motive behind Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden?

psychokandy

Jan 29, 2008
toronto
I recently saw the trailer for Morgan Spurlock's new documentary, and I was left with questions. What do you think will be the implications of this movie within the political sphere? Is it just sensationalist propoganda? It didn't fare well in the States, yet I have a feeling Canadian audience will be less critical. What do you think?

psychokandy

Jan 29, 2008
toronto
True. I still have to see Sicko. I guess it's harder to judge social issues affecting a country which you're a part of. I think the same thing happened with Bowling For Columbine. Crappy reviews in the States, great in Canada.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Actually one thing I found a bit messed about Sicko was how well he and his family pumped up Canada's health system.... short waits? Sure.... where the hell were they again? Not where I live, that's for sure.

But it did touch base on a lot of interesting aspects, from France's health and education systems, to how the Suspected Terrorists in Cuba are getting free health care at US tax payer's expenses, to how some hospitals will put you in a cab and drop you off down "Skid Row" if you have no money or health insurance in the US. (They showed an old lady on a security cam being hauled out of a cab down the road form the hospital, still with an IV attached to her and in a hospital gown, walking down the street delirious.)

It's certainly worth a watch though. Should be interesting to hear about Moore's next documentary which will be a sequel of some sort to 9/11

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Actually one thing I found a bit messed about Sicko was how well he and his family pumped up Canada's health system.... short waits? Sure.... where the hell were they again? Not where I live, that's for sure.

But it did touch base on a lot of interesting aspects, from France's health and education systems, to how the Suspected Terrorists in Cuba are getting free health care at US tax payer's expenses, to how some hospitals will put you in a cab and drop you off down "Skid Row" if you have no money or health insurance in the US. (They showed an old lady on a security cam being hauled out of a cab down the road form the hospital, still with an IV attached to her and in a hospital gown, walking down the street delirious.)
/quote]

Praxius, I have experienced our health care system for close to fifty years, in four provinces. First with our children, and later my wife and I. The anecdote about the lady and the IV and the taxicab did not happen in this country or it would have been headlines in every paper in the country. Our system has some warts to be sure but it is still one of the best systems in the world. I will pump up our system whenever I get a chance because it is among the best.