Maher Arar still on NO-FLY list in US

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, everyone out there;
can you imagine the genuine non-sense of still barring this man from flying to or through the US after he was completely cleared of ANY wrong-doing by Canadian Courts? I just found an article on the news ticker that describes WHY Arar is on that US list. Unbelievable, that US authorities give credit to the word of a known liar!:roll:

Quote from the article:
Rep. Jerrold Nadler of New York told the hearings he had seen the entire classified file relating to Arar as recently as Wednesday and saw nothing to persuade him that Arar should have been tortured or kept on the no-fly list.
The Bush administration still has not apologized, but has instead tried to quash Arar's attempts at bringing the matter before U.S. courts. Arar says the U.S. government's refusal to allow the legal system deal with his case is a continuation of the psychological abuse he's confronted since his ordeal began.

http://tinyurl.com/yo4uk2

What do you think the US is trying to get away with? They seem to have no regard for human life or dignity.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, Walter;

let me ask you, what compensation would you expect from your own country that betrayed you, which caused you to be sent to a country known for its brutal regime and torture practices, having to spend a year or more in a narrow, dark hole to be tortured until you confess to something you never did?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Excerpt from an article by Kevin Steel;
even though the Arar commission wrote that he had been tortured, it did little to substantiate the 34-year-old wireless technology consultant's assertions. The commission, headed by Justice Dennis O'Connor, ran for two-and-a-half years and cost taxpayers $23 million. Yet in all that time and for all that money, no medical evidence was presented that demonstrated Arar had been physically tortured. No doctor testified. A psychiatrist did testify about the psychological effects of torture, but on physical torture, none.
Arar was never cross-examined on his allegations because he did not testify at the commission that bears his name.
Complete article.
http://www.westernstandard.ca/website/article.php?id=2333

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Does it matter that the US has evidence, of an association between him and known Al Qaeda suspects, Abdullah Almalki and Ahmed Al Maati?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Just how do you expect to see any physical evidence when all requests by Canadian officials to see Arar were denied?

More than that, the commission was not set up explicitly for a civil trial for Arar, it was set up to investigate the actions of Canadian officials in relation to Maher Arar. It goes into much lengthy detail explaining the efforts made by Ministers, MP's, CSIS, the RCMP, and the sharing of information between Canada, USA, and Syria.

Anyone who doubts that torture took place are in denial. A man who has never been in Afghanistan, and is accused of belonging to the Muslim Brotherhood as well as Al qaeda, despite all evidence to the contrary would not admit such a thing were he not tortured.

Read the report from the commission.

Reactions: JoeSchmoe

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Why would he want to fly (through) there anyway?

No-fly me to kingdom come I say.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Why would he want to fly (through) there anyway?

No-fly me to kingdom come I say.

It also means that ARar can't fly to Mexico or anywhere south of Canada. All direct flights from Canada to Mexico over fly american airspace, and our airline are required to supply the americans with passenger lists.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Oh, I'd get over that real fast. There's plenty of other things to do. :lol:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
His freedom is being restricted for no good reason.

Of that I have no doubt but I still wouldn't give a crap what those people think of me. My loss if I can't go to the states? Nope. Sure, let all the human rights folk fight over it, but I wouldn't give a damn.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm curious why he hasn't filed a complaint/lawsuit against Syria, where the torture took place? :idea:

Gee...I wonder.....I also wonder why anyone would be surprised by the response he got from the united states for their human rights abuses. I guess the u.s. and Syia are 2 peas in a pod.

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
That's what you have the ICC for.

OR maybe he sees he will never get a dime out of them so why bother? :idea:

One does not "sue" another country in the International Criminal Court. Here's a link for you to read up on the court a bit:

About the Court:
The International Criminal Court (ICC) is an independent, permanent court that tries persons accused of the most serious crimes of international concern, namely genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. The ICC is based on a treaty, joined by 104 countries.
The ICC is a court of last resort. It will not act if a case is investigated or prosecuted by a national judicial system unless the national proceedings are not genuine, for example if formal proceedings were undertaken solely to shield a person from criminal responsibility. In addition, the ICC only tries those accused of the gravest crimes.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Thanks, I was unaware of that.

How about the International Court of Justice? The state (Canada in this case) can bring forth a complaint on behalf of one its nationals. It seems to me he should have started with the actual state that tortured him, no? :-|