There will be a Canadian Republic Party one day

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
I can assure all of you that there will be a political party in Canada one day that will advocate the formation of a republican system in the country.

Also, I can assure you that it will be successful.

It will:

-Offer change to voters who are sick and tired of voting for the same old parties who bring no change and those who feel that the electoral system is unfair or unbalanced by changing the system to a constitutional presidential republican system.

-Resolve our divided country by transfering most legislative powers to the provinces where they belong. That way, the provinces will be free to control the very things they have battling to control for so long now.

-Bring the power closer to the people.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Eh?

You've got that NDP under your name, which is pretty misleading as I don't believe it's part of their platform.

A less polite person might call you a troll.

Not me, as I am sweet and gentle and can always be counted on to give the benefit of the doubt.

Yepper.

Ask anybody

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Eh?

You've got that NDP under your name, which is pretty misleading as I don't believe it's part of their platform.

A less polite person might call you a troll.

Not me, as I am sweet and gentle and can always be counted on to give the benefit of the doubt.

Yepper.

Ask anybody

lol

yeah... what Nuggler said!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I can assure all of you that there will be a political party in Canada one day that will advocate the formation of a republican system in the country.

It will:

-Offer change to voters who are sick and tired of voting for the same old parties who bring no change and those who feel that the electoral system is unfair or unbalanced by changing the system to a constitutional presidential republican system.

-Resolve our divided country by transfering most legislative powers to the provinces where they belong. That way, the provinces will be free to control the very things they have battling to control for so long now.

I'm having deja vu. I swear I just heard this, the other month, on tv. I think there was an election or something, not sure. :lol:

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Our Head of State is Queen Elizabeth II. Our next Head of State will be Charles. And the next after that will be William... And the next after that depends on Williams' sex life and romantic interests.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Our Head of State is Queen Elizabeth II. Our next Head of State will be Charles. And the next after that will be William... And the next after that depends on Williams' sex life and romantic interests.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

I fully agree.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
What would a better choice be.

Well... How about having a Canadian Head of State to start with? Someone that was actually born here and lives here.

Another good idea would be for the position of Head of State to be theoretically open to anyone who has enough merit to reach that position. Monarchy closes the door to all but the direct descendants of one family line. I have a hard time thinking of anything more dogmatic and arbitrary. Hereditary monarchy is no way a proper system to judge on someone's ability to hold an important position.

You don't need an over-active imagination to see how Canada could exist without monarchy. There are plenty examples throughout the world of countries that are just fine without it.

The point is not ''if it ain't broke, don't fix''. The point is that by clinging to an archaic and outdated system, Canada is hiding in the shadows of its past.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Well... How about having a Canadian Head of State to start with? Someone that was actually born here and lives here.

Another good idea would be for the position of Head of State to be theoretically open to anyone who has enough merit to reach that position. Monarchy closes the door to all but the direct descendants of one family line. I have a hard time thinking of anything more dogmatic and arbitrary. Hereditary monarchy is no way a proper system to judge on someone's ability to hold an important position.

You don't need an over-active imagination to see how Canada could exist without monarchy. There are plenty examples throughout the world of countries that are just fine without it.

The point is not ''if it ain't broke, don't fix''. The point is that by clinging to an archaic and outdated system, Canada is hiding in the shadows of its past.

s_lone hey,

You are right of course.
If it does change how would you propose that it be done?

scratch

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
For those who said that I have NDP under my name.. I currently affiliate with the NDP because it also advocates a decentralization of the government , with well funded social programs, because these are 2 things I support. They also provide an alternative to the Libs and Cons. If there would have been a Republican party running in the last election, I would have voted for them.

Changing the system could be done. All that needs to be done is form a republican party, convince the people and get elected. Then pass legislation, reinforce the idea with Canadians, and finally hold a national referendum on the subject. Then when people vote in favour of it, write it down in the constitution and voila!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
For those who said that I have NDP under my name.. I currently affiliate with the NDP because it also advocates a decentralization of the government , with well funded social programs, because these are 2 things I support. They also provide an alternative to the Libs and Cons. If there would have been a Republican party running in the last election, I would have voted for them.

Changing the system could be done. All that needs to be done is form a republican party, convince the people and get elected. Then pass legislation, reinforce the idea with Canadians, and finally hold a national referendum on the subject. Then when people vote in favour of it, write it down in the constitution and voila!

Good Morning To You,

Your premiss is good, yet I think an awful lot of work and convincing would go along with it.
Now, as a fellow Quebecer (lived there for 39 yrs), now only 40 minutes from where I was raised, and educated in the English system.
I endured the FLQ crisis, multiple referendums, Bill 101 and the genesis of the hardening position of Francophones.
The question that I have for you is this:

Why didn't Quebec go the way that you are advocating?

Sincere Regards,
scratch

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

It will:

Perhaps 'one day', but I just cannot forsee getting the Provinces to agree to such a change to the Constitution. In fact, I can't see ever getting the Provinces to agree to any change more meaningful than the NL name-change of a couple of years ago.

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Good Morning To You,

Your premiss is good, yet I think an awful lot of work and convincing would go along with it.
Now, as a fellow Quebecer (lived there for 39 yrs), now only 40 minutes from where I was raised, and educated in the English system.
I endured the FLQ crisis, multiple referendums, Bill 101 and the genesis of the hardening position of Francophones.

Sincere Regards,
scratch

Yes hard work would have to be done to convince the people. This is a big change for sure.

I also was educated in the English system, but also in the French system. I however have not witnessed the Quiet Revolution or October crisis nor the beginning of Bill 101 since I am too young but I have witnessed the 1995 referendum and I have to say that it was really scary.

Just the fact that Ottawa ordered all military aircraft out of the province gave me chills. I had the feeling that if Quebecers voted by majority for Sovereignty, that things would have escalated and I rather not think of the consequences it would have had.

I think that Quebec could have avoided 2 referendums and the October crisis but I don't think Quebec could have avoided Bill 101 or the Quiet Revolution though. Bill 101 and the strengthening of francophone influence are part of the autonomy that I advocate for the provinces. In 1981-82, giving equal autonomy to the provinces would have definitely resulted in all provinces signing the new constitution. It wouldn't have mattered that Quebec special powers if the other provinces had them too.

Unfortunately at the time, politicians and people on both sides were too damn emotional about the subject of Quebec sovereignty that they never thought of instoring a republican system, which would have been a more logical idea. Instead of breaking up the country, making Canada a republic would have eased tensions between provinces because of their acquired equal autonomy. Let's face it, Quebec is not the only province that has asked for more autonomy in the past so I really think that giving a lot of legislative powers to provinces is the way to go.

Today however, emotions have died down and people have had 20 years to calm down. Perhaps today, if a great visonary can find enough activists to support him and form a party, that party can well present the republic plan and people would actually listen...

I believe it's possible!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Good Morning To You,

Sincere Regards,
scratch

I have yet to hear from you on this. Hopefully you are giving it some thought. The concept (during the time of Levesque, Parizeau and Bouchard) could have worked out quite well. And been a boon to the Bloc Quebecois in Ottawa.
If it had been attempted (as Quebec is still not a signee of the Constitution, but uses it all the time for its own purposes).
There are particular and very serious legal questions/scenarios that would have had to be overcome.

I will leave that for you specifically but I think that others should join in. It could become extremely interesting.

Later,
scratch

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Perhaps 'one day', but I just cannot forsee getting the Provinces to agree to such a change to the Constitution. In fact, I can't see ever getting the Provinces to agree to any change more meaningful than the NL name-change of a couple of years ago.

The reason for this is that most Federal and Provincial politicians are not able to compromise for the greater good. All they care about is getting their pensions.

However, the power of persuasion is incredible. If an evil man like Hitler was able to convince the German people to elect him chancellor, I'm positive that a bright and persuasive politician in Canada will be able to convince people to change for the better.. Also, if we give each province A LOT of autonomy but equally, they will not be able to refuse. Only a fool would refuse more power for his provincial legislature...

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Adriatik, you were not quite clear with the topic. By Republican system, do you mean get rid of the monarchy? If so, you can forget it.

I am not opposed to the idea of a Republic, and if we did have a Republic today, I would be opposed to introducing monarchy in Canada.

However, now that we already have the monarchy, I would need a very good reason to get rid of it, and I haven’t come across one yet.

It is not as if the Queen is abusing her power. She doesn’t get involved in the internal affairs of Canada, GG pretty much rubber stamps everything. Where is the problem? My attitude is, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
It is not as if the Queen is abusing her power. She doesn’t get involved in the internal affairs of Canada, GG pretty much rubber stamps everything. Where is the problem? My attitude is, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The point about getting rid of monarchy is not that the Queen is a bad Head of State. The point is that if she was a bad Head of State we'd be stuck with her no matter what. Hereditary monarchy is one of the most rigid, dogmatic and anti-democratic system one can think of to establish who a Head of State should be. It's already established that Prince Charles will be the next. And Prince William after that... Or Prince Harry if ever William died... It all depends on the sex lives and tribulations of a foreign country's royal family... It's completely absurd. Canada is letting its past cast a huge shadow over its future.

All this issue about monarchy might not have much impact in our daily lives, but it is still a highly symbolic notion that is at the core of our country's system. Our institutions represent us. The same way our flag does. I am personally ashamed of living in a country where monarchy is sustained. This would not necessarily cause me to vote YES in a Quebec referendum on sovereignty but it would certainly not push me to vote NO!!!