Dealing with China

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Dealing with China
China's catastrophic earthquake last week in Sichuan province has prompted words of condolence from Canada's government, in a written press release. But there is no sign of any personal exchange with the senior leadership in Beijing. Nor has Ottawa sought to mobilize support through the Chinese-Canadian community — in contrast to our active responses to the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

This is a striking symptom of something missing in the Harper government's policy toward China on other fronts, too. In our business relationship with China, public policy matters.

Read the whole article here... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...alComment/home
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, what is wrong with the Harper gang? Still harping the human rights issues? Tibet? Or what?

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
"We are greatly saddened by the news that thousands lost their lives and that hundreds of children who were at school at the time are trapped in the debris," said a joint statement issued by Canadian Foreign Minister Maxime Bernier and Beverley Oda, Minister of International Cooperation. "Our thoughts are with the victims of this terrible tragedy and their families," said the statement. "Canada stands ready to help should China request any assistance in its humanitarian relief efforts."

Link

This sounds like an appropriate response to me.

Our relationship with China is very good right now. So good that they went overboard on welcoming one of our frigates to Hong Kong and then cleared it to pass through the Taiwan Straits because of a storm.

Link

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Link

This sounds like an appropriate response to me.

Our relationship with China is very good right now. So good that they went overboard on welcoming one of our frigates to Hong Kong and then cleared it to pass through the Taiwan Straits because of a storm.

Link

Unlike the idiots in Burma, China has done a bang-up job in stricken areas.....or at least that is how it appears.....they have certainly been willing to accept help from where ever it is offered.....as they should.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Dealing with China
China's catastrophic earthquake last week in Sichuan province has prompted words of condolence from Canada's government, in a written press release. But there is no sign of any personal exchange with the senior leadership in Beijing. Nor has Ottawa sought to mobilize support through the Chinese-Canadian community — in contrast to our active responses to the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

This is a striking symptom of something missing in the Harper government's policy toward China on other fronts, too. In our business relationship with China, public policy matters.

Read the whole article here... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...alComment/home
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, what is wrong with the Harper gang? Still harping the human rights issues? Tibet? Or what?

One of the reasons I like the Harper gov't......they don't like the Chinese.

They do like the Israelis.

They do like the USA.

I'm a happy boy when it comes to Canada's foreign policy.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colpy

No doubt you celebrate every time you gas up that NAFTA keeps the price of Canadian gasoline on par with international prices..... While Canadians have no need to placate America you're happy to watch the American petroleum cartels suck everyone dry....

Sharp perspective!

Reactions: dancing-loon

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007

They do like the USA.

You are a traitor, Colpy!!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You are a traitor, Colpy!!!

I'm a traitor?

How do you figure?

I support our traditional allies, those that share democratic values.........

I dislike the greatest mass murderers on earth.

I guess if that makes me a traitor....I am.

But I don't know how that could be so.....

Seems to me those that would ignore the alliances we entered into with our eyes wide open, I'd say THEY are the ones who are engaging in dubious acts.....

Please, I beg of you, explain the accusation.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't like to hear others saying they 'don't like anybody, thats what children do.

I like Obama's approach, he understands that other countries believe and do things
that we don't agree with, BUT he would never say 'I DON'T LIKE THEM', that sounds
silly. Disagree with others, don't agree with their policies, but keep dialogue open,
and talk and negotiate, while staying strong in your own beliefs, that is truly a position
of STRENGTH, not weakness.

What I disagree with the u.s., is that they take the position that, if others don't agree
with them, then they are wrong, 'not necessarily so'.

Being different in the world, 'than us', doesn't mean, 'you don't like them', b.c. is full of
chinese, they are a fine race of people, and I welcome them here. China, having more
than a billion people, certainly have to run their country differently than us.
It seems as the years go by, their government is becoming a little mor understandable,
than in older times, and it will take time for changes, but their own people will demand
change, and gradually it will happen.

Can you imagine Canada with a population of more than a billion, I hear lots of whining
from others about our government, and we only have a little over 30 million.
Pretty easy to live here, and the things that are whined about, are for the most part
trivial, and many 'just' like to whine, as they can't seem to find or enjoy, saying good
things.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't like to hear others saying they 'don't like anybody, thats what children do.

I like Obama's approach, he understands that other countries believe and do things
that we don't agree with, BUT he would never say 'I DON'T LIKE THEM', that sounds
silly. Disagree with others, don't agree with their policies, but keep dialogue open,
and talk and negotiate, while staying strong in your own beliefs, that is truly a position
of STRENGTH, not weakness.

What I disagree with the u.s., is that they take the position that, if others don't agree
with them, then they are wrong, 'not necessarily so'.

