again.. Regardless of who is in power, if they believe in making Canada a ONE party Country by removing all options for other parties to regroup and build up, it will back fire on them badly.. It will set them up for this country to become dictatorial and someone else will take power away before long. We will not be ruled by the "Conservative Party " for long but be under the power of a dictator. For all those who think this is impossible, read your history.. All parties MUST have opposition..

Oh give me a break!

Gov't subsidies for political parties have existed for about three years....before that we were a dictatorship?

Give it a rest.

Just STFU and write a cheque to the political party of your choice.....I'm getting tired of carrying the useless pricks.:roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

My idea of it is that it's mainly a poor idea. You'd have close to 40% of the coalition in favour of dividing the country. As far as monolingualism is concerned you can achieve that without a coalistion. What Harper proposes (belt tightening) and cutting back on handouts to drones makes good economic sense and basically what we have is three cry babies who want to rerun the election. They know another election wouldn't do them any good. Even commenting on this insanity is giving them more attention than they deserve.

rd1331

Nov 29, 2008
Question. Could the Liberals even afford another election? Could this idea of a coalition back fire? Say they try it go to the G-G and she says nope, its another election. Aren't they in bad finacials right now? The last coalition lasted i think a week, so it would most likely end in an election anyways. Could they be shooting themselves in the foot?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

How can you even assume and we all know what assuming stand for what the separatist will do.

I am French from Quebec now living in BC. I can speak and write both languages ( English and French ) properly. I see no loss of language as a threat and most business people see their business in Quebec dependent on the US and the rest of Canada. How much do we export to France ? Better yet, how much from Quebec is exported to France ?

Assuming ( bad thing to do ) Quebec wanted to join France it would heavily annex and tax Quebec

Where will Quebec go ? Quebec is not going to go anywhere or leave Canada as such as even the last Separation vote was to stay part of Canada but be a independant Society with in it.

If Quebec goes and separates and how will it deal with the rest of Canada if it is not Bilingual and Unilingual? This is but political posturing..

The Bloc can sabre rattle and it just causes all you Conservatives to use the fear factor but the people of Quebec have come of age and piss off the Liberal, Conservative and NDP parties by voting the Bloq in every Federal election.. Look at the present Quebec Provincial Election and polls with the Liberals ahead and the ADQ way behind and lost most of their support from the last election. The PQ are still in the shadow but people there only look at their platform for economics and Social values..

Stop the fear mongering without facts.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Question. Could the Liberals even afford another election? Could this idea of a coalition back fire? Say they try it go to the G-G and she says nope, its another election. Aren't they in bad finacials right now? The last coalition lasted i think a week, so it would most likely end in an election anyways. Could they be shooting themselves in the foot?

I'll admit I'm a little election weary by now, but if an election could mean one or more parties going bankrupt, count me in. The more the better! Imagine if all the parties went belly up! Hey, never thought of it that way. Let's call an election right now. What are we waiting for?

And if that only puts one party under, then let's hope for another minority. If we can get a few more elections within the next few years, it might clean up a lot of messes with so many political parties going bankrupt.

What are we waiting for?:angryfire:

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Oh give me a break!

Gov't subsidies for political parties have existed for about three years....before that we were a dictatorship?

Give it a rest.

Just STFU and write a cheque to the political party of your choice.....I'm getting tired of carrying the useless pricks.:roll:

I see so your in favour of a Dictatorship.. You will be carrying a lot more soon..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I see so your in favour of a Dictatorship.. You will be carrying a lot more soon..

How does opposing public funding for parties equate with dictatorship?

Are you proposing we finance independent candidates at $1.95/vote too? If not, then to cut spending altogether would seem the just thing to do.

rd1331

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not saying they would go bankrupt. It would however make it more difficult for them to market themselves again. Which could make it harder for them to get in, hense the question. I am all for a multi party system, it puts checks and balances in the system. It was strickly exactly as stated, a group of questions. Nothing else.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How expensive should it really be for a candidate to run an election?

Here's what I say. If a person wants to run as a candidate, it's his democratic right, so let him run for free. Additionally, the federal government could pay for his personal website if he doesn't have one. How much is that now? About $10.00/month? Iven if double that amount, it's still only $20, much less that 1.95/person among thousands of people!

In this way, he's free to market himself all he wants on his website. You want to know more about your candidate, google him up!

Seriously, if a party needs all this TV advertisement, or if people vote for candidates like they vote for fashion models, then what's the point of democracy. I don't even need to know what my candidate loos like for crying out loud! I just need to know his name and his ideas. One website is enough.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Don't get sucked in by `google propaganda` and find out who your candidate is to the day he was born.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
With a simple web page, a candidate could include whatever info he wants, including telephone number, e-mail address, home address, etc. And of course it's common for a local govenrment to lend a hall for a candidates' meeting. You can arrange an interview, etc.

I actually went to a candidate's house one election to ask some questions (by invitation of course, and he offered). It's just a matter of doing your homework. Honestly, a simple web site should suffice unless you're voting for a fashion model.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Then let them go. What industrial base does Quebec have? Once business has to pony up or shut up, the people will know they've been had.