How much money does one need?


Nuggler
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
Started a separate thread as I didn't want to take JIMMOYER'S off the rails, but found the various studies on income stratification very interesting. And; it led my wandering brain cells to a "story", from which I based a lot of what I did with my life. True story involving people, long since dead, and whom I loved and respected very much.

Maybe some others would like to kick in and relate is some way, how someone or something steered their journey at various Y's in the road:

Will try not to be too long and boring:

These folks were Americans who owned a cottage (they called it a "camp") on a local lake, and they would come up for a month each summer. Then, once the big holiday was over, as often as they could.

He was what would now be called upper middle management, and made way above the median income at the time. She was a "homemaker".....that PC enough?

He was a "tough as nails", "hard headed" businessman, who had started as a stock boy and worked his way up through a national corporation to a position of importance, big money, and authority. He was a two fisted drinker, chain smoked Camel plains, and hated FDR. Thought that the US should have stayed the hell out of WW2, that social security was basically a wrong headed scheme, people should save for retirement, and company pensions were ok as long as you worked like hell to EARN one.

He taught me how to fish, how to cast, how to set a hook, how to have patience. He had none in ordinary life, but would fish a set of lily pads for an hour if he believed a bass was lurking under it. Most times he was right. It was the GAME, you see. He wanted to WIN, even if was only against a bass. Took me a few years to figure this out.

He would sit on the dock, chain smoke Camels, drink Wild Turkey, neat, and we would throw a 6" minnow 5 ft. under a big float, out in the current during a west wind, and catch huge pike. All this time I was being educated in the American way of doing things, the pursuit of freedom and happiness, and I don't mind saying: he was my goddam hero.

He lived for his job, never took too many days off, worked his *** of at the "camp", and I used to wonder - when the hell do you actually relax. He never did, you see. It was the GAME that counted.

But, get this: When my dad died, he and his wife drove up from Ohio, went to the funeral, (he cried like a baby), and later, packed me in his car (HUGE Merc), and off we went to Ohio.
Several time, en route, he pulled the car over and went for a walk - way behind us. When he came back, his eyes were red, and he had a lump in his throat. Yepper, that was the man of steel. He only became more of a hero in my eyes. He took two weeks off work to look after me which screwed his vacation later that year. Man of steel.

Back about then the song "Davy Crockett" was a big hit, and he bought the record, and when we got to his place, he played it "ALL THE TIME" And I mean....."ALL THE TIME" . His house had a big American flag flying outside, and a bunch of them on the walls throughout. Freakin John Wayne or what!!! Hero factor went way up.

Man of steel. Heart of gold.


Scroll ahead several years.:
When he was 65, he retired. One year later, almost to the day, the Camels and the Wild Turkey came calling and he died. Cancer.

I was older then, had my own job, was thinking of a family, belonged to a union, and the conservative values I had believed in for many years were starting to crumble.

His house............was a house in the burbs, ticky tacky, like every other house within a mile.
His lawn ..........the same
His car...............wasn't near paid for
same with his house.
Same with "the camp"
His wife told me several years after his death; it was an act. He was frightened all the time. Scared of someone coming up from below. Scared of what the someones up above would do. Scared of retirement. Scared of lack of money and prestige. Scared of the knife in the back. Running just to stand still. Swimming just to tread water.
Now, WTF was that all about.
He left her not well off, but ok, so she didn't have to work, and insurance paid off a bunch of stuff.
But, Jesus, work like a nailer, and dead at 66, just when you could go to "the camp" and stay there the whole goddam year if you wanted, fish bass, and etc.

That's when I "bought out" of the corporate plan. I was going to find a SECURE job with a pension and a union and health benefits, and HANG IN. And, that's what happened.

Oh ya, money....................All you need is enough to live on..........But you need that.........and the "corporate plan" is taking it away, farming it out, offshoring it, no full time, no pensions, no health benefits..................on and on.

Personally I think FDR was a great man.

But I still think the man of steel was a goddam hero.

All you need is enough.
 
quandary121
Green
#2
none money aint worth the paper its printed on, i would rather have a lot of friends,then alot of money.!!!!!
alot of rich friends.lol
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#3
Great bit of history Nuggler. I read somewhere that the more money you have the more time it demands. You won't catch me in my vault counting silver pieces while there's camping and fishing to do. I need enough but no more and that is relatively little. I'v never chased the dollar very far.
 
scratch
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Great bit of history Nuggler. I read somewhere that the more money you have the more time it demands. You won't catch me in my vault counting silver pieces while there's camping and fishing to do. I need enough but no more and that is relatively little. I'v never chased the dollar very far.

