Canada bought Saddam's Uranium!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Canada gets Saddam's uranium

The last major remnant of Saddam Hussein's nuclear program — a huge stockpile of concentrated natural uranium — reached a Canadian port Saturday to complete a secret U.S. operation that included a two-week airlift from Baghdad and a ship voyage crossing two oceans.

The deal culminated more than a year of intense diplomatic and military initiatives — kept hushed in fear of ambushes or attacks once the convoys were under way: first carrying 3,500 barrels by road to Baghdad, then on 37 military flights to the Indian Ocean atoll of Diego Garcia and finally aboard a U.S.-flagged ship for a 13,500-kilometre trip to Montreal.

The Iraqi government sold the yellowcake to a Canadian uranium producer, Cameco Corp., in a transaction the official described as worth “tens of millions of dollars.” A Cameco spokesman, Lyle Krahn, declined to discuss the price, but said the yellowcake will be processed at facilities in Ontario for use in energy-producing reactors.
“We are pleased ... that we have taken (the yellowcake) from a volatile region into a stable area to produce clean electricity,” he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rnational/home
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, who would have thought!! If any of this is true, then I wonder why the US didn't just take the stuff? After all, they spent trillions on the war to keep America safe.... they are entitled to some reward.

Edit @ 8:52pm
The original article got re-written ... same link, though:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rnational/home

Canada is the new home to a massive stockpile of concentrated natural uranium from Iraq, the last major remnant of Saddam Hussein's nuclear program.
The 550 tonnes of “yellowcake,” the seed material for higher-grade nuclear enrichment, was sold to Canadian uranium producer Cameco Corp. in a transaction the official described as worth “tens of millions of dollars.”
A ship carrying the cargo arrived Saturday in Montreal and Cameco spokesman Lyle Krahn said the yellowcake will be processed at facilities in Ontario for use in energy-producing reactors.
“We are pleased ... that we have taken [the yellowcake] from a volatile region into a stable area to produce clean electricity,” he said.

However, there was no confirmation from the Port of Montreal.
Robert Desjardins, co-ordinator of the port, said “we don't have any information” on such a shipment arriving there.
He said no ships under American flags were listed as being in the port Saturday, or as being expected.
---
But it also raises serious security concerns, an environmental activist said Saturday.
“Cameco has made it clear that this uranium will simply be integrated into their commercial processing stream at its refinery in Port Hope and I assume that this uranium still needs to be shipped from Montreal to Port Hope – if it hasn't already been sent, not clear whether that's going by land or by sea, could be either, or by air,” said Dave Martin, the energy co-ordinator for Greenpeace Canada.
“I think Cameco and the Canadian government owe the Canadian public some disclosure on that front.”
etc.
--------------------------------------------------------
Confusing information. It arrived in Montreal today, but no, it didn't!

I agree with Greenpeace... some explaining is due!

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada gets Saddam's uranium

Strange...with the U.S. currently having 104 Nuclear Power Facilities of their own. Why would this Uranium be shipped in a very complicated way across the planet, when Cameco could have just
shipped the Uranium to Quebec from Saskatchewan. I don't doubt what you are saying, but I just find it strange.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
You have to give it to the media to screw it up for Canadians. W5 a CTV investigative news show not only told where it is coming in they went as far as to name the company that bought it and showed a nice aerial view of where it was stored.

According to the CIA and CSIS Canada is infested with terrorist sleeper cells.

Sometimes I wonder if the terrorists are using the Canadian media to pass their messages of terrorist activities to the other cells.

CTV should have known better and they should be reprimanded.

CSIS should have stopped this story from getting out.

The Conservative government is responsible for not enforcing National Security and the blood will be on their hands.

The Canadian people deserve more than this.