• Harper is his own man

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johai

Time Out
Mar 23, 2008
Canada - Golden Triangle
If an election is on its way, and has been forever, I believe that Harper's steam would be cut to a few puffs if the Trudeau sons got into the fray. Just seems though that Margaret cannot convince Sasha. Pierre would have encouraged him and convinced him. As we are becoming one of the world's leading nations we don't need a P.M. who is in Bush's back pocket.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
You're absolutely right of course...

It doesn't matter whose back pocket we're in!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It certainly wouldn't help to have Sasha or Justine in the PMO.

Dear ole Dad almost ruined the country once, the last thing we need is another commie loving asshat in there.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I remember Mulroney. He's the guy we are still paying for. Also the guy our grand kids will still be paying for...........:x:x:angry3:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Some more of that real world input, eh.
And now for the details......
:roll:

I remember Mulroney. He's the guy we are still paying for. Also the guy our grand kids will still be paying for...........:x:x:angry3:
You and I have been down this road before Juan, he's no saint, but that burden doesn't fall fully upon him.

Does it?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Oh ... how could I forget Multory, Free Trade and GST? They cost me three-quarters of a million dollars in net worth. My but they were grand for business eh?

Woof!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

You and I have been down this road before Juan, he's no saint, but that burden doesn't fall fully upon him.

Does it?

Yes it does. Mulroney had a forty or fifty billion dollar deficit every year he was in office for no good reason. Trudeau could at least blame a world wide depression. Granted, he inherited a debt from Trudeau but divided by the nine years Mulroney was in office, it was nothing. One of Mulroney's big election promises was to reign in the debt...funny eh....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes it does. Mulroney had a forty or fifty billion dollar deficit every year he was in office for no good reason. Trudeau could at least blame a world wide depression. Granted, he inherited a debt from Trudeau but divided by the nine years Mulroney was in office, it was nothing. One of Mulroney's big election promises was to reign in the debt...funny eh....

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

The same guy who gave us the GST which helped the Liberals reduce and eliminate the deficit, the same who brought us free trade which has helped not hindered us and the same guy who pushed the world to pressure South Africa to end Apartheid and succeeded?

Not bad if you ask me.

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The same guy who gave us the GST which helped the Liberals reduce and eliminate the deficit, the same who brought us free trade which has helped not hindered us and the same guy who pushed the world to pressure South Africa to end Apartheid and succeeded?

Not bad if you ask me.

Excellent post.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You're thinking of turdoh.

Technically, we're still paying for John A's CPR and Laurier's Canadian Northern, Grand Trunk Pacific too. Doesn't matter who's in, someone's going to have a nose out of joint. Righties cry when Libz are in. Left gets pooped on when Tories get to the trough. The only winners are the lawyers....

Woof!

Reactions: CDNBear

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quoting Avro The same guy who gave us the GST which helped the Liberals reduce and eliminate the deficit,

Horse feathers!

The debt that Mulroney, and Cambell handed to the next government was well over five hundred billion dollars. That debt is still mostly there and Canadians will be paying it for years. Just the interest on that debt is almost 30 billion dollars a year.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Horse feathers!
The debt that Mulroney, and Cambell handed to the next government was well over five hundred billion dollars. That debt is still mostly there and Canadians will be paying it for years. Just the interest on that debt is almost 30 billion dollars a year.

The deficit is gone and the debt is being paid down on the back of the GST thus reducing interest paid. That debt was not only the fault of the Tories btw the Libs share over half of it.

Also, I think it sound policy to spend with defict to pull countries out of reccession.

Like John Tory this week saying the Libs should get rid of civil servants, why lay more people off when the economy is in for a bumpy ride? Better to invest than give a tax cut that could end up offshore.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The deficit is gone and the debt is being paid down on the back of the GST thus reducing interest paid. That debt was not only the fault of the Tories btw the Libs share over half of it.

I'm sure most people can pick out the Mulroney years from 1984 to 1993. I don't think we can blame the Liberals for half.......more like a fifth or less. You can also see that the debt started to go down immediately after the Liberals were re-elected.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

I'm sure most people can pick out the Mulroney years from 1984 to 1993. I don't think we can blame the Liberals for half.......more like a fifth or less. You can also see that the debt started to go down immediately after the Liberals were re-elected.

Looks like more than half to me.

In percentage terms the debt increases mostly occured under Trudea from 1975 on. The Conservatives under Mulroney struggled with them and were able to get them down to about 9% a year by the end of their time in power. Then the Liberals decreased the increases until 1998 when the debt actually dropped, which it has been doing since then.

Oops sorry about your luck.:lol:

http://www.blogscanada.ca/egroup/CommentView.aspx?guid=c5e56576-82b5-44a8-b8f4-1e142b85e3dc

Last edited: