Legal Age of Consent Change

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Recalibrate your jail bait detectors folks, the legal age of consent has changed by two years to take Canada out of the Old West, and put us in line with most other Western nations.

This move is supposedly to keep adult predators from preying on young teens, but, I can guarantee some disgruntled father will be hauling his daughter's 17 yr old boyfriend into the police by next week.

full story

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Recalibrate your jail bait detectors folks, the legal age of consent has changed by two years to take Canada out of the Old West, and put us in line with most other Western nations.

This move is supposedly to keep adult predators from preying on young teens, but, I can guarantee some disgruntled father will be hauling his daughter's 17 yr old boyfriend into the police by next week.

full story

Yeah, that is the problem with this stuff. I think the age raised to 16 is only sensible......as long as there is some flexibility in the law. A 17 year old with a very willing 15 year old girlfriend is in serious danger, as you pointed out. unless there is something about the law I don't know.

And, I hate to raise the prospect, but there are some..........deceptive young girls out there..........some of them very sexually aware and on the prowl.

When my son was young he had a girlfriend..........I remember her coming to the beach with us and emerging in a tiny silver bikini.....straight out of SI swimsuit issue. Simply incredible. After she headed for the water I turned to my wife and said "Tell me again how old she is?'

Just TURNED 14 two weeks before.

And no, I'm not a pedophile.

No heterosexual guy would ask her for ID if she was prowling. Her body would be seen as ID enough.............

There needs to be some flexibility here.....like an emphasis on intent and knowledge.....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think the major danger is for people over 18. So, if you're 17 and have a 14 yr old girlfriend, you have to either drop her or turn celibate when you turn 18. That's nuts to me.

It's bizarre to me to think that my husband and I would have been illegal. 8O We've been dating since I was 14 and he was 18. Maybe I should keep that under my hat incase they can come after him retroactively. ;-)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think the major danger is for people over 18. So, if you're 17 and have a 14 yr old girlfriend, you have to either drop her or turn celibate when you turn 18. That's nuts to me.

It's bizarre to me to think that my husband and I would have been illegal. 8O We've been dating since I was 14 and he was 18. Maybe I should keep that under my hat incase they can come after him retroactively. ;-)

My son was in no danger, as he was only 15 himself.........

My wife and I have been together since we were both 16, just under the wire. :)

I'm 53 now....perhaps we need a statute of limitations......

BTW, remember the PEI kid that killed two guys in Maine whose names he lifted off the sex offenders registry? Turns out one of his victims (William Elliot) was convicted of having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend...........who later became his wife and mother of their two children. She was with him when he was murdered.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My son was in no danger, as he was only 15 himself.........

My wife and I have been together since we were both 16, just under the wire. :)

I'm 53 now....perhaps we need a statute of limitations......

BTW, remember the PEI kid that killed two guys in Maine whose names he lifted off the sex offenders registry? Turns out one of his victims (William Elliot) was convicted of having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend...........who later became his wife and mother of their two children. She was with him when he was murdered.

Sex offender registries terrify me for that reason. I know a kid, well, he's a man now but he's mentally a kid, who would be on such a registry. Thankfully he's been institutionalized because of his inability to control his impulses, but, if he were just a tad bit healthier and eligible for assisted living, his name appearing on that registry (because he goosed a couple women on public transit), would put him in danger. Due to someone else's neglect and abuse, his decreased mental capacity would put him at risk, and that irks me.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Yeah, that is the problem with this stuff. I think the age raised to 16 is only sensible......as long as there is some flexibility in the law. A 17 year old with a very willing 15 year old girlfriend is in serious danger, as you pointed out. unless there is something about the law I don't know.

I feel that so long as you are still in "High School" and below the age of 19, then the age laws should be a little more relaxed considdering the close proximity of ages and social interactions they all go through on an everyday basis. Anyone above the age of 19 should have this type of law applied.

And, I hate to raise the prospect, but there are some..........deceptive young girls out there..........some of them very sexually aware and on the prowl.

