Are Catholics above the law in Ontario?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

The Ontario elections are over and Catholics voted to exclude other religious schools in Ontario to receive funding.

So the premier who is a catholic school graduate himself will defend the right to discriminate against non-catholic religious schools

What happened to the human rights laws that discriminate against religion?

It is time for the faith-based schools to get together and bring a court challenge against the government of Ontario.

Seems to me that Dalton has two standards for the school system better education for the catholic school system and is letting the public school system fall apart.

Dalton should right the wrong of the premier Davis who started this whole mess.

This is the promise he should break and bring catholic school funding back to the public system and bring normality back to Ontario.

Just funding one type and not all faith-based schools is a slap in the face of all citizens that have fought for human rights all these years.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Liberalman, here's an issue I can stand right along side you with...

You have hit the nail on the head and driven it through the board, good shot.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Davis didn't start the mess, he just perpetuated it. The problem goes all the way back to 1864 when they started talking about making a country called Canada and one way to get Quebec on board was to appease the RC church. The right for provinces to support RC schools is in the constitution so that makes it law. A brave politician would change the law as has been done in many provinces already.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
McGuilty is the walking definition of hypocrisy and the ignorant voters (and the press) let him away with it.

He is the symptom. Ontario's so-called liberal voters and media are the disease.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wasn't it Peterson that extended the provincial funding for the Catholic schools? Before then Catholics just redirected their municipal taxes.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Wasn't it Peterson that extended the provincial funding for the Catholic schools? Before then Catholics just redirected their municipal taxes.
Davis promised it but quit politics before the backlash got him. Peterson, however, kept Davis' promise.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Catholic schools and Catholic pedophiles are above the law.

Haven't you been paying attention over the past two hundred years!

No funding for any religion is the answer but when you can twist the tail on a politician by promising votes...well...

McGuinty and McGovernment are a symptom of the times....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Ontario elections are over and Catholics voted to exclude other religious schools in Ontario to receive funding.

Minor quibble, but it wasn't 'Catholics' who voted to 'exclude other religious schools', it was ONTARIANS who voted NOT TO EXTEND THIS TO ALL RELGIONS.

Which makes sense. What would also make sense is to go back to one public funded system.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I suppose one must reach the conclusion that someone who is harshly critical of the Catholic Church and its policies is a racist....

While Curio applauds one contributors language skills in another thread, English is given a whole new meaning by someone here....

Gotta love diveristy! :)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Thought I was in Belfast for a moment.... Top o' the marnin' to ya....

There are more than enough schools in the province. Bad enough those schools had to dump the Lords Prayer to appease the whiners. Teach the kids religion in Church. Schools are for the academics and learning how to live together in the REAL world.

Wolf

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I suppose one must reach the conclusion that someone who is harshly critical of the Catholic Church and its policies is a racist....

Exactly. We ought not be offending people's religious sensitivities.

I guess I should have put a ;-) in my original post. I'm only semi-serious. It is however, a direction we are moving in. If we're going to be politically correct regarding religion, we really should be politically correct equally among all religions.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Exactly. We ought not be offending people's religious sensitivities.

I guess I should have put a ;-) in my original post. I'm only semi-serious. It is however, a direction we are moving in. If we're going to be politically correct regarding religion, we really should be politically correct equally among all religions.
Very well...

Shut down all RC schools and move the kids into the public system...

That's fair enough.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

So the premier who is a catholic school graduate himself will defend the right to discriminate against non-catholic religious schools

What happened to the human rights laws that discriminate against religion?

It is time for the faith-based schools to get together and bring a court challenge against the government of Ontario.

Seems to me that Dalton has two standards for the school system better education for the catholic school system and is letting the public school system fall apart.

Dalton should right the wrong of the premier Davis who started this whole mess.

This is the promise he should break and bring catholic school funding back to the public system and bring normality back to Ontario.

Just funding one type and not all faith-based schools is a slap in the face of all citizens that have fought for human rights all these years.

You should have voted Green then because they were the only ones who promises to end funding for Catholic schools.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Some Catholics are fun to hang around with although their weddings are too long. I'd rather get to the open bar.

But, they do not deserve (any more than any other special interest group or religion) to have taxpayer money going to fund their special little schools.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Some Catholics are fun to hang around with although their weddings are too long. I'd rather get to the open bar.

But, they do not deserve (any more than any other special interest group or religion) to have taxpayer money going to fund their special little schools.
Actually...with the accumalated wealth of the RC Church, it is absolutely un-necessary.