Olympics - not on stolen land!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
On my wanerings across the web miles I came upon a shocking revelation!

... no Olympics on stolen Land!

With the 2010 Winter Olympics scheduled to occur on unceded Coast Salish, St'at'imc and Squamish territory in two years, the spectacle surrounding them continues to wreak havoc on Indigenous people, poor people, and the Earth. In the spirit of resistance to colonialism, with the 2010 Olympics as a main target, Kanahus Pellkey of the Native Youth Movement and Native youth Dustin Johnson are touring throughout the Great Lakes and East Coast in January and February 2008.
"By them choosing to have the Olympics here, it's opening up our land, our sacred sites, our medicine grounds," says Kanahus Pellkey. "We want investors to know our land is not for sale." Pre-Olympic fever occupies the province of BC, and the economic excitement has massively accelerated gentrification and the building of highways, resorts, and condos. The construction of infrastructure for the 2010 Olympics itself is adding to extensive destruction of traditional homelands of the local Indigenous peoples.

In October 2007, more than 1500 Indigenous people representing communities across this hemisphere held the Gathering of the Indigenous Peoples of America, on Yaqui territory in Vicam, Sonora, Mexico. They stated in their final declaration, "We reject the 2010 Winter Olympics on sacred and stolen territory of Turtle Island–Vancouver, Canada."
http://www.dominionpaper.ca/weblogs/dru/1613
--------------------------------------------------------------
If they managed to stop the Olympics.... I'll open a bottle of champagne!:smile:
Cheers, fellas!:p
Everybody go home now and sulk:-(

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
YAWN

Native bands claim 110% of the land of BC.

110%

But, you say, how could that be possible?

Because some of the land is claimed by more than one band.

So I guess we should all back up and get the hell out of the country......mind you, the "First Nations" would STILL expect us to send them a cheque every month........

This stuff is just getting silly.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
YAWN

They are entitled to 100% since King George gave all the land west of the Rockies to the Natives. We just ignored the decree and moved in. So yeah, it is their land.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
YAWN

110%

But, you say, how could that be possible?

Because some of the land is claimed by more than one band.

So I guess we should all back up and get the hell out of the country......mind you, the "First Nations" would STILL expect us to send them a cheque every month........

This stuff is just getting silly.

Remind you of Quebec politics?? No say in wallpapering the kitchen, but we have to keep paying their rent.

Just a thought.

:cool: