Yet another reason to stop funding them...

Tresson

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005
School board pulls ‘anti-God’ book

Halton's Catholic trustees and staff to review fantasy that is `apparently written by an atheist'
Nov 22, 2007 04:30 AM
Kristin Rushowy
Education Reporter
Halton's Catholic board has pulled The Golden Compass fantasy book – soon to be a Hollywood blockbuster starring Nicole Kidman – off school library shelves because of a complaint.
Two other books in the trilogy by British author Philip Pullman have also been removed as a precaution, and principals have been ordered not to distribute December Scholastic book flyers because The Golden Compass is available to order.
http://www.thestar.com/article/278845

Why are we still funding this Taliban like organization?

Tresson

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005
Okay, yes maybe comparing them to the Taliban was a bit much but that still doesn't make it any less disgusting for a publicly funded organization.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmmm..... it's on our book order form.

There are zealots and morons in all areas of life. Public schools parents freak out about books and they're pulled for review too.... books that discuss drug use, books that contain 'nudity' in the form of medical drawings, books that are 'too' religious for public schools.

They are reviewing it. They haven't even made a decision. Think perhaps you're jumping the gun in freaking out just because one or two people complained?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
obviously you're not Catholic, so........this effects you how?

and don't come back with the garbage "it's a publically funded school system", because if you do...then obviously you don't have a clue as to how that funding works.

Pullman has made controversial statements, telling The Washington Post in 2001 he was "trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief." In 2003, he said that compared to the Harry Potter series, his books had been "flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry has said. My books are about killing God."

and you would expect ANY Christian school or organisation to support this guy and his books because..................

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Some Boards are a bit more open-minded than others. One of the Boards in Greater Sudbury elected to pass on the HPV shots because they might encourage promiscuity.

Woof!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Education includes learning several opinions about any subject and allowing people to make up their own minds. Today all too many kids know how silly their parents really are and as a result pay lip service to rules and parental beliefs. The result is that parents don't really communicate or find out what their children think and believe. The result is there is a disconnect between parents, grandparents and their children. Religious indoctrination does not work all that well in the long run, as eventually the children grow up and begin silly belief systems of their own and the cycle goes on. In short education becomes an indocrination tool for those in charge.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Education includes learning several opinions about any subject and allowing people to make up their own minds. Today all too many kids know how silly their parents really are and as a result pay lip service to rules and parental beliefs. The result is that parents don't really communicate or find out what their children think and believe. The result is there is a disconnect between parents, grandparents and their children. Religious indoctrination does not work all that well in the long run, as eventually the children grow up and begin silly belief systems of their own and the cycle goes on. In short education becomes an indocrination tool for those in charge.

I don't even know where to begin.... but before I do, I think I need you to elaborate a bit more DG......maybe even make sure you have used the "words" that you meant to use?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Critical to delivering a quality well-rounded education is the free dissemination of all material. When a few "high-minded" folk decide what is and what isn't appropriate for the curriculum of an educational institution, that student bodies access to material is shaped not by the challenge of discriminating minds but by the willingness of a few to direct and control thinking.... Hardly the climate of intellectual availability one would hope to find in an "education system".

Catholics or any religious group anxious to hide part of the world and glorify other parts of the world aren't educating, they're conditioning. If Catholics are happy to follow in the footsteps of the Taliban and other religious fanatics in demonstrating how fragile their philosophy actually is, that reticence to openness and critical challenge will produce the same results as the radical Islamists of the Taliban. The issue isn't that the Taliban are soooo bad, the issue is that the minds of children will be shaped and sculpted to particular views that don't accurately reflect the nature of the world in which these youngsters will make their way.

If the Catholic school had made an issue of gratuitious violence and sexuality as its depicted in a great deal of television broadcasting, or even could manage to identify the decades of abuse and continuing lawlessness of the Roman Catholic Church in protecting abusers from the law, then a message that's balanced and invites critical thinking could perhaps flourish.

But the Roman Catholics like the Taliban don't want to juxtapose their behaviors and prejudices beside anything remotely akin to free-thinking that a book or program originating in the mind of an atheist might represent. These folk don't care any more about the truth than they care about personal and community responsibility.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Critical to delivering a quality well-rounded education is the free dissemination of all material. When a few "high-minded" folk decide what is and what isn't appropriate for the curriculum of an educational institution, that student bodies access to material is shaped not by the challenge of discriminating minds but by the willingness of a few to direct and control thinking.... Hardly the climate of intellectual availability one would hope to find in an "education system".

