'I will not let you down,' McCain says in convention speech

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Republican presidential candidate John McCain waves as he takes the stage to make his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn., Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/09/04/mccain-speech.html

Republican presidential nominee John McCain accepted his party's nomination Thursday night with a speech that portrayed the Vietnam veteran as a bipartisan reformer bent on changing the status quo of Washington.

"In my life, no success has come without a good fight. And this nomination wasn't any different," he told the Republican National Convention.

Reaching out to undecided voters, McCain asked "for the opportunity to earn your trust. I intend to earn it. I will not let you down."

The Arizona senator, 72, who has been criticized by some for his speech-making abilities, had the speaking podium remade into the shape of a "T" to allow him to get closer to delegates.

His speech was interrupted early on by demonstrators, who McCain described as "ground noise" and "static." Flashing the 'V' peace sign with their fingers, the protesters were quickly removed by security guards from the floor of the Xcel Energy Centre in St. Paul, Minn.

McCain carried on with a brief introduction of his running mate, Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin, whose speech on Wednesday night was hailed by many as a rousing success.

Together, he said, the two were ready to shake up the scene in Washington.

"She stands up for what's right and she doesn't let anyone tell her to sit down," McCain said of the Alaska governor.

"And let me offer an advance warning to the old, big-spending, do-nothing, me-first, country-second Washington crowd: Change is coming."

McCain made only passing reference to current U.S. President George W. Bush, and not even by name. Bush, who has spent two terms as leader of the U.S., has hardly been mentioned during the four-day convention and delivered only a brief speech to delegates Tuesday via satellite.

The presidential hopeful also took the opportunity to criticize his fellow Republicans, particularly those who ran Congress for a dozen years before they were voted out of office in 2006.

"We were elected to change Washington, and we let Washington change us," McCain said.

Prior speeches at the convention about McCain have focused on his reputation of being a "maverick" politician and his years of experience in Washington. But despite his tenure as a four-term senator, McCain has positioned himself as the agent for change.

"I've been called a maverick," he said. "Sometimes it's meant as a compliment and sometimes it's not. What it really means is I understand who I work for."

"I don't work for a party. I don't work for a special interest. I don't work for myself. I work for you."
Co-operative approach

McCain told delegates that he, unlike the Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, has a history of working with other party members to get things done.

"Again and again, I've worked with members of both parties to fix problems that need to be fixed. That's how I will govern as president," McCain said.

He promised to "reach out my hand to anyone to help me get this country moving again."

"I have that record and the scars to prove it," McCain said. "[Illinois] Senator Obama does not."

McCain also described how his policies sharply contrast those of his Democratic rival, saying he would keep taxes low and cut them where possible. He also pledged to cut government spending and free the U.S. from its dependence on foreign oil.

He made a lengthy vow to make schools accountable to parents and students rather than "unions and entrenched bureaucrats."

On the issue of the Iraq war, McCain reiterated the oft-repeated line that he was a staunch supporter of the troop surge — to the extent that "I'd rather lose an election than see my country lose a war."
Patriotism shaped in captivity

Much media focus has been on the five years McCain spent in a North Vietnamese prison. Extolling the virtue of his age and the experience that comes with it, McCain himself touched on the issue during his 40-minute speech, describing how it shaped his patriotism.

"I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's," he said. "I was never the same again. I wasn't my own man anymore. I was my country's."

The comments drew a standing ovation from the crowd.

"Fight with me. Fight with me. Fight with me. Fight for what's right for our country," he said at the climax of his speech.

It's unknown whether McCain's address will be able to match the television viewership numbers of Obama, who spoke last week to an estimated 84,000 people in an outdoor football stadium in Denver.

Obama had 38.4 million viewers on the commercial networks, topping 40 million with PBS and C-SPAN added in. But McCain was competing Thursday night with the National Football League's season-opening game.
Millions saw Palin's speech

Palin's speech Wednesday night also generated 40 million viewers. Nielsen Media Research estimated 37.2 million people watched Palin on either ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox News Channel or MSNBC. PBS estimated it had four million viewers for the speech.

Palin, who was a surprise pick as McCain's running mate and not widely known to the general public, has been at the centre of intense media scrutiny — largely thanks to the recent announcement that her unmarried daughter, 17, is pregnant.

Taking centre stage of the Republican convention, Palin delivered several hard swings at Obama, as well as members of the media who have questioned her political and personal background.

"Victory in Iraq is finally in sight; he wants to forfeit," she said of the Democratic presidential nominee.

"Al-Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America; he's worried that someone won't read them their rights."

Palin's address followed a fiery speech by former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, who also slammed Obama for his lack of experience.

Yeah, I wasn't all that impressed by his speech last night. Timed smiles, the same promises everybody's heard for the last 8+ years, no actual detailed layouts of how he plans to solve the problems, except perhaps him bashing Obama's plans. Talking about how he will put money into solar and wind energy, when he opposed those plans in the past.....

Oh, and the whole thing to me sounded like one be war rally, attempting to recruit more people to be sent off to die. Besides all that, to me it just seemed like a hollywood movie about a big great hero.

And everybody considders him a hero because he refused to leave the POW camp early. It's not like he really had a choice in the matter. As he said in his own words, they were ordered to follow the "First in, First out" procedure..... not only that, but I imagine the other POW's would have crippled/killed his ass if he jumped ahead of them.... plus he would have probably been given sh*t by his daddy in the military.

I've heard of greater heros if you ask me.

And none of it makes a difference on if he can run as a good president. It all seemed for show to me.

Granted, Obama's speech was also for show, but at least he did a better job.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
"I will not let you down", "The check is in the mail",......... Fits right in there with a lot of great truths we hear from time to time.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The part of the speech that was that i noticed most was that dealing with America's collapsing economy.. promising to bring in 'jobs of the 21st' century' instead of the those of the 1950s. Well thanks John, that means we're replacing highly payed jobs in skilled industrial trades, in high technology manufacturing.. with minimum wage jobs flipping burgers. Those same promises have been made since the onset of Free Trade mania, and they have produced nothing but decline and desperation since.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
With any luck, you guys will.... so long as it's not decided for you like in 2000.

And in 1980, 1984, 2004. If the GOP wins it is already established that the election will be stolen by them. That is the way it always is.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
The part of the speech that was that i noticed most was that dealing with America's collapsing economy.. promising to bring in 'jobs of the 21st' century' instead of the those of the 1950s. Well thanks John, that means we're replacing highly payed jobs in skilled industrial trades, in high technology manufacturing.. with minimum wage jobs flipping burgers. Those same promises have been made since the onset of Free Trade mania, and they have produced nothing but decline and desperation since.

Don't forget the part where he's get those who lost their jobs retrained for the new technology and put back into the work force for the new industries.

Newsflash... most of those who lost their jobs are older workers ready to retire, or already beyond their 20's... do any of you seriously think these people are going to want, let alone able to be re-educated and start from scratch to be trained on computers and work for minimum wage at an IT or Call Centre?

It ain't gonna happen... certainly not at a magical level McCain seems to think it will, with all the promises he seems to think everybody will suck up.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Naw ... the faulty chits and the Jeb Bush counting party were straight upfront and honest

Along with missing ballot boxes, faulty voting machines.... machines which have been proven to have very little, if any, security that would prevent tampering. Hell, I've seen the reports on those things.... from US media if that will satisfy some, showing how easy they were to hack.

When it comes to electing the leader of a country, don't you think some kind of security would be intergrated into them? I figured some down there would have common sense to know they'd need some sort of security features to protect the information from tampering. Now either someone was really stupid when designing, approving and distributing these things for mass use...... or someone did it on purpose.

There's only two options.... and to think computer techs these days wouldn't know or think about putting security features into these machines, is pretty silly, so that kind of leaves you with only one option.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Naw ... the faulty chits and the Jeb Bush counting party were straight upfront and honest

And the "November Surprise" in 1980, and how Bush stole the last election. Same ol', same ol'.

