Boeing Contracts for Quebec

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Actually:

$290M in aerospace contracts coming for Atlantic companies

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/01/22/aerospace-east.html

Firms in Atlantic Canada will get contracts worth $290 million to help build and maintain Canada's new fleet of military transport planes, two aerospace giants said on Tuesday.

Lockheed Martin and Boeing made the announcement Tuesday at the IMP Aerospace hangar at Halifax International Airport.

When it signed deals with the companies for new aircraft, the federal government required that they invest in high technology in Canada.

Lockheed Martin said it would spend $242 million in local contracts for work on the 17 new C-130J Super Hercules planes.

Boeing committed to spending $52 million for work on four C-17 Globemaster III transport planes.

"These significant investments are a sign of confidence in the talent and abilities of our region's businesses, which have demonstrated that they have what it takes to become part of Boeing's and Lockheed Martin's global supply chains," said Defence Minister Peter MacKay, who represents a Nova Scotia riding, in a release.

Companies expected to win contracts include Halifax's IMP Group International Inc., St. John's Northstar Network and Wiebel Aerospace in Summerside, P.E.I.

Newfoundland's Memorial University is also expected to receive research work.

"These investments are today's snapshot of the economic activity that has begun to flow from the strategic and tactical airlift procurement," said Industry Minister Jim Prentice.

"They represent just the beginning of the significant industrial benefits to be realized in the coming years."

IMP head Ken Rowe said he welcomes the announcement, but is concerned the U.S.

government will cite security concerns to prevent technical data from being included in the contract, which would limit the new jobs to mechanical rather than high technology positions.

So it's not just Quebec getting some deals for once.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if there were also contracts involving the industry in Manitoba as well. If so, it would appear to be across the board for aerospace in Canada.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
The funny thing is that I do work for IMP Group at the Airport and the Stanfield Airport as well... but it's all mainly for the company's themselves and not what they work on. But it's nice to know that perhaps some of my or my company's work for them may have also helped them land the job, although very remote.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The funny thing is that I do work for IMP Group at the Airport and the Stanfield Airport as well... but it's all mainly for the company's themselves and not what they work on. But it's nice to know that perhaps some of my or my company's work for them may have also helped them land the job, although very remote.

How big is that hangar? It looks huge from the highway, and from above:smile:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
How big is that hangar? It looks huge from the highway, and from above:smile:

I dunno, lol... I just make their signs and advertisements :p - Like I said, I'm not directly involved in their work or probably why they got the contract.... but there is that remote chance that shiny new sign might have won them over, lol.