Yellow card for Harper over Afghanistan.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Recent gaffes surrounding the military transfer of Afghan detainees shows how badly the Harper government is mishandling the Afghanistan war, Deputy Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff says.

Afghanistan is the most important thing Canada has done in 50 years, and he's not leading," he said. "The prime minister has to act like a prime minister, and not like a partisan leader on this issue of Afghanistan."
http://tinyurl.com/3alzbk
-----------------------------------------------
How do you as Canadians feel about the detainee issue? Should the Government have been more open and honest with Canadians? We are paying for that war! We want to know what is going on, so we can scream HALT if necessary!

I do believe we, the public, are being bamboozeled by the Harper Government, because they know how unpopular our involvement in Afghanistan here at home is.
After Manley's report there are still 37% who favur a troop withdrawal.

What I wonder is, where do those captured detainees go now? To here? http://rwor.org/a/117/bagram-en.html

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
37%....seems like there is a reason we arent withdrawing then eh?

The Detainees issue....isnt that big of an Issue...Oh no the ANA treats them badly thats against the Geneva convetion....I dont want to sound heartless but...Since when Did IEDS fall in with the Geneva convention...or Suicide Bombings...We follow the Geneva convention to a tee. if the ANA wants out prisoners fine take them..treat them under Afghan law...its there people...soo why should we protect them if they are no longer in our custody?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Holy crap, haven't seen that name in a while, almost since I joined up here! How goes it ya beer drinking rum pisser? :D

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
It goes pretty well....Other than I am stuck in Petawawa..and the last 5 months I have been here I realized its the most boreing place in Canada....other than that just fine...Yourself?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It goes pretty well....Other than I am stuck in Petawawa..and the last 5 months I have been here I realized its the most boreing place in Canada....other than that just fine...Yourself?
Hey you over priced latrine digging edugrunt!!!

How's trix bru?

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Trix Bru? haha I dont know....

But I am over priced....I dont even dig them....I just make few holes and put some c4 in there and get the Heavys to move the loose dirt...then i sneak off to the officers lines and do my biz there hahaha..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Whoo.... I'm envisioning some virtual chest bumps going on here. Many hearty back smacking hugs and such. Manly men greeting one another in manly ways. The Tim Allen man grunt would seem appropriate here, but I don't know how to type it without it coming out pirate!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
37%....seems like there is a reason we arent withdrawing then eh?

The Detainees issue....isnt that big of an Issue...Oh no the ANA treats them badly thats against the Geneva convetion....I dont want to sound heartless but...Since when Did IEDS fall in with the Geneva convention...or Suicide Bombings...We follow the Geneva convention to a tee. if the ANA wants out prisoners fine take them..treat them under Afghan law...its there people...soo why should we protect them if they are no longer in our custody?

So why are we there protecting the rest of them?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Oh pretty good. Still in school. I'm enlisting next year. ;-)

My girlfriend has an aunt in Petawawa. She ships back to Afghanistan for a second tour in August I think. She says it's real boring there too:lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Because they are innocent? the same reason we are not imprisoning the rest of them....they are nromal everyday people?

So how come Uncle Sam destroyed the schools, roads, power stations, water ways, bridges mountains, communications towers, radio and television stations, farms and towns and thousands of innocents in the initial and subsequent bombings and straffings. 3.5 million dead Afghans since the American invasion because of direct and indirect warfare. No, we're there protecting the heroine which has done a whole lot better under our protection than the Talebans.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
So how come Uncle Sam destroyed the schools, roads, power stations, water ways, bridges mountains, communications towers, radio and television stations, farms and towns and thousands of innocents in the initial and subsequent bombings and straffings. 3.5 million dead Afghans since the American invasion because of direct and indirect warfare. No, we're there protecting the heroine which has done a whole lot better under our protection than the Talebans.
3.5 million....Where did you get these stats? and how credible is the source?.....? Also... Iam speaking as Canadian....Our mission is clearly differant....also we dystroy Heroine....I have buddys that got to do it....Poppies bye bye...lets not forget the weed plants we still dont know how to deal with....

Americans do differant things...but Canadians no...so maybe if I were american and we were talking about American troops...then ok..maybe you could be relevant...but guess what?

Reactions: karrie

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Trix Bru? haha I dont know....

But I am over priced....I dont even dig them....I just make few holes and put some c4 in there and get the Heavys to move the loose dirt...then i sneak off to the officers lines and do my biz there hahaha..
LMAO!!! It's good to see ya bru.

Even if you are a waste of rations...lmao!!!

The Pet's a snore at the best of times, how's the town, still shut down at 7pm on the dot?

Whoo.... I'm envisioning some virtual chest bumps going on here. Many hearty back smacking hugs and such. Manly men greeting one another in manly ways. The Tim Allen man grunt would seem appropriate here, but I don't know how to type it without it coming out pirate!
You bet your sweet bippy!!!

It's a priviledged brotherhood, only the true blue need apply.
3.5 million....Where did you get these stats? and how credible is the source?.....? Also... Iam speaking as Canadian....Our mission is clearly differant....also we dystroy Heroine....I have buddys that got to do it....Poppies bye bye...lets not forget the weed plants we still dont know how to deal with....

Americans do differant things...but Canadians no...so maybe if I were american and we were talking about American troops...then ok..maybe you could be relevant...but guess what?
He won't, can't, take your pick. He's kinda like a Cpl. just enough power to make him a pain in the ass, but not enough to be of any consequence.

Reactions: dancing-loon

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Alright, back to Ottawa and the politicians!
Opposition parties used their first question period of 2008 to batter the government on the Afghan detainees issue, with a focus on honesty and openness.

"Why did the prime minister hide the truth from Canadians?" Liberal Leader Stephane Dion asked Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Monday in the House of Commons.
"That allegation is completely false," Harper shot back.
The Canadian military stopped transferring prisoners to the Afghan authorities on Nov. 6, the day after an allegation of torture was identified.
Dion noted that Defence Minister Peter MacKay was in Afghanistan at the time and yet it took three months for the stoppage to become publicly known.
Harper said the government revealed there was "credible evidence of a particular case of abuse."
The information was revealed to a court last week "to show clearly that the Canadian Forces ... always respect our humanitarian and international obligations," he said in French.

Because the transfer agreement with the Afghan government remains in place, there may be more transfers. "That's why the government hasn't announced there won't be transfers, because there could well be," Harper said.
Under the enhanced May 2007 agreement, Canada has greater access to prisoners and can be more proactive, the minister said.

http://tinyurl.com/33qzgh

Now we know! A lot of hot air over just about nothing! I do faintly remember about the access agreement. Perhaps that's how they found out about that abuse case in November. I hope, our soldiers will abstain from torture practices and keep their eyes open and report, if they see or hear something bad going on!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Well where do your weapons come from? Who's choppers do you fly in on? Who do you call in for an air strike? This years poppy crop will be bigger than last, so we can't even conduct sucessful war on a phuckin plant let alone rebelious land owners. If our mission is clearly different how come we don't see the difference clearly. Is it a state secret?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I would not be proud of soldiers who took no prisoners. If any Candian soldiers are caught doing what the Americans do in Bagram, Guantanamo or other black sites, I'd want them severly punished. I am not in favor of Canadians outsourcing torture to places like Egypt and Jordan either.

Canadian soldiers are over there representing Canada. Do your duty with honor and distinction and make the rest of us proud to be associated with you! Don't humiliate us like the mission in Somalia...

If our soldiers come to see inhuman treatment of prisoners as normal behavior, how will they behave when they come home?

Reactions: dancing-loon

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I would not be proud of soldiers who took no prisoners. If any Candian soldiers are caught doing what the Americans do in Bagram, Guantanamo or other black sites, I'd want them severly punished. I am not in favor of Canadians outsourcing torture to places like Egypt and Jordan either.

Canadian soldiers are over there representing Canada. Do your duty with honor and distinction and make the rest of us proud to be associated with you! Don't humiliate us like the mission in Somalia...

"Humaliate us like in Somalia"...What happens when you put a Puma in a pen with a cat?

The cat inevitably dies.

Well you don't send killing machines to guard rice either.

And just to add to my otherwise already heated evening, I would have shot the lil shyte in the wire...period.

If our soldiers come to see inhuman treatment of prisoners as normal behavior, how will they behave when they come home?
Those whom understand the difference between Toronto and Kandahar, will do just fine. Unlike those that are not Soldiers and do not understand the difference between said cities.