The idea of a the Dems/liberals accepting another GOP Presidential win as fair is totally out of the question. The GOP WILL, mark my words, WILL be accused of ANOTHER fraudulent and stolen election. It has become their MO.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Along with missing ballot boxes, faulty voting machines.... machines which have been proven to have very little, if any, security that would prevent tampering. Hell, I've seen the reports on those things.... from US media if that will satisfy some, showing how easy they were to hack.

When it comes to electing the leader of a country, don't you think some kind of security would be intergrated into them? I figured some down there would have common sense to know they'd need some sort of security features to protect the information from tampering. Now either someone was really stupid when designing, approving and distributing these things for mass use...... or someone did it on purpose.

There's only two options.... and to think computer techs these days wouldn't know or think about putting security features into these machines, is pretty silly, so that kind of leaves you with only one option.

Everything seemed to work when the Democrats swept both houses of Congress awhile back now didn't it? Yup... all on the level. Funny how these things pop up ONLY when a Republican wins.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
And the "November Surprise" in 1980, and how Bush stole the last election. Same ol', same ol'.

The idea of a the Dems/liberals accepting another GOP Presidential win as fair is totally out of the question. The GOP WILL, mark my words, WILL be accused of ANOTHER fraudulent and stolen election. It has become their MO.

It didn't matter then. In 1980, the USA wasn't the monster it is today. Amazing how the down-home dopey face hid the hand up its ass....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It didn't matter then. In 1980, the USA wasn't the monster it is today. Amazing how the down-home dopey face hid the hand up its ass....

Well it has always been the contention that Reagan conspired with Iran to have them hold the hostages long enough for the elections and to release them after Reagan was sworn in.

But even the Iranians have said that they did that to embarrass Carter.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well it has always been the contention that Reagan conspired with Iran to have them hold the hostages long enough for the elections and to release them after Reagan was sworn in.

;-) He only PLAYED second banana to the monkey....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Well if you can safely predict that they're going to win before anybody actually votes, what does that tell us?

Mark your words.... they Will be accused of another fraudulent and stolen election you say..... you say that as though they already won.

Or do you mean IF they win.... well it'll probably be the only way they will win.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Everything seemed to work when the Democrats swept both houses of Congress awhile back now didn't it? Yup... all on the level. Funny how these things pop up ONLY when a Republican wins.

That's because there's no voting machines screwing up or a large amount of ballot boxes mysteriously missing in those situations.

Questions are only raised when questionable things occur.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Actually that reminds me of what Putin said a few days ago in regards to intelligence he collected in Georgia that US operatives were working in there to start this conflict to suit one of the candidates' political advances, whom he didn't name......

..... and yet, McCain when on a war path banter about evil Russia, the Cold War and yack yack yack. Obama, mentioned a small bit about it, but certainly not on the level McCain did..... sounded like McCain was trying to instill that fear into Americans to vote for him again, due to some unfounded and unjust scare tactics. McCain seems pretty pleased about both Vietnam and Iraq, both farce wars started on lies..... sounds like he's still stuck in that old mentality.

Then again, scaring the crap out of Americans worked in '04

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Actually that reminds me of what Putin said a few days ago in regards to intelligence he collected in Georgia that US operatives were working in there to start this conflict to suit one of the candidates' political advances, whom he didn't name......

..... and yet, McCain when on a war path banter about evil Russia, the Cold War and yack yack yack. Obama, mentioned a small bit about it, but certainly not on the level McCain did..... sounded like McCain was trying to instill that fear into Americans to vote for him again, due to some unfounded and unjust scare tactics.

Worked in '04

Well if Putin says it, it must be true. I mean he says he collected evidence and that is all we need right? Sounds good enough to me. Did they catch any of these operatives? Ack...no bother, it doesn't matter...his word is good enough.

McCaine isn't scaring anyone, nor is Obama. I would agree that Reagan was trying to use our fear of the Soviets in his elections because Carter was so inept at dealing with them.