USA Draft tactics at high Schools

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
I recieved an e-mail from a distraught mother who claims that her son's high school is demanding that student's personal info is given to the USA military.

This sounds like preparations for a draft eh? I would not like this to happen in Canada, and I would dispute that any "free nation" would demand such info, with such drastic consequences for those who refuse.

The boy won't be allowed to have his name on graduation diplomas or any other school function unless they acquiesce.

Copy of her email:

Hello All:

As have many students, my son has been officially
blacklisted by his school because his father and I
have refused to allow his personal information to be
given to military recruiters. Here are excerpts from
the offical letter announcing his punishment:

"Dear Parents/Guardians of Juniors and Seniors:

Congress has passed two major pieces of legislation
that require local education agencies (high schools)
receiving assistance under the Elementary and
Secondary Education Act of 1965 to give military
recruiters the same access to secondary school
students as they provide to post secondary
institutions or to prospective employers. Local
education agencies are also required to provide
students' names, addresses, and telephone listings to
military recruiters, and higher education learning
when requested.

Under FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act),
this letter provides notice to you of the types of
student information that it releases publicly. This
type of student information, commonly referred to as
"directory information," includes the students' names,
the names of the student's parents/guardians, the
student's address, the student's date of birth and
telephone numbers and is information generally not
considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if
disclosed. If you chose not to participate, your
child's name will also not be able to appear in
anything associated with this school such as the
graduation program, honor roll list, sports programs
and the annual yearbook."

My son, like many others, is a frequent honor roll
student, will not be able to be listed. Like many
other students, if he does something noteworthy, the
school newspaper cannot mention him. He may not be
allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies. This
is wrong on many levels.

[also, but not not included here, a request to send e-mails to the school]

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
a question that springs to mind as well is "why is this woman the only woman in all the USA who's noticed that her kid's info is being taken down in such a bully-fashion?"

triedit

inimitable
It's my understanding that those named institutions are to be given that information when the STUDENT requests it. I would think the ACLU would love to have a go at this high school....

Info here:
http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/hottopics/ht-10-09-02a.html

says nothing whatsoever about the school holding back rewards, etc. Clearly states the parents can opt out (but they opt out for ALL organizations and colleges etc, not just the military)

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay... I get it now....

If you choose to have your child's public information suppressed, then the school will do so across the board... suppress names, photos, etc. Thus, standing in front of a crowd having your name read out, having your photo up on an honor roll board with your name attached, will not happen. That's not 'punishment' that's part and parcel of deciding that you need to be kept secret or private.

Under FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act),
this letter provides notice to you of the types of
student information that it releases publicly. This
type of student information, commonly referred to as
"directory information," includes the students' names,
the names of the student's parents/guardians, the
student's address, the student's date of birth and
telephone numbers and is information generally not
considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if
disclosed. If you chose not to participate, your
child's name will also not be able to appear in
anything associated with this school such as the
graduation program, honor roll list, sports programs
and the annual yearbook."

My son, like many others, is a frequent honor roll
student, will not be able to be listed. Like many
other students, if he does something noteworthy, the
school newspaper cannot mention him. He may not be
allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies. This
is wrong on many levels.

[also, but not not included here, a request to send e-mails to the school]

triedit

inimitable
Okay... I get it now....

If you choose to have your child's public information suppressed, then the school will do so across the board... suppress names, photos, etc. Thus, standing in front of a crowd having your name read out, having your photo up on an honor roll board with your name attached, will not happen. That's not 'punishment' that's part and parcel of deciding that you need to be kept secret or private.

Graduation, honor rolls, etc do not qualify as disclosure under this particular act. Typically these disclosures do not include anything but the name and possibly the child's photo, which has to be approved for release anyway--schools typically have a form sent home at the beginning of the year allowing thier likeness to be used.

Sounds like her school has just taken it too far. Basically the law says that IF you provide these marketing lists to universities and employers, you ALSO have to make it available to the military recruiters. It does NOT say the school MUST supply this information to universities, et al. So if your school provides State University with a list of graduating seniors for recruitment, it must also supply this list, when asked, to the military recruiters and other employment recruiters. Failure to make it across the board will cause loss of funding.

But again, they are not required to submit this information to anybody at all. And even when they are doing it, the parents can opt out--sort of like going on a no-call list--without the school losing federal funding.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Catchy thread title though.

Draft Tactics :lol:

What does getting information for recruiting hurt? I tell you what, don't surpress the information and let the kid have a normal life.

When the Army recruiter calls... just say you're not interested. I did, they did not call me back.
When the Navy recruiter calls... just say you're not interested. I did, they did not call me back.
When the USAF recruiter calls... just say you're not interested. I did, they did not call me back.
When the USMC recruiter calls... just say you're not interested. I was and I joined and did 4 years.

Mountain out of a mole hill. That is what this is. It's just mommy trying to protect junior from the Big Bad Wolf.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Mountain out of a mole hill. That is what this is. It's just mommy trying to protect junior from the Big Bad Wolf.

I agree. I know plenty of people have my phone number.. they call all the time wanting me to do stuff I don't wanna do. i say no.

And the stuff about it being preparation for a draft... a draft is usually reliant on tax info, voter registration, etc., isn't it? They could care less if recruitment got your phone number or not when it comes time for a draft.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's comments like these that make the left more and more irrelevant. :roll:

I love it when raw nerves meet sarcasm. Makes a narrow rightist mind even more righteous....

Do you really think I wouldn't know there's more than one mother in the whole USA who would be raising hell about a pre-draft ... or that 1965 is way pre-Bush?

Hell ... if it was new - it would make news!

Wolf

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I agree. I know plenty of people have my phone number.. they call all the time wanting me to do stuff I don't wanna do. i say no.

And the stuff about it being preparation for a draft... a draft is usually reliant on tax info, voter registration, etc., isn't it? They could care less if recruitment got your phone number or not when it comes time for a draft.

The word "DRAFT" is a match point. That is what stirs people to action. Anti-War groups have been trying to scare college kids and their parents about the "impending draft" whereas just about every politician knows that supporting a draft means the end of feeding off the public. Only two members of Congress supported a new draft, both Democrats and sponsors of the bill.

Here is all little Billy has to do.

<RING>
Hello?
May I speak to Bill?
This is he
Bill, This is Sgt. Rock from the US Army Recruiting station. I'd like to talk to you.
No thanks <click>

That's all!