The Psyche of Quebeckers

LouisMcleod

Feb 14, 2008
For anyone who's interested in the future of North America...
The collective psyche of Quebeckers goes a long way in explaining why Canada is where it is now. Here's how it was brought to be. Notice the recurring pattern.

The British came and militarily conquered and subjugated us living here. The French king abandoned us to our fate, most of the higher classes and administrators fled, leaving the Church as sole local administrative body over the people. Some of us wanted to fight the British, but most were kept in obedience by the priests, who collaborated with the British in exchange for maintaining their status. They were too many of us for them to deport us like they deported the Acadians. Outnumbered in a remote, hard to access land, the British army played it safe. It toned down any unnecessary oppression, bringing in fresh administrators.

Then 20 years later the American revolution came. Having thrown the British out of the 13 colonies, the Americans sent expeditions north to finish the job in the last remaining english-controlled land, the "Province of Quebec". Some Quebeckers saw the Americans as liberators and joined ranks with them to throw the British out of their land. Others were told to fight with the British by their priests who were afraid that American republican values were contrary to the Church and traditions of the Monarchy, they were told that their language and faith was protected by the British, that it wasn't a liberation but an invasion. In exchange, the British gave privileges to collaborators, and killed off as traitors those fighting for their freedom with the Americans. Those Quebeckers who collaborated helped fight off the Americans and in a way saved this land for the British, not knowing that they would soon pay the price for it. The war ended and throves of loyalists, Americans who fought on the wrong side of the revolution and lost (traitors to the Revolution and its values), move into Quebec to stay British. These were the original English-Canadians, cowards and traitors back home technically. Then began the slow and steady process by which the original Quebeckers went from being the majority to being the minority, gradually drowned in British immigration.

About a third of the way through, the Rebellions of the 1830s came, again plotting collaborating loyalists against freedom-seekers. Again, one camp was punished while the other was thanked for loyalty. The ordinary Quebecker was then pushed back in obscurity as a 2nd class citizen for generations. The trouble started again when the Church got out of the picture. The fight for civil and collective rights brought back ideas of self-determination, which brought back fear of dissent and fresh threats and gifts to insure loyalty and collaboration. The same old pattern...

The underlying theme to this saga is fear, real and induced (for collaborative purposes). This fear lead to a watering down of key values (self-respect, pride, self-determination, solidarity) common in any society. The sweet and sour treatment a group of people receives over the years, brought by a pattern of gift/punishment responses to behavior (some of which contrary to human nature) has lead to a schizophrenic social mindset among modern-day Quebeckers.

This is why to this day, there are two types of Quebeckers, the collaborator and the rebel (freedom-seeker). The collaborator pursues the same sick tradition (first set by the priests) of being bought for staying faithful, like *****s, they are given money, investments, high-ranking government jobs (Prime Ministers...), apparent rights (even though rights are to be taken, not given). etc. in exchange for continued loyalty. The other Quebecker, the freedom-seeker, wants to break away from from this model, stop the cycle, stop acting like a ***** or a primadona, go out on its own, do what the Americans did. [There's also a 3rd type that recently appeared, a kind of hybrid, these are in fact collaborators that pretend to be freedom-seekers as a tool to getting the "goods" from Ottawa.] Only the 2nd type of citizen is mature and healthy for the sake of Canada's and Quebec's future. It is highly unhealthy for Canada to pursue the model of buying Quebec loyalty, it's demeaning for both. Canada is no longer a British territory needing collaboration to fight off the US. This obsession against US independence has been transferred to one against Quebec independence. Canadians (and their Quebec collaborators) are loyalists at heart, they feel that "have" to fight "rebellion", without thinking, even when divorce appears to be the only healthy and mature thing to do.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Actually, while heavily biased in description that isn't that far off (as far as I know)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Actually, while heavily biased in description that isn't that far off (as far as I know)

The elemental truths are there. It's in how they're recorded that creates the cracks. Personally, I don't think they'll survive a decade as an independent - and they'll certainly lose that "distinct society" status.

Woof!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hence the use of the term 'tenuous'. Though the 'facts' of the post in time line are there. It lacks a certain character of truth in certain areas pertaining to what the Americans sought, what the Americans would have conceded, who actually went were and why people chose to go or do what they did.

A lot of assumptions in that there post, several liberties and a couple complete falsehoods.

I'll site America's centralised governing bodies view and treatment of the 'Cajun' as proof of what they would have done had they 'liberated' Kebec.

Some people live in a complete dream scape.

The US was quite visibly aroused by the last referendum. Do you think they would negotiate, or assist certain rivers edge dwelling Aboriginals in securing a certain vital waterway of commerce?

Lets be clear thinking here.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hence the use of the term 'tenuous'. Though the 'facts' of the post in time line are there. It lacks a certain character of truth in certain areas pertaining to what the Americans sought, what the Americans would have conceded, who actually went were and why people chose to go or do what they did.

A lot of assumptions in that there post, several liberties and a couple complete falsehoods.

I'll site America's centralised governing bodies view and treatment of the 'Cajun' as proof of what they would have done had they 'liberated' Kebec.

Some people live in a complete dream scape.

The US was quite visibly aroused by the last referendum. Do you think they would negotiate, or assist certain rivers edge dwelling Aboriginals in securing a certain vital waterway of commerce?

Lets be clear thinking here.

First thing the new nation will want to do is nationalize everything to ensure stable revenues. That includes yon vital commercial waterway. Do you suppose They with the most invested and the most ports to serve are going to tolerate a Quebec thumb on an American throat?

Next comes the James Bay Power Project - which is already nationalized, but the Cree nation have already made their intentions clear. It's their land, and Quebec hasn't been the friendliest of occupants.

I give 'em ten years at best ... provided nobody starts hurling projectiles about.

Woof!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
First thing the new nation will want to do is nationalize everything to ensure stable revenues. That includes yon vital commercial waterway. Do you suppose They with the most invested and the most ports to serve are going to tolerate a Quebec thumb on an American throat?
Ah Wolf, I knew you were a man on the ball!!!

To coin a phrase, I think not....he who has most to lose will undoubtedly seek the quickest and most simplistic manner to gain complete control of said waterway. To which supplying and aiding certain displaced red folk as pawns, to do so.

Next comes the James Bay Power Project - which is already nationalized, but the Cree nation have already made their intentions clear. It's their land, and Quebec hasn't been the friendliest of occupants.
Bingo!
I give 'em ten years at best ... provided nobody starts hurling projectiles about.
I see that happening in the first year. The MWS isn't patient enough to wait.
Woof!

LouisMcleod

Feb 14, 2008

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Uh-huh ... just seems you overlooked including some historical facts following the American Revolution. Don't be writing Canada out of the story yet....

BTW ... thanks for being openminded enough to follow up.

Woof!

LouisMcleod

Feb 14, 2008
I apologize for lack of neutrality in the original posting. I was merely trying to explain the undercurrent of the collective mindset here. Be it bias or not, certain facts need explanation and I originally wished basic neutrality to keep readers open to these. Most sovereignists cannot share their perception of things because they don't master english well enough, this entails an under-representation in english-language forums. That's why even if my thoughts are almost never welcomed or read seriously, I'm satisfied to contribute the other perspective in some way. I guess people who hate our cause should see it as "know your enemy", even if enemy is absolutely not the right word here. I also didn't mean to disrespect present-day Canadians by insinuating that some of their ancestors were traitors and cowards (to the American revolution). I went a little harsh and got too personal. Still, I wish some of the more balanced, undeniable, facts and explanations given keep their value in better understanding this (unhealthy) collective mindset.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
You are right though. To the US republicans the Loyalists (Excluding the 6 nations confederacy) were traitors, to the loyalists and the rest of the Empire, the Republicans were traitors.

frankbaker

Time Out
Feb 18, 2008
The text that started the thread rings true to me, well most of it anyway - even if I understand the lack of neutrality. I live there and I'm bilingual enough to get the picture. It's kinda true there's a pattern and knowing patterns can be good for predicting what's coming.