Ontario says No to the Conservatives

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

The people of Ontario have spoken and they said we would take the lying Liberals because at least they try to get it right.

John Tory ran a good campaign and he should have won but he had two strikes against him.

Mike (the knife) Harris and our Conservative Prime Minister Harper.

These two individuals the icons of Conservative values have scared the crap out of the voters of Ontario.

This should be a wake up call to the federal Conservatives that they still didn’t get the trust of the voters of Ontario.

If a federal election were called today then Harper’s government would lose.

Harper will have to re-write the throne speech so that the trigger for an election would not happen.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
This should be a wake up call to the federal Conservatives that they still didn’t get the trust of the voters of Ontario.

If a federal election were called today then Harper’s government would lose.

Not too sure about that. Ontarians have a tradition of voting one party federally while the opposite party provincially. eg. 14 years of Trudeau got us 16 years of Davis.

Must be a form of hedging, I guess.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
What do you expect from a population that has to have its government pass laws (put penalties in place) for not wearing your sealbelt (when the relationship between being strapped in and "survival" isn't in question), who choose to continue to consume without conscience and "argue" about "global warming", who are so apathetic that even entertaining the cerebral labor required to evaluate examine and judge one individual one party over another is too much work....

Conservative greed and effort to sustain and maintain the "status quo" (help the rich get richer while the poor get poorer)...isn't a suprise to anyone, but the unwillingness of Ontarians and all Canadians for that matter to hold their elected government to acountability is genuinely mind-boggling.

I suppose the coment could be that Ontarians elected a government that best models their own appetites and preferences when it comes to maintaining that status quo as well....

Harper (our illustrious prime minister) has a little kiosk in the Edmonton mall with a sign over top that points to Washington and says..: (Canada...up for sale!

McGuinty lacks even the moral integrity to acknowledge the failures of this government and the people of Ontario have provided the McGuinty Band of Theives with yet another opportunity to pillage and undermine the province of Ontario and smooth the way for sychophants like Harper to cut a deal with the yanks....on everything from oil to fresh water....

Obviously Ontarians and Canadians are simply too dull to think about anything more complex than "Survivor" and "Dog the Bounty Hunter"...which Ontarians and Canadians believe to represent "reality".

It's often said that it will get worse before it gets better.....

How many more times will Canadians (in this case Ontarians) opt for blind ignorance that will inevitably lead to worsening times....by ignoring the issue of keeping governments accountable?

It will get worse as the citizens of the United Corporation of America are learning almost daily how screwed up a nation can get under the "leadership" of a moron and a cabal of self-interested henchmen.....

Like drinking and driving or seatbelt laws...or global warming for that matter....like Walkerton and Caladonia and Ipperwash and Oka and and and and.... people will sit in the midst of disaster and claim they didn't know what was going on....

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
heh, I've always said that elections are for deposing governments, not electing them.

wish more people saw it that way.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Stupid system we have....only 52% of voters voted..of that 40% went to the Liberals..which means we can have majority governments when 2 out of 10 people vote liberal....

Truth be known...the main reason the conservatives didn't do well...is because they weren't acting well...conservative..With a contest between a left of centre Liberal and a right of Centre liberal the conservartive vote didn't come out..Hell Ernie Eves did better last time and people were upset at the government.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Stupid system we have....only 52% of voters voted..of that 40% went to the Liberals..which means we can have majority governments when 2 out of 10 people vote liberal....

Truth be known...the main reason the conservatives didn't do well...is because they weren't acting well...conservative..With a contest between a left of centre Liberal and a right of Centre liberal the conservartive vote didn't come out..Hell Ernie Eves did better last time and people were upset at the government.

That's hilarious, 2 out of 10 (1/5) is the same number of people that elected the conservatives federally. We seem to have hit the magic number.

Voting is essentially an act of futility. It should mean that you walk up cross a name of a list and that means: I think that this person would best represent my principles. What many people do is think: I don't want X to win, I think Y is the best candidate but I think that Z has a better chance of defeating X. So they vote for Z. Some people think, I don't want X, Y or Z running the show, but X has been in power too long, Y has never been in power, so I will vote for Z.

These are not reasons that make Z a better candidate. :(

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
God.....Does this mean that everybody is not perfectly happy with the election results???......
:roll::smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
ottawabill Says:

And those 52% favoured the archaic first past the post method of electing a government...Who cares if there is no majority government that way. I like minority governments much better. The sooner politicians learn how to behave in said situation, the better Canada will be.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Don't kid yourself, Liberalman!

During Trudeau's time as PM, who was premier of Ontario?

During Mulroney's term as PM, who was Premier of Ontario?

During Chretien's term as PM, who was Premier of Ontario?

The gov't of Ontario is HARDLY a pedictor of federal election results. Don't delude yourself.

