Psst hey Walt.....PM looks to U.S. for climate deal

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
PM looks to U.S. for climate deal

OTTAWA–The Conservative government says it will act quickly to propose a new North American climate change deal with U.S. President-elect Barack Obama – a move critics said would be scuppered by Canada's own weak approach.
Lead cabinet ministers on the Canada-U.S. file yesterday suggested that, with Republican President George W. Bush on the way out, there is greater likelihood an integrated carbon market could be worked out with the incoming Democrat

Read more here

Also.....

Canada to seek climate deal with Obama

OTTAWA – Canada hopes to negotiate a North American climate-change deal with U.S. president-elect Barack Obama and will begin working on the file within weeks, Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon said today.
Meantime, officials told The Canadian Press the Harper government has been waiting for the departure of President George W. Bush to work with his successor on an integrated carbon market.
While states and provinces have been cobbling together a patchwork of approaches to climate change, federal officials said they have been eyeing a continent-wide solution for some time.
Cannon confirmed the issue will be a priority. He said the Conservative government will make Canada's positions on the environment known to the incoming Obama administration.

Read more here.

Oh dear, whatever shall wittle Walt do.:lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm sure we'll have a cut-n-paste from Investors Business Daily shortly...or perhaps even Newsbusters.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Harper, Obama find 'common ground'

Harper praised Obama for running a "remarkable campaign," particularly in his historic race against Senator Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries. "He essentially came out of nowhere to beat established political machines," he said. "I think (it) is a political story that is probably going to be studied by my people and many people for a long time to come."
Harper told reporters his Conservative government shares in the worldwide excitement about the possibility for change and hoped a new direction in environmental policy could help Canada become more aggressive in its own fight against climate change

Full article here

Oh dear Walt not only does Harper want to combat climate change he seems to get along better with a liberal than a conservative.:lol:

Bloody Harper

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Harper, Obama find 'common ground'

Harper praised Obama for running a "remarkable campaign," particularly in his historic race against Senator Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries. "He essentially came out of nowhere to beat established political machines," he said. "I think (it) is a political story that is probably going to be studied by my people and many people for a long time to come."
Harper told reporters his Conservative government shares in the worldwide excitement about the possibility for change and hoped a new direction in environmental policy could help Canada become more aggressive in its own fight against climate change

Full article here

Oh dear Walt not only does Harper want to combat climate change he seems to get along better with a liberal than a conservative.:lol:

Bloody Harper

Harpo & BO=Danger

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Harpo & BO=Danger

No, correction... Harpo alone is Danger.

Actually, having Obama as president of the USA and Harpo as PM here is far less dangerous than if McCain had won.

Obama has great vison and is determined to carry out all his policies and will not be stalled by Harper's conservative policies.

If Harper knows what's good, he better cooperate with Obama because his presidency will greatly benefit Canada.

If Harper doesn't want to cooperate, the effects could be devastating for our economy.

I hope Harper will do what's right for the country. Great opportunity lies ahead. Don't blow it Harper you stupid conservative bastard!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Strangely enough, I think the current Canadian Conservative Party (close to the center) and the current
US Democrat Party (close to the center) are the best match politically at this time.

The current US Republican Party is off to the political right of the spectrum, and the current Canadian
Liberal & NDP Party's are way off to the political left of the spectrum.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but that's how I see things at this point.

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Strangely enough, I think the current Canadian Conservative Party (close to the center) and the current
US Democrat Party (close to the center) are the best match politically at this time.

The current US Republican Party is off to the political right of the spectrum, and the current Canadian
Liberal & NDP Party's are way off to the political left of the spectrum.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but that's how I see things at this point.

Yes you are right... The US republicans are to the right on the spectrum but your statement about the Canadian Liberals and NDP being way off to the left are truly FALSE. The Liberals are pretty much at the dead center and slightly shift from center-left to center-right every decade or so depending on polls. The NDP are center-left, not way off to the left...

The US Democrats are center-left as well so it would be better if either the NDP and Liberals were in power right now. I just cannot see Harper's garbage right-wing policies being compatible with Obama's center-left policies.... Like I said, Harper better not screw it up...

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
I just cannot see Harper's garbage right-wing policies being compatible with Obama's center-left policies...."""

If Obama is truly centre left, let's just hope Harpo is so used to kissing US ass, he won't notice the difference.

............:xcrude, Nugg, crude.

Obama is truly center-left. His plans to introduce a better welfare system to help those affected by the tumbling economy in the US and intervene in the economy themselves are enough to prove that he is a real center-leftist.

Soon enough, Obama will have taken his troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan showing his pacifist views. He wants what everyone else wants.. Peace.

Canada however, should have never been involved in any combat mission in Afghanistan. We are known for providing humanitarian aid and peacekeeping in major world conflicts. Harper clearly doesn't want peace since he has decided to keep our troops in Afghanistan until 2011. I can't fully blame Harper on this one because Paul Martin originally decided to send our troops there...

The bottom line is that Harper will have no choice to mold his policies around those of Obama so Stephen Harper, let the brown-nosing begin!!