Neither have I. All I need is to ensure that rent, and utilities are paid (need somewhere to live). That there is money for food and a little to put aside for emergencies.
 
Ariadne
#5
I would tend to agree that quality of life is more important than a career with all the trimmings, as that sometimes resembles being stuck in a hamster ball.. Money does make life a little easier though.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#6
I've had the money, the house, the business, lived the sweat to build it and the angst with the swiftness someone (or in this case, Free Trade and GST) can take it all away. I was a workaholic who paid the price many times over. Hell, I'm too old, not in good enough health and frankly, not interested in doing it all again. How much do I need? As long as the bills are paid and the groceries last the month, cool.
Last edited by lone wolf; Jul 13th, 2008 at 08:51 PM..
 
tracy
#7
For many people, working a lot is required just to meet the basic bills. I'm lucky I work a job with 12 hour shifts so I can do 48 or even 60 hours a week and still have two or three days off, but even that doesn't make me rich with the cost of living what it is.
 
iARTthere4iam
#8
You don't NEED a million or a billion dollars. You don't need a doctorate or a Victoria Cross or a SuperBowl ring. You don't need a "57 Chevy or a swimming pool. You don't need to learn to fly or sail around the world.

There are alot of things in this world that you don't NEED. Are we to simply meet our basic needs and then stop there?

Is it so hard to understand that different people have different desires and goals? What makes you happy, what gets you out of bed in the morning? What gives you a reason to live?
 
Nuggler
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by iARTthere4iamView Post

You don't NEED a million or a billion dollars. You don't need a doctorate or a Victoria Cross or a SuperBowl ring. You don't need a "57 Chevy or a swimming pool. You don't need to learn to fly or sail around the world.

There are alot of things in this world that you don't NEED. Are we to simply meet our basic needs and then stop there?

Is it so hard to understand that different people have different desires and goals? What makes you happy, what gets you out of bed in the morning? What gives you a reason to live?

Your questions are rhetorical,........?
 
iARTthere4iam
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Your questions are rhetorical,........?

Yes, they are. You need not answer them, I only ask them to make you think. My point being that different people find happiness in different ways. And also that each person must decide what they find important. Olympic athletes push themselves to the point of ruining their bodies (and often beyond) for the chance to compete at the highest level. They are not doing it because they have to but because they just want to. Same can be said of business people or artists or collectors or astronauts or.....
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
#11
How much money does one need?

One needs a comfortable living whether it is attained by savings or pensions or whatever.
 
Lester
No Party Affiliation
#12
what juan said
 
Nuggler
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by iARTthere4iamView Post

Yes, they are. You need not answer them, I only ask them to make you think. My point being that different people find happiness in different ways. And also that each person must decide what they find important. Olympic athletes push themselves to the point of ruining their bodies (and often beyond) for the chance to compete at the highest level. They are not doing it because they have to but because they just want to. Same can be said of business people or artists or collectors or astronauts or.....

Thanks, I Art: The fact that people find happiness in different ways, and go their own paths, was exactly my point. Sorry you missed it.

As for thinking, I can do that just fine without any help from you, thanks just the same. Bit trollish of you, don't you think?

Further, if you were asking the questions, "to make you think", then they were not rhetorical, but rather, aimed at me..........n'est pas?

Good talking to you, regardless.

Next time I need help thinking, I'll look you up.

Regards,

Nugg.
 
Lineman
#14
My "comfortable" was always the thought of retiring to a small house by a lake, similar to Nuggler's story, but with the way real estate is rising in the cottage areas around here it's getting to be more of a dream than a plan. As with a lot of people these days I guess I'll have to redefine what a "comfortable" living and retirement will be. It's still 8 years away and I've got one kid to put through college or university soon and another a few years after that so "comfortable" will have to wait.
Deep breath, smile, move on.
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
#15
My wife and I retired about ten years ago. We are comfortable now, but it bothers me a little that no mater what happens, my liquid pensions are not going to get any bigger, but what the hell, why worry about something we have no control over.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I've had the money, the house, the business, lived the sweat to build it and the angst with the swiftness someone (or in this case, Free Trade and GST) can take it all away. I was a workaholic who paid the price many times over. Hell, I'm too old, not in good enough health and frankly, not interested in doing it all again. How much do I need? As long as the bills are paid and the groceries last the month, cool.

