The Canadian economy!

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/04/28/gmcuts.html
One would think and expect a strong Federal Government here in Canada should not allow it's Nation wide economy to follow the American disaster. I know we as Canadians has some economic dependantsy on the US economy, but the Conservatives in Ottawa knew during 2005-6 election that the promised tax cuts will not allow them economic glory as we see today.
They found the American recession an opportune time to blame their inability to control gas prices which have an affect on all industry as well ordinary Canadians. So the carrot on the stick the (tax cuts) the novelty has warn off today when we see GM to cut 970 jobs in Oshawa no kiting, with gas at $1,31.9 A Clear picture of what Ottawa is doing for the economy.
A government that took a 12 billion dollar serplus and they are about to turn the corner towards a deficit. These bunch claim they are great economists they don't have an economic fiber in them if you had to brake down the mental substance they are made off.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Everybodys in the same boat as far as oil /gas goes, they build cars cheaper in Mexico, our growth is expected to be 1.8% while the U.S. will be .6% we have a slow down the U.S. has a recession on its hand. and if it weren't for commodity prices we'd be screwed because cheap labour is where the manufacturing jobs have gone.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Everybodys in the same boat as far as oil /gas goes, they build cars cheaper in Mexico, our growth is expected to be 1.8% while the U.S. will be .6% we have a slow down the U.S. has a recession on its hand. and if it weren't for commodity prices we'd be screwed because cheap labour is where the manufacturing jobs have gone.

Canada may see a 1.8% growth over the US but the Conservatives at the same time they have almost used the 12 billion dollar surplus they found in place left by the Libs. Their business sense is counting beens they are not great innovators. The only thing I give them a small credit is stopping the high tech space deal with the US about a month ago which protected a small part of the Canadian space industry . But when we look at their holistic record the blues is playing loud as history shows.

Last edited:

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
Due to worldwide supply issues gasoline prices have gone up, people don't want to buy trucks anymore because of this and therefore the plants where trucks are made are scaling back and ending shifts. Add to that recessive signs in the US economy.

Clearly all the fault of the federal government of Canada. :roll:

As for slaying the surplus, finally a government that will do such a thing. The Alberta Conservatives love to rig the budget so they get a huge surplus and then cherry pick a few things for one-time spending, same with the federal Liberal Party.

If you are running huge surpluses year after year then you are collecting way too much tax.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Worldwide supply issues?

Canada sells the tar sands to American and Chinese interests while gasoline prices are dictated by the artificial supply-demand metric of mega-petroleum companies in the United States.

There's no "supply issue" here in Canada what we have here in Canada is a failure to communicate.... to borrow a phrase...

Canadians should be telling their MPs and everyone in provincial and federal government that Canadians deserve to profit from the resources of this nation before the greedy bsturds in American petroleum cartels!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Even in mining and lumber, product is shipped as raw as possible so it can be processed offshore thus rendering thousands out of work as the mills close. A lot of that, you can place the blame squarely on unions. A company has to answer to its investors.

Woof!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Lone Wolf

So you prefer to have economic policy decided by "investors" who want enormous returns on investment regardless of the damage done to the environment? It's OK with you that "investors" in softwood lumber and the Tar Sands are creating moonscapes out of what used to be decent land in Alberta?

I'm afraid that I don't think that the lessons of the past that see "investors" buying-into corporations sending jobs off-shore so "returns" and "dividend cheques" sent to "investors" are plump can co-exist with the rationale that slave-wage sweatshops are a benchmark of western prosperity!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't believe I said economic policy should be decided by investors. I said unions do not get to determine company policy yet they raise the price of labour far beyond that which a company can afford and still turn a profit on these shores. It's profit the investor wants. They don't give a damn for workers. I believe, for all intents and purposes, raw materials harvested here should be processed here. If the cost of processing is too high, it goes elsewhere. It's one of those catch 22's

Woof!

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I don't believe I said economic policy should be decided by investors. I said unions do not get to determine company policy yet they raise the price of labour far beyond that which a company can afford and still turn a profit on these shores. It's profit the investor wants. They don't give a damn for workers. I believe, for all intents and purposes, raw materials harvested here should be processed here. If the cost of processing is too high, it goes elsewhere. It's one of those catch 22's

Woof!

Two well known reasons why the manufacturing sector both in Canada and the US would rather send the raw materials over seas for manufacturing, one as we know labor is much cheaper in places like China and most Asian countries and the other reason is that the manufacturing sectors both in the US and Canada don’t have to deal with environmental regulations.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
...God Bless Canada..
Wait..he "Blessed" it
Now, let's just wait and see how long that lasts
Then we'd be flagging USA, USA, USA!

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
...God Bless Canada..
Wait..he "Blessed" it
Now, let's just wait and see how long that lasts
Then we'd be flagging USA, USA, USA!

God is not an economist, and Canada is not “it” we are talking about a country.
The truth is Canada doesn’t have to flag USA USA USA.
If anything the US wishes today because of their economic difficulty they were in Canada’s shoes instead of their own even though Canada has a governmental dilemma presently.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Worldwide supply issues?

Canada sells the tar sands to American and Chinese interests while gasoline prices are dictated by the artificial supply-demand metric of mega-petroleum companies in the United States.

There's no "supply issue" here in Canada what we have here in Canada is a failure to communicate.... to borrow a phrase...

Canadians should be telling their MPs and everyone in provincial and federal government that Canadians deserve to profit from the resources of this nation before the greedy bsturds in American petroleum cartels!
Or at least get cheap gas. lumber etc.