Being different in the world, 'than us', doesn't mean, 'you don't like them', b.c. is full of
chinese, they are a fine race of people, and I welcome them here. China, having more
than a billion people, certainly have to run their country differently than us.
It seems as the years go by, their government is becoming a little mor understandable,
than in older times, and it will take time for changes, but their own people will demand
change, and gradually it will happen.

Can you imagine Canada with a population of more than a billion, I hear lots of whining
from others about our government, and we only have a little over 30 million.
Pretty easy to live here, and the things that are whined about, are for the most part
trivial, and many 'just' like to whine, as they can't seem to find or enjoy, saying good
things.

The Chinese Communist Party has murdered 76,000,000 people, in less than 60 years.

I don't like them.

You can make whatever excuses you like for their murderous history, I don't like them, nor anyone that supports the Party.

Sorry, I sort of have a bias against mass murderers........

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Chinese Communist Party has murdered 76,000,000 people, in less than 60 years.

George Bush has murdured over 4000 american troops and hundreds of thousands of
iraqis in 6 years.

He is a person, along with his government to fear too.

Perhaps you should look up the word "murder" in the dictionary............as I said the Chinese REALLY murdered 76,000,000 of their own people WITHOUT a war.....

The Chinese murdered in an average MONTH about the same number as killed in Iraq in 5 years......WITHOUT (need I say it again?) a war.

The Iraqi people may, if the Americans actuaslly see it through, wind up much better off than they were under Saddam.......one can only hope.

Besides, in eight months Bush will be gone...........

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
When our softwood lumber industry was in trouble (it still is) a Liberal government entourage went to China promoting Canadian lumber along with improving China's contruction standards. Last I heard it went nowhere.

What's with this? Was it that this may have helped us too that caused them not to invest in the safety of their own people? Why is this always a one-way street? We give give give and never get anything in return (even when they are rolling in cash) and we're suppose to feel guilty because Harper didn't say something to appease the Globe and Mail?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Perhaps you should look up the word "murder" in the dictionary............as I said the Chinese REALLY murdered 76,000,000 of their own people WITHOUT a war.....

It is not a war, it was a trumped up affair, done for all the wrong reasons. War is,
when you attack because you have been invaded. No one invaded or even threatened
the u.s. from iraq. It was more like a criminal offence, done by a group of thugs, no
better than the mafia, or probably worse, as they have 'no' code of ethics at all.

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
Only a hinney would call Iraq a war--Iraq had no defence--could not protect itself. The war in Iraq as you call it was won how many years ago---so it is over. Killing .3 million, displacing 3.5 million, destroying -on a lie -- is good for the people-You consider that a sane post?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

I don't like them.

You can make whatever excuses you like for their murderous history, I don't like them, nor anyone that supports the Party.

Sorry, I sort of have a bias against mass murderers........

Do you now? But you just posted this:

They do like the USA.

How are you able to reconcile these opinions given the Iraq invasion/occupation justified by Iraq's non-existant WMDs and links to the events of 9/11?

Casualties of the US led Invasion of Iraq and Subsequent War

SurveyIraqi deathsMarch 2003 to...Iraqi Health Ministry survey151,000 violent deaths out of 400,000 excess deaths due to the war.June 2006Lancet survey601,027 violent deaths out of 654,965 excess deaths.June 2006Opinion Research Business survey1,033,000 violent deaths as a result of the conflict.August 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_conflict_in_Iraq_since_2003

These casualty rates of the last five years as a percent of total population are much higher than China's historic purges you reference.

Israel?

Israeli Human Rights Organization: Btselem
20 July 2006: Israeli Soldiers use civilians as Human Shields in Beit Hanun
B'Tselem's initial investigation indicates that, during an incursion by Israeli forces into Beit Hanun, in the northern Gaza Strip, on 17 July 2006, soldiers seized control of two buildings in the town and used residents as human shield.

After seizing control of the buildings, the soldiers held six residents, two of them minors, on the staircases of the two buildings, at the entrance to rooms in which the soldiers positioned themselves, for some twelve hours. During this time, there were intense exchanges of gunfire between the soldiers and armed Palestinians. The soldiers also demanded that one of the occupants walk in front of them during a search of all the apartments in one of the buildings, after which they released her.

International humanitarian law forbids using civilians as human shields by placing them next to soldiers or next to military facilities, with the intention of gaining immunity from attack, or by forcing the civilians to carry out dangerous military assignments.

http://www.btselem.org/english/Human_Shields/20060720_Human_Shields_in_Beit_Hanun.asp

Doesn't appear to me that you have a bias against mass murderers to me. But you do recognize China's recent competence dealing with the recent earthquake disaster.

Unlike the idiots in Burma, China has done a bang-up job in stricken areas.....or at least that is how it appears.....they have certainly been willing to accept help from where ever it is offered.....as they should.

China seems focused mostly inward. They seek stability and growth. The United States and Israel seem focused outward. They seek instabilty and violent acquisition of land and resources. At least that's been the pattern in recent history. But perhaps you can convince me that China is responisble for more death and destruction that the US and Israel in the last five years.

C, could you please back up your opinion with some facts...

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Canada would be dumb not to improve trade relations with China. They are an emerging superpower and they like us. Or at least they like one of us.

For example:

Bethune, a national hero in China, was born in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada...

...Fearing the onslaught of fascism, he travelled to Spain (1936-1937) where he assisted the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War and to China (1938-1939), aiding the Chinese in their war with Japan, in both cases performing battlefield surgical operations on war casualties.

Bethune's work in Spain in developing mobile medical units was the model for the later development of Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) units. The need to provide blood transfusions in a battlefield led him to develop the first practical method for transporting blood. In China, he worked with carpenters and blacksmiths to forge new surgical tools, and established training for doctors, nurses and orderlies. He redesigned packing containers to serve as operating tables.[1] He treated wounded Japanese prisoners.[2]

Bethune died on November 12, 1939, of blood poisoning from a cut he received when performing surgery, while with the Communist Party of China's Eighth Route Army in the midst of the Second Sino-Japanese War....

...Virtually unknown in his homeland during his lifetime, Bethune finally received international recognition when Chairman Mao Zedong of the People's Republic of China published his essay entitled In Memory of Norman Bethune (in Chinese: 紀念白求恩), which documented the final months of the doctor's life in China. Almost the entire Chinese population know about the essay which has become required reading in China's elementary schools.[citation needed] Mao concluded in that essay: "We must all learn the spirit of absolute selflessness from him. With this spirit everyone can be very helpful to each other. A man's ability may be great or small, but if he has this spirit, he is already noble-minded and pure, a man of moral integrity and above vulgar interests, a man who is of value to the people."

Bethune is one of the few Westerners to whom Communist China has dedicated statues, of which many in his honour have been erected throughout the country. He is buried in the Revolutionary Martyrs' Cemetery Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province, China, where his tomb and memorial hall lie opposite the tomb of Dwarkanath Kotnis, an Indian doctor also honoured for his humanitarian contribution to the Chinese. One of the three honoured in this memorial is the Hero of the Academy Award winning film, Chariots of Fire, Reverend Eric Liddell of Scotland. He died while incarcerated in a Japanese prisoner of war camp in Shandong Province.

Elsewhere in China Bethune University of Medical Sciences in Changchun, Jilin Province, is named after him. Similarly his memory is held dear to students and staff at three institutions in Shijiazhuang namely, Bethune Military Medical College, Bethune Specialized Medical College and Bethune International Peace Hospital....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Bethune

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Earth as One, the Chinese Communist Party has murdered as many as 76 million of its own people since 1949.

While at peace.

76 MILLION!

I don't WANT them to like us.

In fact, the LESS they like us, the happier I am.

Let's look to India........

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I'm a traitor?

How do you figure?

I support our traditional allies, those that share democratic values.........

I dislike the greatest mass murderers on earth.

I guess if that makes me a traitor....I am.

But I don't know how that could be so.....

Seems to me those that would ignore the alliances we entered into with our eyes wide open, I'd say THEY are the ones who are engaging in dubious acts.....

Please, I beg of you, explain the accusation.

I agree with you Colpy. Why should Canada have any relations at all with a country which has a worse track record than Nazi Germany? Canada offered its condolences, directly to the people (I hope, I didn't see it or hear it personally), but why should we even have warm diplomatic relations with the "class enemy"?

To even support China and its reckless history and present course as a brutal dictatorship is a direct contrast to our democratic and free values.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Why would you advocate that Canada become involved in the International forum of countries which willingly support China in any way? They were never a friend of the Western world, nor do they stand for any of the same kind of values.. Du weißt, als Deutsche, Völkermord kann nicht vergessen/bestritten werden aber du sagst auf indireckte weise im Gegenteil, daß Kanada det preisen soll.. also die chinesische Regierung soll verhimmelte wird... Siehste wo ich her komme?

I think Canada is absoluetely in the right in everything it does in not being direct with the Chinese gov't. Half of Vancouver and 20% of Toronto would be in an uproar in Canada actively promoted the Chinese government.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, Chris....

go and live there for a year! Then come back and tell us how brutal their present government really is. Oh, and please, take Colpy with you!;-);-)

Btw...
are you also still mad with Nazi-Germany? What are you doing in their Capital anyway??? Eating Schnitzel and Bratkartoffeln??;-);-)

:cool: