Federal budget passes in the House

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/03/04/budget-vote.html

The Conservative budget easily passed in the House of Commons on Tuesday, after the Liberals decided to skip the vote.

Only 11 of 94 Liberals showed up to vote against the budget alongside the Bloc Québécois and the NDP. The Conservatives still had enough numbers of their own to ensure the budget passed with a vote of 125-90.

The budget is considered a matter of confidence. Had it not passed, the government would have fallen and an election would have to be called.

Only key Liberals showed up for the vote, including Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion, deputy leader Michael Ignatieff, House Leader Ralph Goodale, and whip Karen Redman. They were surrounded by a sea of empty green chairs where their colleagues usually sit.

"That was the strategy," the CBC's Susan Bonner said, reporting from Parliament. "A lot of empty seats. Most of the Liberals were in the lobby behind there, they just weren't in the Commons itself for the vote."

The budget, tabled by Finance Minister Jim Flaherty on Feb. 26, offered only a few big-ticket items, centring on a tax-free personal savings plan for Canadians.

The Liberals have said they don't like the budget, but it's not damaging enough to warrant an election.

I swear if I could swear in here, all hell would be flying.....

Stupid God-Damned Liberals and their stupid antics FFS!

That twice now within the last few months that I remember that the Liberals either refused to vote, didn't show up to vote, or both.

Their F**king job is to get their sorry asses in those seats and vote for the people they represent, not to pizz off for a coffee break for a few hours..... I sure as hell am not paying their bills through my taxes for them to sit around and pick their friggin noses and plug it up their arses!

They either GTF in there and do their damn jobs and stop playing these games or they'll never get back into power.... not that I don't want them in power in the first place, but these antics are BS, they're not what the government is for and they friggin vote or we will!

If they're not going to do their damn jobs properly and loophole the processes of our government like this, then perhaps we should pull their lazy, slack asses out of there and do things ourselves!

Milko

Nominee Member
Mar 3, 2008
You should write or call to your MP if he's a liberal. I'd do it if mine wasn't from NDP.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well I voted NDP previously, but who I stand behind is irrelevent, as my concern is the process in which our government is supposed to follow. There are plenty of people who voted Liberal, and that is their very right to do so and good for them for at least voting.

But I would wish that perhaps this party which is part of our democratic process would do their damn jobs and if the people who voted for them had enough patience and bother to go and vote their sorry arses into those seats, then BY GOD DAM DO THE JOB YOU'RE PAID TO DO! *Shakes fist at the Liberal Jokers*

This makes a friggin joke out of our system, and perhaps we should revamp it like I've been going on about for years. Fire all these idiots in there, hire new people striaght out of college...... And steer this country into it's ultimate distruction.... Yaaaayyy!!!!

smac972

Mar 7, 2008
By not voting, they made a statement. They can't risk an election because of their weak leadership, they'll lose. Dion needs to go. I say Ken Dryden all the way!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well if they're going to lose then they will lose, but they should friggin stop this BS of avoiding an election for the sake of keeping their cushy little jobs that they clearly do nothing in.

We should have an election now and force those idiots to do their jobs. While they mimick and bend over backwards for all the other parties, they stay exactly where they are, they keep their pay cheques and they don't need to worry about getting a decent leader, like they should.

They are supposed to go in there and vote yes or no for whatever comes their way. If it comes down to an election because of it, so be it.... that's how it works.

People voted them in there to do this stuff. Sure if I was handed a pile of stuff I was told to vote on, I can refuse, because it is not my job.... it's their job, and if they're going to not vote and do what they're elected to do, then they should be fired one by one, because no voting is no representation of the people you represent.

The people who voted them in to do these things now never got their voices heard because of their actions, and therefore because of their petty little games of trying to stay where they are, they compromised their obligation to represent us the people.

The NDP, Conservatives and the Bloc all did what they were supposed to do, while the Liberals chicken shat out of the place and didn't do their jobs.... again!

I swear to Jebus that if they pull this crap again.......