Taliban urges Canada's next PM to pull troops

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...taliban_canadian_election_/20080909?hub=World

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- A Taliban spokesman says he's well aware of Canada's looming election and he supports whichever party is more likely to pull Canadian troops out of Afghanistan.

How democratic of you giving a Canadian party support..... too bad we're locked in there until 2011.

Qari Muhammad Yussef says the election is why insurgents have stepped up attacks on Canadians in Afghanistan.

Really? The attacks have been stepped up months before there was official talk of an election.... the actions do not line up with the words.

He says that includes the most recent roadside bomb attack in Panjwaii district that killed Sgt. Scott Shipway on Sunday.

While he doesn't know which party is most likely to withdraw Canadian troops from Afghanistan, the spokesman says such a platform will be "good for that party and for their nation and for the Canadian people."

I somewhat agree, but certainly not by the reasons he may feel it would be good.

He says he's familiar with Prime Minister Stephen Harper, but isn't sure about the other candidates or parties vying for the country's top job.

Well hell.... blow a few more people up and you might get to see the Green Party on TV so you can know more about them.... geez.

As for the impending U.S. election, Yussef says he doesn't care much for American politics and believes the next president, regardless of who is chosen, will be just as bad as the current one.

That's possible.

Good to know that the Taliban have more interest in Canadian Politics then they do with US Politics.... :roll:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Related Update:

Party leaders blast Taliban remarks on Canadian election
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008/09/10/afghan-election.html

Canadian party leaders are talking tough in reaction to Taliban claims that insurgents have stepped up their attacks on Canadian troops in Afghanistan in an attempt to influence the Canadian election.

The militant group wants the next government to stop sending troops to Afghanistan, a Taliban spokesman told CBC News on Tuesday.

The Taliban threat is "reprehensible," NDP Leader Jack Layton said, adding that Canadians will decide Canadian policies.

Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion told reporters he refuses to be intimidated by the Taliban, and that the Liberals would keep troops in Afghanistan until 2011.

"All party leaders should put partisan politics aside and rally behind our troops and their mission. And Parliament has made a decision on this matter," said Dimitri Soudas, a spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
Afghanistan will be troop 'graveyard,' says Taliban

The Taliban spokesman said earlier that Canada has come under U.S. influence.

"Our message to the Canadian leaders, the Canadian people, the Canadian government and all the Canadians is that they should not send their sons to Afghanistan, where they will die for the benefit of the Americans," Qari Muhammad Yussef told CBC News in Kandahar.

Wait..... Canadian Leaders, Canadian People covers pretty much everybody.... what's with the repitition of Canadian Government and all the Canadians? Silly Taliban.

If Canadian forces do not withdraw, he said, "Afghanistan will be a graveyard for them — as it was for them in the past."

Yussef said he's familiar with Harper but isn't sure about the other candidates or parties running in the election.

Afghanistan will be a graveyard for them? I think there's more Taliban Bodies kicking around in Afghanistan then there are Canadian.

Did someone kill their top propaganda guy or something, becayse they're not making much sense these days.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's good advice. We should get into the opium and heroine racket like UK and USA instead of the hospital and bridge business, NATOs holding out on us and we are dying for banking scum not Canadians. Christ it's Dieppe all over again, just send the big dumb Canadians in to test the defences. We are still being led by a snot nose aristocratic militarist from London town still doing the goddamn colonialist shuffle for god and country. I know what we need over there is trenches and gas so we'll feel like Canadians.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We've lost almost a hundred soldiers in Afghanistan but those soldiers have a kill ratio of over forty to one, so I can imagine the Taliban would want our soldiers out of there. The taliban talk a great battle, but if for every Canadian soldier they kill, they lose over forty soldiers, they are fight a losing war. The Taliban spokesman is an idiot.
I'm not particularly proud of those numbers, but they do point out that our soldiers are well trained, but then we knew that didn't we.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Afghanistan will be a graveyard for them? I think there's more Taliban Bodies kicking around in Afghanistan then there are Canadian.

Did someone kill their top propaganda guy or something, becayse they're not making much sense these days.

