Quebec having immigrants sign a pledge to Quebec values and laws is great progess

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
This week, there have been talks of introducing a pledge to Quebec values and Laws for immigrants settling here.

I for one think that this is a good idea.

It is only logical for a newcomer to adapt to the customs of the host country.

If I decide that i want to move to Russia, I have to learn Russian and adapt to Russian laws and customers... If i go to any other country the same applies.

Therefore tha same MUST apply to immigrants coming here.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This week, there have been talks of introducing a pledge to Quebec values and Laws for immigrants settling here.

If I decide that i want to move to Russia, I have to learn Russian and adapt to Russian laws and customers... If i go to any other country the same applies.

This thread is duplicating one from earlier today. Perhaps the Mod's (in their infinite wisdom)
can merge them?
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/qu-bec/78766-reminding-immigrants-our-great-expectations.html

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Think about it for a second, perhaps the pledge should be to Canadian values seeing as how the country is Canada not Quebec.

Wake up!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Think about it for a second, perhaps the pledge should be to Canadian values seeing as how the country is Canada not Quebec.

Wake up!
Quebec has control of immigration and I think this pledge would include a lot of Canadian values. The province is an integral part of the country.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Quebec has control of immigration and I think this pledge would include a lot of Canadian values. The province is an integral part of the country.
You 'think', you don't know... How about language , for example, they are promoting French only. No Canadian value there....

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You 'think', you don't know... How about language , for example, they are promoting French only. No Canadian value there....
So what are they promoting in New Brunswick? And what would they be promoting in Canada. As much as it is abused the country has two official languages.
Without one or the other we wouldn't have a country to immigrate to.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
So what are they promoting in New Brunswick? And what would they be promoting in Canada. As much as it is abused the country has two official languages.
Without one or the other we wouldn't have a country to immigrate to.
You make a good point about 2 official languages, but in quebec there is one. Keep in mind it is illegal to have an English sign in quebec...

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You make a good point about 2 official languages, but in quebec there is one. Keep in mind it is illegal to have an English sign in quebec...
So what, learn the language, it is a bonus in today's world to be bilingual. And it certainly doesn't hurt your resume.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
So what, learn the language, it is a bonus in today's world to be bilingual. And it certainly doesn't hurt your resume.
And because I think you are a reasonable and open guy, read this:
http://www.answers.com/Justin

Justin Trudeau
Trudeau at the 2006 Liberal leadership campaign
Born December 25 1971 (1971--) (age 35)
Ottawa, Ontario Political party Liberal Spouse Sophie Grégoire Relations Pierre Trudeau and Margaret Trudeau Alma mater McGill University Occupation Teacher Religion Roman Catholic Justin Trudeau (born December 25, 1971 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) is the eldest son of the late former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and Margaret Sinclair Trudeau Kemper. Trudeau has recently won the federal Liberal Party nomination in the Montreal riding of Papineau.

Early life and personal life

Trudeau and his younger brother, Alexandre (Sacha), were both born on December 25. Pierre and Margaret Trudeau separated in 1977, when Justin was 6 years old. Pierre retired as Prime Minister in 1984.
Justin Trudeau was only the second child in Canadian history to be born during a father's term as Prime Minister; he was preceded by John A. Macdonald's youngest daughter Margaret Mary Macdonald.
Pierre Trudeau raised his children in relative privacy in Montreal. Justin studied English literature (BA , McGill University) and Education (B.Ed, University of British Columbia), eventually becoming a teacher in British Columbia. He is currently completing a Master of Arts in Geography at McGill University.

Justin Trudeau

At the state funeral of Pierre Trudeau in 2000, Justin delivered a memorable eulogy.[1]
On May 28, 2005, Justin Trudeau married Sophie Grégoire, a former model and Quebec television host. Trudeau is one of several children of former Prime Ministers who have become Canadian media personalities. The others are Ben Mulroney, Catherine Clark, and Justin's younger brother, Alexandre. Though Pierre Trudeau and Brian Mulroney were longtime foes, this rivalry did not carry over to their sons, as Ben Mulroney was a guest at Justin Trudeau's wedding. In April of 2007, the couple announced they were expecting their first child.[2] On October 18, 2007, Grégoire-Trudeau gave birth to the couple's son, Xavier James Trudeau, in Montreal, Quebec.[3]

Media and political career

Advocacy

Trudeau has used his media footing to offer his opinion or act as an advocate for various issues.

Entrance into political realm

Trudeau (left) is seated next to Darfurian refugee Tragi Mustafa, and an unknown female event organiser is seated next to Roméo Dallaire (right)

In January 2007, rumours were getting persistent about Justin Trudeau entering politics, especially after being highly active in the 2006 Liberal convention.[6] It was rumoured that Trudeau was going to run in the Montreal Outremont riding which is a traditional Liberal stronghold, after former Minister of Transport Jean Lapierre resigned from the House of Commons to become a political commentator.[7]
A nomination vote for the Liberal candidate in Papineau was held on April 29, 2007, which Trudeau handily won. Trudeau received 690 votes, while runners-up Mary Deros received 350 votes and Basilio Giordano received 220. 634 votes were needed to win the nomination.[8] With his nomination victory, Trudeau will enter the next election against incumbent Bloc Québécois MP Vivian Barbot.
CBC Television announced in April 2007 that Justin Trudeau would appear in the two-part miniseries, The Great War, portraying Talbot Mercer Papineau (1883-1917). Papineau was killed in action in Ypres, Belgium and was among Canada's first Rhodes Scholars. Coincidentally, Trudeau holds the Liberal nomination in the very riding named after Talbot Mercer Papineau's lineage: this includes his great-great-grandfather, seigneur Joseph Papineau (1752-1841) and Talbot's great-grandfather, reformist Patriote Louis-Joseph Papineau (1786-1871).

References

1. ^ cbc.ca: Justin Trudeau's eulogy
  2. ^ Baby on the way for Justin Trudeau and wife
  3. ^ CTV.ca | Justin Trudeau and wife Sophie welcome new son
  4. ^ GlobeandMail.com: Trudeau says Quebec nationalism an ‘old idea'
  5. ^ ctv.ca: Delegates chat with Trudeau crown prince
  6. ^ ctv.ca: Justin Trudeau eyeing federal politics: report
  7. ^ ctv.ca: Quebec Liberal MP Jean Lapierre to resign
  8. ^ Trudeau wins Montreal riding

External links

Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Justin Trudeau

Wikinews has related news: Justin Trudeau

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
LOL, wake up! French shouldn't be forced on you which is exactly what is happening in quebec. I'm glad I got out of there when I did...

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
LOL, wake up! French shouldn't be forced on you which is exactly what is happening in quebec. I'm glad I got out of there when I did...
It was your choice. Your loss.
Forced. As in a gun to your head, or imprisonment, etc.
The top four business languages:

Chinese
English
Toss up between French and Spanish.

Ambitious: being unilingual is not advantageous.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
It was your choice. Your loss.
Forced. As in a gun to your head, or imprisonment, etc.
The top four business languages:

Chinese
English
Toss up between French and Spanish.

Ambitious: being unilingual is not advantageous.

More like going to jail if you don't obey the language police. And french and Spanish is way down in the populatory list...
And it certainly was not my loss. It was quebec's loss... they also lost a lot of company headquarters at the time of trudeau to Ontario.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
More like going to jail if you don't obey the language police. And french and Spanish is way down in the populatory list...
And it certainly was not my loss. It was quebec's loss... they also lost a lot of company headquarters at the time of trudeau to Ontario.
By law Montreal and Vancouver are the banking capitals of Canada.
Please name ALL the company headquarters that left Quebec?
Dazzle me, please.

scratch

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal

By the way, it is not illegal to put English signs up in Quebec...

English content is allowed as long as a French translation is of greater or equal size...

Therefore, we can say that English-speaking consumers are represented.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

Wake up!

Quebec as a provincial entity would ask immigrants to endorse Quebec values. That doesn't stop Canada from doing the same thing. If both Quebec and Canada did so, than immigrants coming to Quebec would be doing 2 pledges.

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal

It is not Quebec that lost out the most in this case, it is the companies... Besides, we just replaced the companies that left with Quebec companies that do just as well and contribute to our GDP (second largest in Canada)

Quebec is one of the top consumer provinces of the country so the companies that left gave up 10s of billions of dollars in profit from 1980 to now.

So what have we learned here? Quebec is still a powerhouse in the Canadian economy and some companies missed out on some serious profit....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
As it goes for being bilingual as being a benifit, that might be in some cases.... however I never needed french for any of my jobs yet, and I imagine I won't anytime soon. Being bilingual in english and french maybe a good thing if I plan on moving to Quebec or France, but I have no desire to do that. All the countries or provinces I think about possibly moving to in the future are pretty well all english.... so I see no need for it in my personal life.

Now in regards to immigrants to our country and making things maditory/forced for them to do in order to adapt, I would like to present this little tid bit for all to read and then perhaps think on whether or not all this maditory pledge crap is actually nessicary:

Rural N.S. good fit for immigrants, transplanted Iranian says
Rural N.S. good fit for immigrants, transplanted Iranian says - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

NEW GLASGOW — Rural Nova Scotia is one of the best places to go if you’re an immigrant, says Flora Riyahi.

Ms. Riyahi, who emigrated from Iran to Truro 18 years ago, will represent the Colchester Immigration Partnership at a forum on population decline to be held here Tuesday evening.

She and her family are "living proof" that it’s possible for immigrants to live happily in small-town Nova Scotia, she said in an interview Friday.

Her children could come home from school for lunch every day, and she doesn’t spend hours locked in traffic to go to and from work, she said, ticking off the advantages.

"A small community is one big happy family," she said. "In a city, you’re just one more person."

Immigrating to a smaller community means learning the language and the culture by necessity, so new citizens become integrated faster, she said.

Ms. Riyahi said she has relatives who have lived in large Canadian cities for decades and have never learned English, because doctors, lawyers, schools, shops, newspapers, television and everything else are available in their native language.

It’s always hard for the first person to arrive from another country, but "someone has to start," she said.

When she arrived in Truro, there was just one other Iranian family, and now there are at least seven, plus four in New Glasgow. The Colchester Immigration Partnership has succeeded in bringing in 57 people since 2005, and more will come, she said.

It’s easy enough to attract immigrants, but the key to keeping new people is employment, she said. Prejudice against people from other countries exists, but employers’ reluctance to accept foreign qualifications and certification processes is a bigger hurdle, she said.

"People are starting all over again and they need to make a living. All they need is a chance," said Ms. Riyahi. "Eighteen years ago, someone gave me a chance."

Ms. Riyahi, who became a Canadian citizen in 1989, is a financial adviser and is also vice-chairwoman of the province’s Immigration Advisory Council.

"I love this country, and I love this culture, and I want to be part of it," she said. "Rural Nova Scotia is a fabulous place to live."

Ms. Riyahi will be joined at the Nov. 4 panel by Mount Allison University professor David Bruce, lead author of Rural Repopulation of Atlantic Canada; Pictou County high school student Ben MacLean, who will speak on results of a survey on the needs of young people; and Amanda MacInnis of Cumberland Regional Economic Development Association, speaking about repatriation and return migration.

The forum, a project of Sustainable Pictou County and Pictou Regional Development Commission, will be held at the North Nova Education Centre, 343 Park St., New Glasgow, from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Admission is free.

I believe what she says about larger cities is true, in that some immigrants just don't have to really learn the english/french languages since the community is so large, they can communicate with many who have come from the same background. However when they come to the country, they understand that they are starting a whole new life and have to adapt to the ways we have here, but that doesn't mean they have to abandon what they already know as their lives.

What I'm trying to get at, is that I know what it's like in Truro and New Glasgow, as NG was where I was born and raised..... I know just how small town and sometimes, small minded the communities can be against those different from them, but there are no oaths or regulations immigrants need to meet before they are accepted into the communities and apparently many of them are merging into the communities just fine.

So if small towns and communities can intergrate immigrants just fine, what's the excuse for elsewhere? What's the excuse for Quebec?

Larger population of similar immigrants which makes it harder for them to adapt?

Perhaps.... then perhaps the solution is not to force more bureaucracy down everybody's throat..... send new immigrants to rural areas of the country where there is a demand for skilled workers first and then they have no choice but to learn how to adapt..... all the while still giving them the space and freedom to keep their herritage. After two years, they can move to wherever they wish in the country.

*shrugs* Makes sense to me.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Quebec as a provincial entity would ask immigrants to endorse Quebec values. That doesn't stop Canada from doing the same thing. If both Quebec and Canada did so, than immigrants coming to Quebec would be doing 2 pledges.

Quebec is not special, one country, one pledge...

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Quebec is not special, one country, one pledge...

It's not about Quebec being special. Any other province can hold the same type of pledge if it wants. Canada isn't a big homogeneous chunk of anglo-saxon monarchy lovers. It's a patchwork and provinces have a certain amount of autonomy in regards to the country as whole.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
What a good idea.
Trust Quebec.

The other provinces should follow suit as soon as possible.

There are a heck of a lot of good ideas on the Provincial level that have come out of Qubec.
Some bad ones of course.

The rest of the provinces could do worse than to follow in Quebec's footsteps on a few issues.

Trex