Harper sues the opposition

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Once again our Prime Minister is showing just how unsuited he is to running a real democracy. The opposition has raised justified concerns over a very serious issue of the conservatives attempting to buy the vote of a terminally ill Chuck Cadman and Harpers response has been to use the courts to attack them.

Just as with Mulroney misusing the courts to obtain $2.1 million form the taxpayers under false pretexts, Harper is misusing the legal system to further his own selfish interests and is suing the Liberals for $2.5 million.

Shame on you Mr. Harper, stop acting like a fascist and let our Parliment work the way it's supposed to.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2008/03/13/harper-cadman-suit.html

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Harper would stand a better chance of getting his majority if he'd actually be a Prime Minister instead of putting in time, whining, and preying on Dion's screw ups.

Woof!

Last edited:

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Who do you suppose is going to pick up the tab for Harper's lawyer?

Woof!

big surprise, we are

The Conservatives maintain that two representatives from their party met with Cadman ahead of the vote, but he said they only offered him the party's nomination to run for re-election in his Surrey, B.C., riding, and funds for the campaign.

Harper doesn't have a leg to stand on, his version of facts are ridiculous. Cadman was in the terminal stages of cancer and had made his feelings about the direction the conservative party was going by running as an independent after the party stabbed him in the back.

There's no doubt in my mind that Harper knew about the true nature of the offer and it had nothing to do with offering a dying man a chance to run as a conservative in the next election if he cast the deciding vote to bring a government down. Cadman was already doing a great job representing his constituents and the only real questions he would have had is what was going to happen to his family after his passing. The conservatives tried to play on this concern and should take responsibility instead of acting once again as if they are above questioning.

Guess I'm going to get sued now too, what a joke we have for a government.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have to admit to not paying the attention I should be pertaining to this, but, two things strike me right off the get go.

Declaring something on your website as truth during an investigation, IS libel if it isn't proven to have happened, and the Liberals should know that.

I can't say I like Harper, but, it's well within his rights to sue for for libel if it's occurred.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well I could be wrong, but my understanding is that in most cases, when you win your lawsuit, the lawyers take their cut from the winnings.

When I won my small claims case, all the costs associated with going to court were awarded as well. Of course, I can't get blood from a turnip, at least not yet...

This isn't a case of Parliamentary privilege, if it were, Harper wouldn't be able to sue in the first place.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Hey! Harper said he would sue unless Dion apologized in Commons. Are you surprised a pol kept his word? I doubt the Libs could scrape up the money to pay the tab when they lose the case.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Harper didn't keep his word, he threatened to name Dion, Ignatief and others in the suit but wussed out. As it stands the suit only names the Liberal Party and I bet once the heat of the Cadman bribery scandal has cooled he'll drop it. This is just more dirty tricks from a conservative party that has a very long and ugly past in this regard. Mulroney used the same tactic to cheat Canadians out of $2.1 million.

Mulroney will probably walk away from his wrong doings and I bet Harper will get away with his involvement in trying to bribe a dying MP.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Bribe a dying man with a life insurance policy? It's preposterous to contend Cadman was offered a life insurance policy because it would be impossible to underwrite. Why would they offer something that doesn't and can't exist?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Bribe a dying man with a life insurance policy? It's preposterous to contend Cadman was offered a life insurance policy because it would be impossible to underwrite. Why would they offer something that doesn't and can't exist?

Exactly.

Something here simply does not add up.

I was impressed when Hockey Boy actually had the cojones to repeat his accusations outside the house.........

I am NOT impressed by people that use the courts to settle arguments.

BUT, all that aside, the accusations simply don't make any sense..........

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
This suit shows just how unbalanced our political world has become in Canada. Millions of dollars were spent by the conservatives to run a nationwide media campaign to smear the character of Stephane Dion. It was especially intense in Quebec and had a significant effect on Liberal support in that province.

Now the Liberals put one item about the PMs involvement in the Cadman bribery scandal on their WEBSITE- how many people say it anyway- and the PRIME MINISTER resorts to unprecedented legal action to stop an opposition. Harper says the Liberals have attacked his character, but their actions are a pale imitation to the slick and expensive character assassination that was carried out on Dion with the intention of robbing Canadians of any effective opposition. It was merely one aspect of an overall campaign. People complain about Dions performance but he's been operating with both arms tied behind his back. Now that Harper has had some of the same negative media attention turned his way he takes the immediate step of thinking first of his priorities and once again sacrificies the needs of our democratic system.

Canadians have a very serious choice in the next election, we can take the cheap, easy path offered by the conservative party that leds down a slippery slope into a modern fascist state, or remember just what this country is about and reject the desires of a few to rule the many.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Surely to hell there are more important things for the "prime minister" to be doing than suing over his hurt feelings. Is this the guy we want as PM.?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Craig Oliver reported on CTV news: "In Canadian politics, libel suits are often used to intimidate the opposition." Unless I miss my guess, isn't tying up the Courts with vexatious litigation a waste of the Court's valuable time? No wonder there's no justice in this freakin' country. We have too many drama queens hogging the floor.

Woof!

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The Liberals are making a serious allegation. He's responding in a serious way. Let them play it out to see where it goes.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The Liberals are making a serious allegation. He's responding in a serious way. Let them play it out to see where it goes.

If he's seriously going to Court, he should be shutting his big mouth and not telling the world what he should be saying before a judge. Edited tapes? Does he (or Dion) not realize radio stations have the real thing?

Woof!

Poquas

Feb 28, 2008

Any insurance company will underwrite the policy IF they are paid for it. The premium would be in excess of the million dollars and would then be paid out by someone other than the Conservative Party.

Additionally by filing a lawsuit, Mr. Harper can refuse to answer any questions by stating that it is before the courts.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The truly astounding component of this situation is the number of people who maintain their belief in the integrity of politicians! How many times do politicians have to be proven to be liars and theives before the true nature of the politician is acknowledged?

We've seen wars based on lies, we've seen multi-million dollar scams based on lies and sexual misconduct, drunken Preimiers, the list is endless and yet there are people still desperately clinging to their notions of honesty and integrity in Canadian and American government.

You can fool some of the people all of the time apparently....

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Any insurance company will underwrite the policy IF they are paid for it. The premium would be in excess of the million dollars and would then be paid out by someone other than the Conservative Party.

Additionally by filing a lawsuit, Mr. Harper can refuse to answer any questions by stating that it is before the courts.
And of course no one would investigate how he got a million dollar insurance payout? Come on, it doesn't pass the laugh test.