When my son was young he had a girlfriend..........I remember her coming to the beach with us and emerging in a tiny silver bikini.....straight out of SI swimsuit issue. Simply incredible. After she headed for the water I turned to my wife and said "Tell me again how old she is?'

Just TURNED 14 two weeks before.

And no, I'm not a pedophile.

No heterosexual guy would ask her for ID if she was prowling. Her body would be seen as ID enough.............

There needs to be some flexibility here.....like an emphasis on intent and knowledge.....

I can confirm that to a degree.... when I was in Grade 12, just a few months after turning 17, I met a girl in another school who was quite attractive and we seemed to have similar interests, etc and then we started to get more involved (not sexually of course) but then after a month or two went by she decided to confess to me that she wasn't actually 17, but was actually 15. I started thinking "ok.... that's something I should have been told at the start" but figured well two years difference isn't that big of a deal.....

.... then she decides a few days later to tell me that she lied about that and wasn't actually 15..... but 13 and just first wanted to see how I would react.

My response was not talking to her again after that.... if she's gonna lie about something like that and can't be open and honest from the start, then clearly no relationship was going to work..... not to mention the obvious that she was well and way beyond the age of what I was looking for in a relationship.... + Being sorta illegal, even being a minor myself.... that was baggage I didn't need.

But to confirm, yeah there's plenty of girls out there who like to lie about their age..... and when it all comes down to the law and who get's the blame, usually more often then not, it'll be the guy who takes the fall for her lies..... even though we're just supposed to know right off the bat..... like we're supposed to know what women think or something :-? We're not mind readers and we're certainly not carnival age guessers.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I feel that so long as you are still in "High School" and below the age of 19, then the age laws should be a little more relaxed considdering the close proximity of ages and social interactions they all go through on an everyday basis. Anyone above the age of 19 should have this type of law applied.

So, at 14, having fallen for my 17 yr old friend, when we didn't start dating until he was 18 and out of school, working the rigs, where would we fall? And when he passed that magical line you just drew, and became a 19 year old dating a 15 yr old? Would the law of black and white rules have cared that my parents knew me and him and felt it was appropriate, safe, and healthy. I know these ages and cutoffs are there for a reason, but, I worry about how discretion will come into play.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
So, at 14, having fallen for my 17 yr old friend, when we didn't start dating until he was 18 and out of school, working the rigs, where would we fall? And when he passed that magical line you just drew, and became a 19 year old dating a 15 yr old? Would the law of black and white rules have cared that my parents knew me and him and felt it was appropriate, safe, and healthy. I know these ages and cutoffs are there for a reason, but, I worry about how discretion will come into play.

Careful Karrie.... There's no Statute of Limitations on capital crime.... ;-)

Woof!

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The age of consent used to be 16 and was dropped because it couldn't be enforced. This is just a knee jerk reaction because some puritans got upset. Nothing has changed. This isn't anymore enforceable than before. It's a waste of time.

Teenagers screw. It keeps our species going. They are stupid, horny and that's the way evolution made them - for a reason I might add.

Sure it sucks if its your daughter that gets knocked up but lets face it, if some relative in your family tree hadn't gotten pregnant as a teenager, you wouldn't be here.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

I guess something along the lines of situating when the relationship began (At the age of 14/17) and classifying it as something along the lines of a common law relationship...... Not that, but as an example of established long term relationship prior to when the law would take effect might work in that case.

Then again, I always found there was a double standard in society in this aspect.... where people look down on a 17 year old dating a 14 year old, those same people don't seem to have a problem with a 27 year old dating a 24 year old.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The new law allows a five year difference in age. A 19 year old can still legally biff a 14 year old boy if it is consentual.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Then again, I always found there was a double standard in society in this aspect.... where people look down on a 17 year old dating a 14 year old, those same people don't seem to have a problem with a 27 year old dating a 24 year old.

I don't fault society for that. It has to do with mental age distance. A typical 17yr old and a typical 14 yr old are further apart in mental and emotional development than a typical 27 and 24 year old.