Tories will cut excise tax on diesel fuel in half: Harper

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Conservative Party Leader Stephen Harper answers questions at a news conference during a campaign stop at a vegetable processing plant in Winnipeg on Tuesday.

Move aimed at truckers, manufacturers struggling with high fuel costs
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008/09/09/elxn-fuel-tax.html

A newly elected Tory government would cut in half the excise tax on diesel fuel, a move that would "benefit consumers who buy virtually anything that moves by truck, train, ship or plane," Conservative Leader Stephen Harper said on Tuesday.

The reduction to two cents a litre from four cents is "modest, affordable and responds to real needs," Harper said during an appearance at a Winnipeg produce-shipping terminal in his first major funding announcement of the federal election campaign.

"At a time when Canadians are concerned about affordability, and energy prices are rising, we should do what we can to lower prices," Harper said. "This has to be done."

NDP Leader Jack Layton, campaigning Tuesday in Saskatchewan, said he wants to see the excise tax spent instead on infrastructure and new energy technologies, with one full cent of the tax given to municipalities.

Harper's proposed cut is also aimed at truckers, fishermen and the manufacturers who have expressed concern that Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion's Green Shift carbon tax plan would lead to an increase in the already high cost of diesel.

Last week, Dion announced new proposed measures, worth a total of $900 million, aimed at helping farmers, fishermen and truckers adapt to his party's carbon plan.

The Tories have lambasted Dion's proposal, saying a carbon tax would be devastating for the country's weakened economy, would kill jobs and would drive up the cost of living.

Harper himself said Tuesday the diesel-tax cut highlights the choice between the parties' two different plans in the face of uncertain economic times.

"Our plan is practical, theirs is based on theory," he said. "That's what the election is all about."

Dion has said the environmental plan, which would balance a carbon tax with income-tax cuts, already includes a rural tax credit and incentives for businesses to upgrade to greener equipment.

Here's a silly question.... why didn't Harper cut the tax in half a long time ago?

One thing that bugs the crap out of me, is when politicians know there is a problem, they have a solution, but decide to play political games by holding off on these plans until an election.... AKA: Whoever can cut us the better deal.

I would have thought about voting him back in if he took this approach when everybody started suffering from the high costs well over a year ago, when everybody was telling the government to drop the taxes to balance out the costs on the public.

But now he's whipping this little gem out saying he'll do this if elected again.... the tool should have done it regardless when he had the chance, not wave it around like bait on a friggin hook.

By his own words: "This has to be done."

^ Then WTF didn't you do it?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Conservative Party Leader Stephen Harper answers questions at a news conference during a campaign stop at a vegetable processing plant in Winnipeg on Tuesday.

Move aimed at truckers, manufacturers struggling with high fuel costs
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008/09/09/elxn-fuel-tax.html

Here's a silly question.... why didn't Harper cut the tax in half a long time ago?

One thing that bugs the crap out of me, is when politicians know there is a problem, they have a solution, but decide to play political games by holding off on these plans until an election.... AKA: Whoever can cut us the better deal.

I would have thought about voting him back in if he took this approach when everybody started suffering from the high costs well over a year ago, when everybody was telling the government to drop the taxes to balance out the costs on the public.

But now he's whipping this little gem out saying he'll do this if elected again.... the tool should have done it regardless when he had the chance, not wave it around like bait on a friggin hook.

By his own words: "This has to be done."

^ Then WTF didn't you do it?

He can take the whole excise tax on diesel fuel.........out and he still will comes up as a stupid idiot.............................

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Now soc, you are sounding like the idiot here: even reducing taxes isn't good for you?? You have a problem, man...

Risus good day, ye I have a problem with Harper, he is so freaking phoney man I want to vomit in front of that Idiot.
The bird sh!ting on Dion pisses me completely offfffff.
The photo up on the Hung residence in Richmond it has a bad sh!t smell of stupid baby optics,
The diesel fuel tax is nothing but a small time carrot on the stick,
he had 2 ½ years to cut the tax, but to little to late for the companies who had to shut down as a result of the Conservative inability to help people from losing their livelihood as a result of the Conservative self manipulated cash grab. Al that and more, Risus I am not an idiot, I see the clear path the Conservatives are on and it make s me want to vomit………