Catholics or any religious group anxious to hide part of the world and glorify other parts of the world aren't educating, they're conditioning. If Catholics are happy to follow in the footsteps of the Taliban and other religious fanatics in demonstrating how fragile their philosophy actually is, that reticence to openness and critical challenge will produce the same results as the radical Islamists of the Taliban. The issue isn't that the Taliban are soooo bad, the issue is that the minds of children will be shaped and sculpted to particular views that don't accurately reflect the nature of the world in which these youngsters will make their way.

If the Catholic school had made an issue of gratuitious violence and sexuality as its depicted in a great deal of television broadcasting, or even could manage to identify the decades of abuse and continuing lawlessness of the Roman Catholic Church in protecting abusers from the law, then a message that's balanced and invites critical thinking could perhaps flourish.

But the Roman Catholics like the Taliban don't want to juxtapose their behaviors and prejudices beside anything remotely akin to free-thinking that a book or program originating in the mind of an atheist might represent. These folk don't care any more about the truth than they care about personal and community responsibility.

Give me a break....what a load of crap! Your first sentence is BS all on it's own. There isn't an educational institute on the planet that allows "free dissemination of all material". There are always standards that are observed to determine if something is "appropriate".

Your second paragraph, obviously you have no real knowledge of what is taught in the Catholic schools. I'd suggest you find out before you shoot off your mouth or STFU if you're too closed minded to actually find out. The school curriculum is determined by the province, NOT the school board. The only difference between the Public system and the Catholic System when it comes to actual curriculum taught is that the Catholic system also has a religeon course that is manditory for every grade and is required for graduation. Otherwise the same things are taught when it comes to the sciences, social studies, math, and L.A.

The Catholic faith does have a problem with gratuitous violence on telivision. It's outside the CSB's mandate to make public statements concerning what the kids do or see outside of school. That is upto the parents, the individual parish's, the diocese, etc. Also, the RCC was not and is not the only faith that had problems with abusers. Yes, what the differnt diocese did to try and cover up that abuse was wrong, and they have been "cleaning up" that disgusting problem.

As for your insinuation that "athiests" are "free thinkers", I would say that from your little rant above proves that hypothesis wrong.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Some Boards are a bit more open-minded than others. One of the Boards in Greater Sudbury elected to pass on the HPV shots because they might encourage promiscuity.

Woof!

I would be more concerned about the issue of the School Board restricting the access to HPV shots than any one piece of fiction. I was educated in the Catholic School Board from pre-kindergarten to the end of high school and from grade 8 on was "out" as an athiest and refused the sacrements. I had no trouble reading what I wanted and believing what I did.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't even know where to begin.... but before I do, I think I need you to elaborate a bit more DG......maybe even make sure you have used the "words" that you meant to use?

What part is so difficult to understand? If kids only experience what their parents want them to know, they'll be just as restricted as their parents. Education is supposed to be a taste of their world beyond their horizons.

Woof!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What part is so difficult to understand? If kids only experience what their parents want them to know, they'll be just as restricted as their parents. Education is supposed to be a taste of their world beyond their horizons.

Woof!

You did read what I wrote to MikeyDB didn't you? As to what is taught in the Catholic Schools? Cause it sure doesn't seem like you did.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I would be more concerned about the issue of the School Board restricting the access to HPV shots than any one piece of fiction. I was educated in the Catholic School Board from pre-kindergarten to the end of high school and from grade 8 on was "out" as an athiest and refused the sacrements. I had no trouble reading what I wanted and believing what I did.

As would I. HPV is so prevalent in today's society that it should be a no brainer to allow the shots. But then again, the parents can always get the shots for the kids at their GP's office.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I sure did read it. Seems to me if the school isn't reinforcing your rules, then the school and anyone who doesn't agree with you is going to be in the same boat.

Woof!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I sure did read it. Seems to me if the school isn't reinforcing your rules, then the school and anyone who doesn't agree with you is going to be in the same boat.

Woof!

and what "rules" exactley are you thinking the Catholic School's are "enforcing" that a public School Board wouldn't enforce that could be seen to be detrimental to the "proper" education of it's students?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
and what "rules" exactley are you thinking the Catholic School's are "enforcing" that a public School Board wouldn't enforce that could be seen to be detrimental to the "proper" education of it's students?

The rule that says your kids are not permitted to see any farther than you. That is exactly what narrowing their choices of reading material is. If you want to encourage a kid to keep his/her/your Faith, then the Faith has to be willing to give them room to compare and let the choice be a free one.

Woof

Last edited: