Rape kits

View Poll Results: Should rape victims pay for their own rape kits?
Yes, they should pay 1 7.69%
No, they shouldn't pay 12 92.31%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Avro
No Party Affiliation
#1
Just wondering, how many of you think rape victims should have to pay for their own rape kits?
 
hermanntrude
#2
what the hell is a rape kit?
 
Zzarchov
#3
To Quote the Daily Show

"Whats the big deal, they were raped not robbed"

(yes I know im going to hell)


In a serious note to a serious issue, as bad as paying for a rape kit sounds as an attack on Palin , you have to remember that that is the US.

If your two year old child is hit by a drunk driver, you still have to pay his medical bills, including medical attention that did nothing to prevent his death.


So if you make a greiving mother pay for inneffectual treatment of her murdered toddler, why on earth would you expect the state to pay for rape kits?


All health care should be free, thats my view.
 
tracy
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

what the hell is a rape kit?

It's an evidence kit that emergency room workers use to collect evidence from the bodies of rape victims (semen, skin under fingernails, etc). Some places have actually billed rape victims for this to be done since their insurance companies wouldn't pay for it. It was apparently an issue in Sarah Pallin's town when she was mayor so it's been in the news recently.

It is absolutely despicable that anyone would expect a rape victim to pay to have evidence of a crime collected. Anyone who says otherwise is a hypocritical mysogynist... unless they also think murder victims' estates should pay for collecting evidence in murders, robbery victims should pay for collection of evidence to prove robberies, etc.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#5
Who would be so insensitive as to ask?
 
tracy
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

If your two year old child is hit by a drunk driver, you still have to pay his medical bills, including medical attention that did nothing to prevent his death.

Not if the drunk driver has any insurance or any assets. You can sue for all of them (or rather, your health insurance company can sue if they covered the care). In reality few hospitals would be willing to risk the bad PR by sending a bill to parents of a dead child like this.
 
Avro
No Party Affiliation
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

To Quote the Daily Show

"Whats the big deal, they were raped not robbed"

(yes I know im going to hell)


In a serious note to a serious issue, as bad as paying for a rape kit sounds as an attack on Palin , you have to remember that that is the US.

If your two year old child is hit by a drunk driver, you still have to pay his medical bills, including medical attention that did nothing to prevent his death.


So if you make a greiving mother pay for inneffectual treatment of her murdered toddler, why on earth would you expect the state to pay for rape kits?


All health care should be free, thats my view.

A rape kit isn't treatment, it's a way of collecting evidence to catch the scum that did it.

Does the woman of the child pay for police forensic work to catch the person that ran over her child?

No, so your analogy is moot.
 
tracy
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Who would be so insensitive as to ask?

Apparently a police chief in Alaska who didn't want them cutting into his budget.
 
Avro
No Party Affiliation
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Who would be so insensitive as to ask?

Govenor Palin thinks the vivtim should pay and in her state they do.

I notice someone said yes, do they wish to reveal themselves or be a coward.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by tracyView Post

Apparently a police chief in Alaska who didn't want them cutting into his budget.

If he'd served and protected, she wouldn't need the kit....
 
tracy
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

If he'd served and protected, she wouldn't need the kit....

True enough. Unfortunately Alaska has some of the worst sexual assault statistics in the entire country.
 
B00Mer
Republican
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by AvroView Post

Just wondering, how many of you think rape victims should have to pay for their own rape kits?

That has to be the most ignorant question ever asked.

Read your own question; rape victims

They are victims.. maybe bill the rapist for the kit once due process has been taken and the individual is found guilty.

Then again I believe in chemical castration for rapists, and the death penalty for murderers.
 
TenPenny
#13
Well, the taxpayers of Alaska have been paying Palin's salary, so....
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Well, the taxpayers of Alaska have been paying Palin's salary, so....

they should take part of the blame for her idiocy?
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#15
The huge difference I see between a rape kit and medical treatment is that one serves a purpose to the woman, the other serves a purpose to society. Paying for something that will make a difference to your health will make sense to a woman who's been traumatized. But, paying for something that will draw the whole process out with court, etc., has been shown to be something women shy away from even when it doesn't mean a bill to them in the end.

What other parts of criminal investigations should we start charging the victims for? Should we charge the mother of a missing toddler for the crime scene unit that comes in to look for fingerprints in the child's room? Should we charge the mother that Zz mentioned about, whose child was hit by a vehicle, for the assessment of paint chips to prove that the drunk was the one who hit them? Where exactly do we draw the line?

edited to add (sorry... didn't mean to almost directly echo avro's argument... whoops)
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

That has to be the most ignorant question ever asked.

He asked a question. He didn't state that he thinks it's a smashing idea.
 
Nuggler
#17
......Seriously, I am used to police reports stating the "perp" had a "rape kit".........rope, duct tape, knife, gun,blindfold, etc........This being the case, I do believe they should have to buy their own.

On the other hand, the victim.........of course not.........how ****ing cheap can we be!!!

Stupid premise, stupid answers, no?
 
B00Mer
Republican
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

He asked a question. He didn't state that he thinks it's a smashing idea.

o.k. I am going to take a guess you are a young lady.

You should be enraged at such a suggestion. I see so many attacks against women rights, and women actually just stepping aside.

So lets ban abortions along with charging for rape kits.
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#19
READ the thread Boomer... both avro and I have said it's a bad course of action. He also called out whoever said they ought to have to pay. So what are you going on about?
 
B00Mer
Republican
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

READ the thread Boomer... both avro and I have said it's a bad course of action. He also called out whoever said they ought to have to pay. So what are you going on about?

So regardless how idotic this idea is, you are saying that I am incorrect.

So in your debate, this is a good question?
 
Zzarchov
#21
My bad, I had misinterpretted what a Rape kit is.

Does seem odd to pay for collecting evidence, Is there more to this story? Is it for example "Pay if it turns out there was no rape"?
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

My bad, I had misinterpretted what a Rape kit is.

Does seem odd to pay for collecting evidence, Is there more to this story? Is it for example "Pay if it turns out there was no rape"?

If someone claims there was a rape, and there wasn't, there's no paying, there's a charge of filing a false police report. If someone won't speak, and they decide to run a rape kit, that's their own issue, not the unresponsive person's. I really can't see a reason, or a time, where it would be appropriate to charge the cost back to the person from whom evidence was collected.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

READ the thread Boomer... both avro and I have said it's a bad course of action. He also called out whoever said they ought to have to pay. So what are you going on about?

This police chief is from Alaska - Pallin turf - and he's a McCain fan.
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

This police chief is from Alaska - Pallin turf - and he's a McCain fan.

This police chief is a moron and shouldn't be allowed to deal with crime in any capacity if he is so blind to the effects of rape as to suggest that the victims be charged if they want police help.
 
shadowshiv
Free Thinker
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

This police chief is a moron and shouldn't be allowed to deal with crime in any capacity if he is so blind to the effects of rape as to suggest that the victims be charged if they want police help.

I voted no. There are some things that should not have a cost attached to it.

The police chief needs to get turfed and someone with a little empathy towards the people that are under his "protection" to get the job.
 
B00Mer
Republican
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

This police chief is from Alaska - Pallin turf - and he's a McCain fan.

That toxic metal syndrome affecting your brain again up there in Sudbury, ON.

I said I disagree with charging women for the rape kit. These are victims, and should not be victimized again by having to pay for a rap kit which is designed to catch a purpitrator.

Only you lone world would try to twist something from nothing...
 
B00Mer
Republican
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

This police chief is a moron and shouldn't be allowed to deal with crime in any capacity if he is so blind to the effects of rape as to suggest that the victims be charged if they want police help.

agreed..
 
shadowshiv
Free Thinker
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

That toxic metal syndrome affecting your brain again up there in Sudbury, ON.

I said I disagree with charging women for the rape kit. These are victims, and should not be victimized again by having to pay for a rap kit which is designed to catch a purpitrator.

Only you lone world would try to twist something from nothing...

From the looks of it, lonewolf is talking about the Police Chief being a McCain fan.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

That toxic metal syndrome affecting your brain again up there in Sudbury, ON.

I said I disagree with charging women for the rape kit. These are victims, and should not be victimized again by having to pay for a rap kit which is designed to catch a purpitrator.

Only you lone world would try to twist something from nothing...




................. ..... /́6/)
.................. ..,/6 .//
.................. ./.. ./ /
............./́6/' ...'/́6 6`q̧
........../'/.../... ./... ..../̈6\
........('(...́(.. ?...... ,~/'...')
.........\.......... ..... ..\/..../
..........''...\.... ..... . _.q́
............\....... ..... ..(
..............\..... ..... ...\
Last edited by lone wolf; Oct 7th, 2008 at 06:16 PM..
 
B00Mer
Republican
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

From the looks of it, lonewolf is talking about the Police Chief being a McCain fan.

well then waht's the deal with lone wold quoting what I said??
 

Similar Threads

4
The `rape` of Okinawa
by JBeee | Mar 7th, 2008
10
Rape for Revenge
by karrie | Jan 13th, 2008
no new posts