Liberal leadership race

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's going to be fun to watch.

Bob Rae gearing up for Liberal leadership race

Updated Fri. Oct. 31 2008 6:30 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
Bob Rae said Friday he will be a candidate for the Liberal leadership and strongly rejected persistent rumours that he was backing away from a run at the party's top job.
"I have every intention of being a candidate, I have expressed that very directly to my leader, Mr. Dion," Rae told CTV's Mike Duffy Live on Friday afternoon.
Rae has reportedly sent a letter to Dion asking that he be relieved from his duties as foreign affairs critic, so he could concentrate on his leadership run.
Rae has also started to mobilize his campaign machinery, and he held a conference call Friday afternoon with about 60 organizers from across the country.
"Our campaign will be stronger, better organized than it was last time, and we're going to win. I'm looking forward to it very much," he said, referring to his unsuccessful bid for party leader in 2006.
Rae was forced to announce his intentions because of swirling rumours suggesting he was having second thoughts about entering the leadership fray.
"This is absolute nonsense," Rae said. "It is not worthy of the political process."
Some of Rae's strategists believe the rumours are being spread by supporters of potential leadership rivals Michael Ignatieff and John Manley, The Canadian Press reported.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008

Updated Fri. Oct. 31 2008 6:30 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
Bob Rae said Friday he will be a candidate for the Liberal leadership and strongly rejected persistent rumours that he was backing away from a run at the party's top job.
"I have every intention of being a candidate, I have expressed that very directly to my leader, Mr. Dion," Rae told CTV's Mike Duffy Live on Friday afternoon.
Rae has reportedly sent a letter to Dion asking that he be relieved from his duties as foreign affairs critic, so he could concentrate on his leadership run.
Rae has also started to mobilize his campaign machinery, and he held a conference call Friday afternoon with about 60 organizers from across the country.
"Our campaign will be stronger, better organized than it was last time, and we're going to win. I'm looking forward to it very much," he said, referring to his unsuccessful bid for party leader in 2006.
Rae was forced to announce his intentions because of swirling rumours suggesting he was having second thoughts about entering the leadership fray.
"This is absolute nonsense," Rae said. "It is not worthy of the political process."
Some of Rae's strategists believe the rumours are being spread by supporters of potential leadership rivals Michael Ignatieff and John Manley, The Canadian Press reported.

Good Luck Bob,
You'll need it.
No-one has forgotten your political past.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Cash-strapped Liberals fall behind NDP in fundraising

1 day ago
OTTAWA — The once-mighty Liberal party has raised less money from fewer donors so far this year than the NDP, traditionally the poor sister of Canadian politics.
According to quarterly financial returns posted by Elections Canada, fewer than 35,000 donors contributed a total of $3.6 million to the Liberal party from January to September this year.
Over the same period, the Conservatives vacuumed up almost $15 million from more than 125,000 individuals.
Even the NDP did better than the Liberals, raking in $3.7 million from almost 44,000 contributors.
The dismal financial news comes just as Liberals are digesting the results of the Oct. 14 election, in which the party fell to its lowest share of the popular vote - 26.2 per cent - since Confederation.
Party president Doug Ferguson said he expects the party will be left with a $2-3 million campaign debt after it receives rebates on campaign expenses from Elections Canada.
Moreover, since each party receives a public subsidy worth $1.95 per vote, the Liberals' reduced vote share will translate into an annual loss of $1.6 million for the party.
Ferguson acknowledged the Liberals' financial straits are worrying. But he noted that the party traditionally rakes in the bulk of its donations in the fourth quarter and predicted that by year end the Liberals will surpass the NDP in fundraising.
However, the party will have to compete for scarce dollars with a half dozen or more Liberal leadership contenders, who will soon be scouring the country for donations.
Candidates to succeed outgoing Leader Stephane Dion are expected to bolt quickly out of the gate after the Liberal national executive meets next weekend to set the timing, location and rules for the leadership convention. The convention is most likely to be held next May in Vancouver.
The Liberal party has been struggling to raise money since 2004, when political financing reforms severely limited personal and corporate contributions. Stephen Harper's Conservatives tightened those rules even further in 2007, banning corporate donations outright and capping annual personal contributions at $1,100.
Traditionally most reliant on big corporate donations, the Liberal party has had the most trouble adapting to the new regime. By contrast, the Tories have thrived, tapping into their Reform party roots to master the art of raising lots of small donations from thousands upon thousands of individuals.
"There's a recognition that we do have to change our fundraising culture," Ferguson said.
"I'm concerned, of course, but I sense a desire and a willingness of the party to make the changes we need to make and turn things around."
Ferguson said his goal is to eventually match the Conservatives "dollar for dollar."
Dion has also made fundraising his top priority during his remaining few months as leader. He blames the Liberals' election defeat on the fact that the party could not afford to counter costly Tory attack ads that denigrated him and his controversial carbon tax plan.
Ferguson hypothesized that the Tories and NDP have been able to tap into a sense of grievance and passion among their supporters to raise money. But Liberals, who tend to be moderate centrists, are generally less aggrieved or impassioned and it's consequently proved harder to motivate them to give money.
"At either end of the political spectrum, I think people are more motivated to give. I think it's because of emotion."
Still, Ferguson said the jaw-dropping fundraising success of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama proves that average people will open their wallets if they're inspired.
"We have to give meaning and value to being a Liberal. We also have to give them inspiration."

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon

You got that right.
Should be more fun than a ferret down the trousers.

Harper's gotta be laying awake dreaming about a Bob Rae led opposition.
Dreaming of 10 or 12 Ontario seats getting shook loose.

I'm still putting my money on the Iglet.
Nothing like a naturalized American returning home to rescue us in our time of need.

Its just gotta be better than Canadian Idol.
Speaking of Canadian Idol I wonder if Harper has considered drafting Ben Muldoon to
balance out the great Justin threat?

Trex

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Cash-strapped Liberals fall behind NDP in fundraising

Traditionally most reliant on big corporate donations, the Liberal party has had the most trouble adapting to the new regime.

The Libs are the ones who changed the rules....remember old boy.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Prove it.
Cretin is the one who first brought in the rule changes knowing full well that most of the Liberal funding came from corporations; but what did he care, since he was on the way out and skewering Martin was foremost in Cretin's puny brain.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Cretin is the one who first brought in the rule changes knowing full well that most of the Liberal funding came from corporations; but what did he care, since he was on the way out and skewering Martin was foremost in Cretin's puny brain.

That's not proof, it's hearsay.

now prove it.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I love your spelling of Chretien!

Good day to you scratch, when ever Walter talks about the Liberals he misspells their names to show respect…….
I have noticed that when ever he talks about the Conservatives he never makes spelling errors….
Poor Waltar……………………..