I was sorry to see John Tory lose, I think he is a good, decent, intelligent man, despite signs to the contrary (the dumb-ass handling of the religios schools question).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Obviously some people are not happy with the results of the election but with a 72 seat to 26 seat majority, it's not as if it was a close thing. I'm a little disappointed that only 52 percent of eligible voters voted but it is unlikely that only PC supporters refrained from voting, and the results would probably be the same if all had voted.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Well, i think everyone was so disgusted by Mike Harris that the Liberals are benefitting from it. The moronic neoconservatism, which has proven to be an unmitigated failure, and a betrayal of true conservatism has come back to haunt the PC. Still the Liberals have provided nothing to alleviate Ontario's real and growing problem.

That centres around the evisceration of its manufacturing capacities. Under McGuinty's watch another 150,000 manufacturing jobs disappeared. A society that does not produce things, is a society that is spending down its economic well being. The 'boom' years we've seen are little more than a bouncing ball that is losing energy everytime it hits the ground. We are in a race to bottom and an economic debacle of unknown depth and duration awaits.

In part it's not their fault, because the policies that are promoting it, Free Trade, Monetarism, Privatization are the one's that both major parties have accepted.. and ones that have to be addressed at the Federal level. Nothing better will come from the Ontario Liberals. We are in for another 4 years of economic dissolution, and tax hikes and deficits to pay for services we no longer have the capacity to afford. We are being governed by incompetents and moral nitwits, like McGuinty and Harper.

Last edited:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I am not sure how much of a difference it would make if more people had shown up. I think people of my generation are the least likely to show up, and I think that we probably are more likely to be amongst the NDP or <alternative party> voters.

I wish I had a good way for measuring stratification correlation, but I don't have the data that I would need. I would also like to know what the natural standard deviation of election results is. Of course, I have absolutely no way of knowing that. :(

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A lot of very clever manipupation of Tory's faux pas won McGuinty a reprive. It's a great gimmick. Keep the electorate focussed on the other guy's slip on the dance floor. That way, they don't recall yours during the months of practice before.

Hampton should have lost his cool just a few more times.

Wolf

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
lone wolf Says:

A lot of very clever manipupation of Tory's faux pas won McGuinty a reprive. It's a great gimmick. Keep the electorate focussed on the other guy's slip on the dance floor. That way, they don't recall yours during the months of practice before.

But that manipulation was available to both sides. I wonder why Tory didn't answer the criticism about his blunder on education. In any case, 72 seats to 26 seats is not a close race.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I think Tory's about-face hurt his credibility and destroyed the illusion of concrete-hearted Conservatism that Harris-lovers so admire. 52% voter turn-out.... I wonder how many of those were Tories who voted by silence?...

Wolf

Last edited:

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario

I don't think it seemed to matter. For being the alternative party and the alternate choice to the BSing of the mainstream choices, the NDP gained less than 2 percentage points from 2003. Considering the bluster about them holding the balance of power in a minority government only a week and a half ago, that's pretty weak.

I'd be surprised to see Howie leading the party by 2008. Now is a perfect time to inject the party with a youthful leader.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Two kicks at the cat is about the norm. Two pecentage points is a big climb in dinosaur politics. Libs are bound to pee off the fickle Unions and Conservatives will be swept aside as the pendulum swings left. Where is the next Tommy Douglas....

Wolf

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The NDP won't be successful any time soon. Hampton is incompetent and obvious to anyone who watched Tory......well, let's just say that John Tory should be looking somewhere else for his pay cheque.....

McGuinty won not because he was the better choice and not because the Ontario Liberal Party has the best policy platform, but because Ontarians and as the federal election will illustrate soon, Canadians are beginning to realize that our Canadian "democracy" isn't about what people want or need from government, but is rather a system ruled by the metric of greed. A betrayal of democratic principles shrouded in focus on "growth" and "economics" as determined by business and bean counters.

Ontarians will be celebrating "The Day of the Family" in February and won't that make everyone feel good about having another McGovernment in Ontario! Dalton McGuinty believes that by declaring a holiday ostensibly celebrating "the family" that people in this province will ignore the failures of past government attributable to McGuinty and the McLiberals. And of course believe that even when more failures and lies come rolling out of Toronto that its all OK because Good ol' Dalton really believes in the sanctity of the family and family values....

There seems little point to presenting arguments for or against specific policies to Ontarians because they're incapable of seeing anything beyond their personal interests. Cultivated by the consumer dynamic that has whittled away attention span and relieved the average person of the responsibility to think about what's going on .....

Our governments are pathetic because we accept their failing performance and lies and corruption as "normal". Politics used to be about values, what politics is today and will probably remain for some time is pap for the masses, with the odd reference made to poverty and taxes...sufficient to convince the Ontario morons that this guy and this government have a clue.....

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
yep, and those who lose a loved one to a drunk driver who had a few too many in celebration of a lousy day off during a blizzard or ice storm in the coldest heart of winter will have no one but Dalton to thank for it.

I can't wait 'til the Liberals have a MADD campaign launched against them when the next writ gets dropped.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Wolf

You got'er Wolf. Do you remember Robert Stanfield dropping a football?? His name could have been Jesus, he was crucified after that!

:read2: