Requests to be confined: how should they be handled?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Imagine the following imaginary scenario. It might not be realistic, but it is asimplified version of what does happen at times:

A friend comes up to you one day and says that he has fantasies he can't control about killing people... and he's serious. He tells you he called the police to ask them to lock him up, but since he'd not committed any crome yet! or if he had, his sentence was over, ther was nothing they could do.

What would you do? What would you think ought to be done? He himself is saying that if he's let loose, he'll kill, or if he has killed already, he'll kill again. What are you ideas on this?

Here's mine. If a person sincerely requests to be locked up, I would say that we lock him up, even if it's a voluntary cooperative lock-up. Of course we'd expect him to work while in prison (even for-profit work; companies could establish factories or whatever else on prison grounds if they wish), and to pay room and board, but essentially I'd say such a person ought to be applauded for actually saying quite honestly that he can't control himself and ought to be locked up before he commits the crime, and the police would be nuts to force this person out of prison against his own will if he himself says that he is still a threat to society.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
He could try signing himself into any one of several mental health facilities....

True.

I started this thread after reading the one in the news section about the man who'd sexually assaulted minors and then when he was going to be released at the end of his sentence he'd asked to remain confined saying that he couldn't control himself but he was released anyway. What do you think had gone wrong there?

I suppose when he was being released and requested to remain confined, the police should have immediately have offered to have him speak to atherapist. A therapist could then have advised him to turn himself into a hospital, and even introduce him to one himself and even provide transportation if necessary.

Just my idea.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yes, that was my first thought as well. The police should lock him up, then make arrangements for mental health assistance, and he should automatically be admitted
to a hospital. He doesn't have to commit a crime to be committed for psycological
evaluation and treatment.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Sorry Nuggler.

It's just that murder is illegal here so he'd probably get in trouble.

He'd be better off in Iraq where it's legal.