Here! Here!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
We've lost almost a hundred soldiers in Afghanistan but those soldiers have a kill ratio of over forty to one, so I can imagine the Taliban would want our soldiers out of there. The taliban talk a great battle, but if for every Canadian soldier they kill, they lose over forty soldiers, they are fight a losing war. The Taliban spokesman is an idiot.
I'm not particularly proud of those numbers, but they do point out that our soldiers are well trained, but then we knew that didn't we.

I did.

I also appreciate the openess of our troops on their operations, what occured, how it occured, why it occured, etc..... I also admire the fact that we report every troop lost.... they should not die just to be listed off as just a number.

The wounded however, is a different story.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The Taliban can kiss my Canadian ass! I think I'll send off an extra round of letters to the troops this week.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I got a feeling it's conservative propaganda plain and simple

Very easy to see that madudon………too bad losing valuable men and women for a bull sh!t cause, a cause that will never be justified…….in this life time…………

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Very easy to see that madudon………too bad losing valuable men and women for a bull sh!t cause, a cause that will never be justified…….in this life time…………
Did you forget about the world trade center towers??? Canadians were lost there and that was an act of war.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
OOOoohhhh... "9-11" so STFU

WONDERFUL way to play a non-argument.

BTW Soc not everyone sees it- that post earned me negative rep with "this is why you are an idiot" posted by some anonymous coward :D

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Did you forget about the world trade center towers??? Canadians were lost there and that was an act of war.

If we talk reality and not self serving BS, the 911 attack was intended although wrong against the American administration, they did not attack the US BECAUSE THEY NEW THERE WAS CANADIANS IN THE TWO TOWERS……… WE GOT THAT????? SO……… THIS WAR IN AFGHANISTAN WAS NOTHING BUT LIP SERVICE FROM HARPER TO BUSH……..

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
If we talk reality and not self serving BS, the 911 attack was intended although wrong against the American administration, they did not attack the US BECAUSE THEY NEW THERE WAS CANADIANS IN THE TWO TOWERS……… WE GOT THAT????? SO……… THIS WAR IN AFGHANISTAN WAS NOTHING BUT LIP SERVICE FROM HARPER TO BUSH……..
The broken record keeps on.... You just can't accept the facts can you???

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
OOOoohhhh... "9-11" so STFU

WONDERFUL way to play a non-argument.

BTW Soc not everyone sees it- that post earned me negative rep with "this is why you are an idiot" posted by some anonymous coward :D

The truth is worth telling and it bothers me to see people on a self serving path calling you or me and anyone who is against the war, an idiot who happened to see the truth in its real form, especially when reality speaks the unvarnished truth……

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

I'm sorry you feel that way. We went to war against the Taliban while the Liberals under Chretien were the sitting government. So it's not really some Harper/Bush thing. As well, I think it was all but one or two of the terrorists that flew those planes into those buildings were trained in Afghanistan to commit such horrendous acts against people, not governments.

While I don't support the war in Iraq I sure do support the war in Afghanistan. Getting rid of Taliban is a job worth doing.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Somewhat true, but wrong..... Paul Martin chucked us into Afghanistan, not Harper.... he's just carrying on this load of crap that was passed onto him. Don't Blame Harper for starting this when it was Martin's responsibility at the time.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I'm sorry you feel that way. We went to war against the Taliban while the Liberals under Chretien were the sitting government. So it's not really some Harper/Bush thing. As well, I think it was all but one or two of the terrorists that flew those planes into those buildings were trained in Afghanistan to commit such horrendous acts against people, not governments.

While I don't support the war in Iraq I sure do support the war in Afghanistan. Getting rid of Taliban is a job worth doing.

While I might be confused as to which PM sent us there, Martin or Chretien, it was the Liberals who sent us there, which I agree on.

But I do remember hearing back when this attack occured, even the Taliban did not approve of Osama's plans of attack and he got shatted on for it. This all would have been over with if the Taliban gave him up to the US, but they didn't..... but they were not directly responsible for the attacks either.

Here's a little tid bit of information that doesn't make it around these days.... supplied 6 days after the attack and by CNN:

Bin Laden says he wasn't behind attacks
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/09/16/inv.binladen.denial/

DOHA, Qatar (CNN) -- Islamic militant leader Osama bin Laden, the man the United States considers the prime suspect in last week's terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, denied any role Sunday in the actions believed to have killed thousands.

In a statement issued to the Arabic satellite channel Al Jazeera, based in Qatar, bin Laden said, "The U.S. government has consistently blamed me for being behind every occasion its enemies attack it."

"I would like to assure the world that I did not plan the recent attacks, which seems to have been planned by people for personal reasons," bin Laden's statement said.

"I have been living in the Islamic emirate of Afghanistan and following its leaders' rules. The current leader does not allow me to exercise such operations," bin Laden said.

Asked Sunday if he believed bin Laden's denial, President Bush said, "No question he is the prime suspect. No question about that."

Since Tuesday's terrorist attacks against the United States, Bush has repeatedly threatened to strike out against terrorism and any nation that supports or harbors its disciples.......

....... Bin Laden's campaign stems from the 1990 decision by Saudi Arabia to allow U.S. troops into the kingdom after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait -- a military presence that has become permanent.

In a 1997 CNN interview, bin Laden called the U.S. military presence an "occupation of the land of the holy places."

Immediately after the attacks that demolished the World Trade Center's landmark twin towers and seriously damaged the Pentagon, officials of Afghanistan's ruling Taliban said they doubted bin Laden could have been involved in carrying out the actions.

The Taliban -- the fundamentalist Islamic militia that seized power in Afghanistan in 1996 -- denied his ties to terrorism and said they have taken away all his means of communication with the outside world.

The repressive Taliban regime has received almost universal condemnation, particularly for their harsh treatment of women. Only three countries, including Pakistan, recognize them as the country's rightful government.

A high-level Pakistani delegation was set to travel to Afghanistan on Monday to urge Taliban supreme leader Mullah Mohammed Omar to hand over bin Laden, CNN learned Sunday.

The Taliban, which controls more than 90 percent of the country, has threatened any neighboring country that allows its soil to be used to help the United States stage an attack on Afghanistan.

This is a far cry from the proud Osama we hear on audio tapes praising the attacks and all that garbage.

Here's a few questions:

Why are there only audio tapes released, and never video footage of Osama anymore?

Is he dead?

Does he not approve of showing his face as he speaks these words we hear now a days?

Why did the US at the start get these messages sent to them directly, then released to us cut up and limited in what was said? I heard due to National Security BS, but I hardly doubt that crap.

And the biggest of all questions:

Asked Sunday if he believed bin Laden's denial, President Bush said, "No question he is the prime suspect. No question about that."

^ Why? What was Bush's reasoning at that time that it was him? Sure we have all this muddled crap telling us it was him now.... but at that very moment in time.... 6 days after the attacks..... what was his reasoning for thinking without question that it was him?

These are questions I have never gotten an answer from since this whole thing occured...... and it's the lack of ligit answers for these questions that has created the second guessings and "Conspiracy Theories" that are all over the world today........ due to a government and a president that wasn't straight forward and honest about the details from day one.

Thousands died and everybody wanted blood, so the simplest answers were all that was needed..... point your finger at who you think did it, and you can get the everybody behind you to go blow stuff up.

All the documents and video footage, the over-dubbed Osama videos, cut up videos of Osama that do not give us the full story..... it's all questionable to me.

And I never bought the excuse by the Bush Administration that they cut parts of the video out of public viewing because "He may have secret hidden messages in them that would trigger more attacks" ~ That's flat out bullsh*t if you ask me.

Why would Osama plan for so long on how to attack the WTC buildings, then when it occured, suddenly deny his involvement, only to go back on this and start boasting about it on audio tapes that can not be confirmed by anyone if it is actually him saying these words?

I'm not about to start throwing out blame or my own views on who I think is responsible at this time..... I am just simply asking questions and seeking logical answers to them. Afterwards, I might voice who is involved and what I think.

But come on guys, you have to admit, it's not as simple as most would think. Sure Osama could be lying in the above report I just quoted..... but just as he is as much human as you and I, and Bush.... Bush could be lying as equally. Don't forget that sometimes enemies could tell the truth and allies can lie from time to time.

Keep your enemies close and your friends closer as they say.

I'm just one of those people who doesn't like jumping into something without thinking about it first and getting all the information available to make a sound decision. Canada didn't have all the information that we needed to make a sound decision, and this is why we are in the situation we are currently in.

Not because a few Canadians died during 9/11. That would have been the trigger, but were we aiming in the right direction?