Canada - China relations

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Ties with China stronger, Emerson says.

Repairing Canada's relationship with Communist country 'a top priority' for Foreign Minister; critics call for more effort from Harper.

Emerson says our relationship with China is improving, the Harper government is making efforts to change its policy toward the country, especially since Harper met with President Hu at the G8 in Japan.

Emerson is headed to Beijing as leader of Canada's delegation at the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games.
"I think that the relationship with China is one that we've been cultivating and improving for some time now and my appointment certainly does not get in the way of that, but I don't think it's a signal of any profound change in foreign policy," he said.
Mr. Jiang from Alberta's China Institute says Emerson's statements show a positive trend and are a "good signal". However...
"You need to have the Prime Minister's direct engagement. That is where the key problem is," he said. "Harper is not committing to visiting China any time soon."
Harper hasn't visited China as PM of Canada, Jiang complains...
"Why everybody else? Other heads of state of G8 ... are visiting China, are engaging China for improving China's human rights, for improving economic relations to promote jobs and investments and our Prime Minister is not doing so."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home
------------------------------------------------
A reader's comment:
Sylvia Wilson, Canada writes: I'm not surprised that PM Harper doesn't wish to visit China. He's had Childhood Asthma and with the smog and pollution in that country what person that suffers from that disease would want to go to a country where it's exacerbated. Hopefully, Emerson doesn't have that disease and simply tells Chinese leaders that for health reasons Harper decided wisely not to attend.
I didn't know that. Now I'll forgive him for slacking off!;-)
Nice to hear we've got an understanding and ambitious new Foreign Minister. Let's give him and Harper a chance.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Ties with China stronger, Emerson says.

Repairing Canada's relationship with Communist country 'a top priority' for Foreign Minister; critics call for more effort from Harper.

Emerson says our relationship with China is improving, the Harper government is making efforts to change its policy toward the country, especially since Harper met with President Hu at the G8 in Japan.

Emerson is headed to Beijing as leader of Canada's delegation at the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games.Mr. Jiang from Alberta's China Institute says Emerson's statements show a positive trend and are a "good signal". However...Harper hasn't visited China as PM of Canada, Jiang complains...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home
------------------------------------------------
A reader's comment:I didn't know that. Now I'll forgive him for slacking off!;-)
Nice to hear we've got an understanding and ambitious new Foreign Minister. Let's give him and Harper a chance.

This crap drives me nuts.

Every time I think I'll dump the Conservatives, because DAMN IT, I didn't vote for a bloody Liberal party, I look at what the Liberals and NDP have become....

OMG.

Still gotta vote CPC.

But now I gotta hold my nose and vote CPC.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Not me; I heard EAnassir's Martians are going to invade China during the games, make everyone eat tapioca, and convert all the members of extremist Muslim groups, and extreme capitalists to Taoism. I think it's going to squelch the big showdown.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Not me; I heard EAnassir's Martians are going to invade China during the games, make everyone eat tapioca, and convert all the members of extremist Muslim groups, and extreme capitalists to Taoism. I think it's going to squelch the big showdown.

One can only hope.....:)