Bills paid! Groceries for a month! You obulent filthy rich bastard you!
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Thanks, I Art: The fact that people find happiness in different ways, and go their own paths, was exactly my point. Sorry you missed it.

As for thinking, I can do that just fine without any help from you, thanks just the same. Bit trollish of you, don't you think?

Further, if you were asking the questions, "to make you think", then they were not rhetorical, but rather, aimed at me..........n'est pas?

Good talking to you, regardless.

Next time I need help thinking, I'll look you up.

Regards,

Nugg.

If you need help thinking (if) why not choose from one of our other councellors/associates?
 
iARTthere4iam
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

How much money does one need?

One needs a comfortable living whether it is attained by savings or pensions or whatever.

Or by work?
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Bills paid! Groceries for a month! You obulent filthy rich bastard you!

Yeah, eh.... Gracious living.

Trailer for sale or rent....

Woof!
 
Lineman
#20
Trailer for sale or rent
Rooms to let...fifty cents.
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
Ah, but..two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

Third boxcar, midnight train
Destination...Bangor, Maine.
Old worn out clothes and shoes,
I don't pay no union dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not too big around
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

I know every engineer on every train
All of their children, and all of their names
And every handout in every town
And every lock that ain't locked
When no one's around.

I sing,
Trailers for sale or rent
Rooms to let, fifty cents
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
Ah, but, two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

From one of the great ones
Roger Miller
 
scratch
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by LinemanView Post

Trailer for sale or rent
Rooms to let...fifty cents.
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
Ah, but..two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

Third boxcar, midnight train
Destination...Bangor, Maine.
Old worn out clothes and shoes,
I don't pay no union dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not too big around
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

I know every engineer on every train
All of their children, and all of their names
And every handout in every town
And every lock that ain't locked
When no one's around.

I sing,
Trailers for sale or rent
Rooms to let, fifty cents
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
Ah, but, two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

From one of the great ones
Roger Miller

Always liked his ballads.
 
Zan
Green
#22
That song brings back a ton of childhood memories - made me want to hear it - if you'd like to hear King of the Road while you read the lyrics, click the pic.

 
scratch
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

That song brings back a ton of childhood memories - made me want to hear it - if you'd like to hear King of the Road while you read the lyrics, click the pic.

Why are you in a hand basket?
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#24
Dang me.... Sorry Nugg but they gonna take a rope and hang me high from the highest tree....

Guess all ya needs is enough to hear Roger Miller again....
Last edited by lone wolf; Jul 13th, 2008 at 11:23 PM..
 
Zan
Green
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by scratchView Post

Why are you in a hand basket?

well as my sig implies, that's what I'd like to know!
 
scratch
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

well as my sig implies, that's what I'd like to know!

Perhaps because the world is already there before you thought it would happen.
 
missile
Conservative
#27
I believe most people have enough money to live on, but refuse to believe it. Getting caught up in the false promises of the ad world has made paupers of so many.
 
jimmoyer
#28
A national conversation.

About caring for others.

We're too busy lately.
 
jellyfarm
#29
Loved your story Nuggler and I begin to wonder at ariadne's response to quality of life...

What's quality of life to you today?

back in the day when you steel heroes were running scared all the time, quality of life probably meant a good house, good bed to sleep in, a car, clothes, nutrition...that's it!

But look at us today. Quality of life = mobile phones, PCs, plasma TVs, satellite dishes, cars (not 1 but 2), a boat, a camper van (if you really want quality), Internet Service on top of all the basics people used to need.

Given the choice, I really wanna give up these extras....maybe the TV and cable should go first...then my mobile because I find phones and e-mails a nuisance now.

But really, I'm trying to live in an age where I know what I make at work is enough for the basics and a nice vacation overseas every year. Why do I want more?
 

Similar Threads

27
tis all about money....
by Stretch | Mar 9th, 2007
2
$Money$ Be Gone!
by Nightmare | Feb 5th, 2007
0
Tax payers money "is" the Liberals money.
by Breakthrough2006 | Dec 21st, 2005
1
Ever Wonder Where You Money Goes?
by researchok | Jul 11th, 2004
no new posts