Canadians vote 82% against sharia law banks

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
I should think so. But who and where are the 18% who voted for such a divisive matter.

Seek them

Toro

Senate Member
Sharia banks make loans by entering into an agreement by "selling" its liability, i.e. a deposit, to the borrower, and agreeing to buy it back at a certain time at a certain price. The difference is the implied interest rate but technically, its a repurchase agreement.

I have no problem with this at all. I believe there is a sharia bank in the United States.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I suppose that is a better way of looking at it. Is the repurchasing subject to renegotiations like interest rates?

One way or another, seems like an overreaction to the word Sharia on the part of those polled.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Interesting comment. When I heard of the proposal, I thought, "I have no idea what a Sharia Bank is, so how can I give my opinion?"...

I'd like to know how many people who voiced their opinion have even the foggiest clue what they are talking about.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's only a poll for starters, and Sharia law could not be implemented without Constitutional amendments. They can have their religion, but they cannot choose which laws to follow. Our laws supersede the kind of religious freedom which would see Sharia law followed. If Muslims-and by that I mean Muslims favouring Sharia law- make up more than 50% of our country/House of representatives one day, then we might want to worry. Much more likely it will be > 50% Asian some day, not Muslim.

Not even the notwithstanding clause can help it. Sharia law is slanted towards men with women as subordinate in some rights. Gender equality is not a section which can be over-ruled by the notwithstanding clause. Also, our democratic rights are entrenched, where Sharia sets up distinctly second class (non-Muslim) citizens.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Not even the notwithstanding clause can help it. Sharia law is slanted towards men with women as subordinate in some rights. Gender equality is not a section which can be over-ruled by the notwithstanding clause. Also, our democratic rights are entrenched, where Sharia sets up distinctly second class (non-Muslim) citizens.

No, but inciting hatred against women can be justified by the "religious argument" shiv. Why do we have that defense? :(

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Without a Sharia law bank in Canada, where do those who follow their law get their loans? I'd rather that 'buy out' profit were in our own country and on the books, than having Sharia Muslims taking out all their loans in the US, or overseas. Someone's profiting off them still, and someone's taxing that profit. I'd say we need to minimize the amount of the profit that remains in someone else's country, and take advantage.

But, admittedly, that's just my first impression. There may be more to it that I'm unaware of.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Yeah, the world of banking is insanely over regulated, in my opinion. Each year a nation with Fiat currency, which is all of them I believe, injects extra currency into the system through banks. This extra currency arises as profit from interests and investments. Were banking completely controlled by the government they wouldn't have to create money to hand out to heavily regulated private corporations, they could invest it instead into the country as was seen fit.

If banks were required to actually have in reserves the money that they provided in loans, one would quickly see the problems of the current system. It would take away from banks the power to create money.

Toro

Senate Member
I suppose that is a better way of looking at it. Is the repurchasing subject to renegotiations like interest rates?

Pretty much.

"Repos" are very common in financial markets, usually in the short-term debt market. The difference between the sale and re-purchase co-incides with an appropriate interest rate.

This is how banks operate in the Muslim world. In reality, its just like a regular bank except the agreement is worded differently.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Sharia law, what will they think of next? Good for desert people living in huts and tents. Good also for undemocratic regimes in the Mideast perhaps.

The media has to shoo religion out of politics. First, the Scientific Revolution started by Copernicus, Galileo and Newton proved that religion is not a testable hypothesis. This means religion is just another Asiatic superstition. The day of religion is over. Good ridance.

I read the Saudi royal family considers Saudi Arabia to be its personal property and everything in it. This is not a place where any progress will originate.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

To my understanding how this works is that you get a property that you want, you pay a fixed payment every month and the interest is called units the more units you buy the monthly payments are decreased until everything is paid off.

If you do the math you would be paying more in the long run than a conventional mortgage,

At the same time in a traditional interest mortgage you have to renegotiate every five years causing you great stress if the interest rate increases dramatically.

If you can’t pay it then you walk away from the property.

In a traditional interest mortgage if you can’t pay you have to leave anyway due to repossession.

If you were to offer this type of loan in the traditional banks a lot more people would get this type of mortgage and be able to keep their homes and pay it off with minimal stress.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Funny I just watched a doco about Intelegent Design. What's with the wedge all the time? Gotta get a little religion in everytime someone turns around. :roll:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well that's certainly true, but at least they can't make laws. There is no question there are things in the Charter I'm sure everyone would like to change one way or another. I'd like to see less redundancy for one.

I would almost venture to suggest that redundancy can be a good thing, particularly when we have such a complex system of rights and freedoms here in Canada. Not only does our Supreme Court of Canada need to consider the provisions of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but also the Canadian Bill of Rights (which remains in force today), and the relationships that those statutes have with unwritten constitutional principles and norms (as they apply to Canada by references in the Constitution Act, 1867). We would need to have comprehensive discussion and study before endeavouring to modify that framework, in my opinion.

Reactions: darkbeaver