Cdn border recruits.... idiots

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/10/02/bc-dayinvestigation.html?ref=rss

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/10/01/bc-borderguards.html

CBC News revealed that recruits in the training program of the Canada Border Services Agency had posted photographs of themselves drinking while in uniform, called Prime Minister Harper a serial killer, and referred to French Canadians as "f---ing bastards," all on the website Facebook.

The problem (I believe) lies with how our border is "guarded" and who gets recruited. What I have noticed from many years of crossing the border is that the USA border guards have always been older and more law enforcement oriented than the Canadian border guards.

It seems Canada hires a bunch of 18 year old pukes to ensure that you are paying duty when you come back accross the border. They may as well be working retail!

None of these idiots should be hired.... Canada shouldn't be giving them guns either until they are a proper law enforcement branch with the proper training to go along with it. Don't hire some dweeb straight out of highschool who would have had to work at the 7-11 if he hadn't lucked in to a Federal Gov't job "guarding" our border.

Borderline Insecurity - Senate Report
EMPHASISE SECURITY, NOT MINOR ECONOMICS. Canada needs a system within which personnel on the crossings are border officers first and clerks second – the reverse of the current situation. There should be far less emphasis on the collection of duties and taxes at our border crossings. In modern times these duties and taxes represent only a tiny percentage of government revenues in Canada and the United States. The emphasis placed on collecting them steals valuable time from inspectors, who should be provided with an improved opportunity to focus on their security responsibilities. Raising personal exemptions for travelers will help border officers better direct their attention to border security rather than revenue collection.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I have a lot of friends who worked this job during summer study breaks. The pay is good, but there is horrible disparity between regular border agents and students. Students are paid far less, and I think they should be paid less. But, often they will find themselves in the situation where it is only students working a particular shift. It happens in my hometown-Yarmouth NS-all the time. Saves Canada Customs a lot of money, but is not best situation by a long shot.

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
Students should not be border guards at all.... ever! Maybe they could fill out paper work.... bring the guards a cup of coffee... stuff like that. I don't want border security in the hands of some hungover (yes, I remember when I was in college) college student.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ideally, I don't want border security in the hands of any hungover person, student or otherwise. There is no reason why they can't work with a full-time experienced border agent.