Our National Anthem and Bruce Allen

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The following is the text from an email I recieved this morning......

Our National Anthem - at the 2010 Vancouver Olympic's Please read and forward to as many people you can think of – thank you

WE ARE CANADIANS

Bruce Allen is on the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Committee and new Canadians (specifically Hindi's/Indian's) want him fired for his recent comments outlined below:

I am sorry, but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Hindi - enough is enough.
Nowhere or at no other time in our Nation's history, did they sing it in Italian, Japanese, Polish,
Irish (Celtic), German, Portuguese, Greek, or any other language because of immigration.
It was written in English, adapted into French, and should be sung word for word
the way it was written.

The news broadcasts even gave the Hindi version translation which was not even close to our
National Anthem.

I am not sorry if this offends anyone, this is MY COUNTRY - IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY, SPEAK UP -- please pass this along .

I am not against immigration -- just come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a
place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE
as all other immigrants have in the past -- and LONG LIVE CANADA!'

It's time we all get behind Bruce Allen, and scrap this Political Correctness crap. His comments were anything but racist, but there are far too many overly sensitive 'New Canadians' that are trying to change everything we hold dear.

ARE WE PART OF THE PROBLEM ??? Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear
of offending someone, will we still be the Country of Choice and still be CANADA if we continue
to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries who have come to live in
CANADA because it is the Country of Choice??????

Think about it!

IMMIGRANTS, NOT CANADIAN'S, MUST ADAPT.

It is Time for CANADA to speak up. If you agree ? Pass this along; if you don't agree ? Delete it and reap the ill wind because of your complacency!

Pass this along if you agree.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you're into spamming now too Avro? This is an old bullshyte email from well over a year ago.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Screw them.... Sing the Maple Leaf Forever. If the want their homelands so badly, there's an airport within taxi distance....
Wrong. Sing O`Canada as it was written and leave it at that.
scratch

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"It was written in English, adapted into French, and should be sung word for word
the way it was written."

That's really funny. One of the best laughs I've had all day.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Originally, Oh Canada was written in French. An English version didn't come until 25 years later ... and it wasn't a translation. The English version has changed several times to please everyone who was offended ... but its original French has remained unchanged.

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
First of all, the Canadian national anthem was NOT wriotten in English at all originally..

The anthem was written in French in Quebec for the St-Jean-Baptiste day in 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavallée, a French Canadian and the words were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier, another French Canadian. Not until 1906 was an Englsih version adapted.

I just wanted to correct that immense mistake in your writings... I find it sad that Canadians don't even know where their anthem, comes from...

Please see this article on Canada's National anthem:

Now that you all know where the anthem really comes from, I agree with the fact that our anthem should not under any circumstances be singed in Hindi at the Olympics..

This immigrant BS is getting rediculous. Canada, please support Quebec's proposed immigration pledge and instate it in the rest of the country to avoid having this non-sense happen in our country. It seems that we are no longer Kings in our own Castle...

How insulting!!

Moderator's Edit: Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
My version of O Canada is still the 1927 composition with no reference to a supreme being, rather than the 1980 version now in use. As far as O Canada being sung in other languages I see or hear no problem with that, it should help to enshrine a loyalty & pride in the country to newcomers.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My version of O Canada is still the 1927 composition with no reference to a supreme being, rather than the 1980 version now in use. As far as O Canada being sung in other languages I see or hear no problem with that, it should help to enshrine a loyalty & pride in the country to newcomers.

Following in that vein, WW, when India hosts the Olympics someday, they should fall all over themselves making sure that their national anthem is sung in English - Right. :angryfire:

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Following in that vein, WW, when India hosts the Olympics someday, they should fall all over themselves making sure that their national anthem is sung in English - Right. :angryfire:
Hey the second language of many Indians is English so its not a stretch to expect to hear the Indian national anthem in English at some point in time.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hey the second language of many Indians is English so its not a stretch to expect to hear the Indian national anthem in English at some point in time.

Well that is very interestng, WW. I still don't think our national anthem should be sung in anything but English and French.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I believe patriotism to a multicultural country comes in many languages. I believe hosting people requires diplomacy and flexibility.

WHILE THE ARTICLE IS PURE BULL, the spirit behind adapting your national pride so that it can be more properly shared is one I can get behind. To be upset if someone would like to show that pride, or compliment us, in a different language... that hits me as odd.

The language laws of our country ought to guarantee that our anthem be sung in both our national languages at an event... but I fail to see why they ought to limit any others.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol My Dad tried to translate the anthem into Anish, but it doesn't translate well and a lot of the words were still in English. I suppose he could always substitute similar words but Dad's a bit of a stickler for integrity.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
lol My Dad tried to translate the anthem into Anish, but it doesn't translate well and a lot of the words were still in English. I suppose he could always substitute similar words but Dad's a bit of a stickler for integrity.

I heard the Anthem in Anish at Jocko Point when they opened the new fire hall. Maw McLeod did a great job coaching the kids of Nbissing in how to get the words just right. It was beautiful!