Bill 101 paved way for peace

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
HUBERT BAUCH, The Gazette
Published: Saturday, August 25

Monday marks the 30th anniversary of the day the Charte de la langue française, commonly known in anglo Quebec parlance as Bill 101, became law in the province. It was at the time, and yet remains, the most contentious piece of Quebec legislation passed in the past half-century.
It was passed in the National Assembly the day before, on Aug. 26, 1977, after a roiling marathon 40-day, 200-hour debate, by a vote of 54 to 32. Its passage was assured by the Parti Québécois majority in the house; both opposition parties at the time - the Liberals and the late Union Nationale - voted against.
The language act notably declared French Quebec's only official language, banished English from commercial signs, shut francophones and immigrants out of English public schools, and obliged all but mom-and-pop businesses to operate in French.

continued here...

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazet....html?id=c8f23da3-9edc-4341-8f44-4534e5488941

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
It still bothers me (yes after all these years) that I have the freedom to send my children to English schools in Quebec, however French speaking Canadians are not given this choice. Why should they not be able to educate their kids with the tools necessary to succeed and be mobile (if they so choose). They pay taxes like the rest of us, they should be given the same rights.

The language act notably declared French Quebec's only official language

The British North America act, section 133 calls for bilingualism. This law is still valid and does indeed apply to Quebec. I'm no law expert, but I wonder what takes precedence if you have two laws that are in conflict with each other?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
It still bothers me (yes after all these years) that I have the freedom to send my children to English schools in Quebec, however French speaking Canadians are not given this choice. Why should they not be able to educate their kids with the tools necessary to succeed and be mobile (if they so choose). They pay taxes like the rest of us, they should be given the same rights.

The British North America act, section 133 calls for bilingualism. This law is still valid and does indeed apply to Quebec. I'm no law expert, but I wonder what takes precedence if you have two laws that are in conflict with each other?

I find it interesting that you criticize the law from the point of view of a French speaking Quebecer. While Bill 101 is largely supported among francophones in Quebec, the main reason why a minority of francophones DON'T support it is because they can't send their kids to English school if that is what they desire for their kids. While the law does a fairly solid job at protecting the future of francophone culture in Quebec, it also, I admit, contributes to the isolation of the francophones.

Being able to decently understand and speak English is clearly a huge asset not only in North America, but in the whole world. So Quebecers would be unwise to stop themselves from learning the language. But I don't think Bill 101 stops you from learning proper English. English immersion is reasonably accessible.

However I'll admit the mandatory English taught in school should clearly be of better quality than it is now. If it was up to me, everyone would be bilingual coming out of high school.

I believe in Bill 101 as long as its purpose is to protect French, not to hinder learning of other languages. Bill 101 is an essential part of what Quebec is. Quebecers have taken a political action to maintain French and it worked.

Last edited:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Charte de la langue française

Interesting how you avoided the question about whether the Constitution Acts, 1867–1982 take precedence over the Charte de la langue française—I would argue that it indeed does. The intention of la Charte, in my opinion, is not so much to promote French, but rather to hinder English. That piece of legislation is in need of a complete overhaul.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Interesting how you avoided the question about whether the Constitution Acts, 1867–1982 take precedence over the Charte de la langue française—I would argue that it indeed does. The intention of la Charte, in my opinion, is not so much to promote French, but rather to hinder English. That piece of legislation is in need of a complete overhaul.

So what are you gonna do? Should Canada impose us to scrap the law?

You would see seperatism rise up to 70% in a flash...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
HUBERT BAUCH, The Gazette
Published: Saturday, August 25

Monday marks the 30th anniversary of the day the Charte de la langue française, commonly known in anglo Quebec parlance as Bill 101, became law in the province. It was at the time, and yet remains, the most contentious piece of Quebec legislation passed in the past half-century.
It was passed in the National Assembly the day before, on Aug. 26, 1977, after a roiling marathon 40-day, 200-hour debate, by a vote of 54 to 32. Its passage was assured by the Parti Québécois majority in the house; both opposition parties at the time - the Liberals and the late Union Nationale - voted against.
The language act notably declared French Quebec's only official language, banished English from commercial signs, shut francophones and immigrants out of English public schools, and obliged all but mom-and-pop businesses to operate in French.

continued here...

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazet....html?id=c8f23da3-9edc-4341-8f44-4534e5488941
What a load of crap...Nothing like abusing the rights of citizens to further a political agenda.

Funny how the Quebecuois fuss so much about their rights, but work so hard and spend so much energy trying to stifle the rights of others.

s_lone, it saddens me that you find this piece of shyte a good thing.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
What a load of crap...Nothing like abusing the rights of citizens to further a political agenda.

What political agenda? Seperation of Quebec from Canada? If that's what's you're refering to, it's ironic bec ause bill 101 helped to keep Quebec IN Canada. Thanks to it, Quebecers simply don't feel the threat to their language and culture and therefore don't see the necessity to seperate.

Funny how the Quebecuois fuss so much about their rights, but work so hard and spend so much energy trying to stifle the rights of others.

s_lone, it saddens me that you find this piece of shyte a good thing.

Understandably, the law doesn't please everybody. But the impact it had on Quebec is undeniable. It was one of the major steps taken by the francophone majority to defend their culture and status as a francophone MINORITY within Canada and North America. It was a necessary compromise for Quebec to accept being part of Canada. The pro-seperatist 'defend our culture-language' argument simply doesn't stand anymore because Quebec has all it needs to defend itself culturally within the Canadian framework, but it needed to take some important measures to get to that point.

If it hadn't been for Bill 101, the city of Montreal would be a heck of a lot more anglophone than it is right now. And believe me, English is VERY present in Montreal. But so is French and that's thanks to bill 101. A very large majority of immigrants that come in Quebec settle themselves in Montreal, and if all of them had been taught in English, francophones would be a weakening minority within the city. It's obvious all immigrants would choose an English education if they could. But Quebec has decided to be a pre-dominantly francophone society and immigrants are aware of the law when they settle themselves here. If they fundamentally don't agree with it and absolutely want an English education, Ontario is not very far away. Or if they can afford it, they can send their kids to private school.

Don't forget that once high school is over, students are free to study in English or French. With a minimum of of effort, becoming bilingual in Quebec is very accessible.

I certainly don't see anything to whine about in the sign laws. If you put up a sign, you can put any language you want on it, as long as French is there too. That's not taking rights away, it's giving an obligation to citizens.

You obviously don't give a crap about the future of francophone culture in Quebec but I do and so does a majority of Quebecers.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh please!~

This bill was struck down by the Supreme Court and had to be rewritten. The only comprimise was on the part of the Suprem Court. You guys were not willing to comprimise at all.

This bill is still in violation of several Charter rights, but has been let be to appease you lot. Nothing more, nothing less. In free Canada, you can put a sign up in whatever language you chose to cater to. But not in selfserving Kebec.

The Draconian laws are just that, antiquated and...well...Draconian. No surprise there. Wasn't there a great base of support for Hitler there during WWII(LWF)?

Look, it's real simple, bill 101 over rides peoples choice of language. No matter what you think you're doing...ie: protecting, preserving, lol, BS...It's about forcing people to conform to something that should be allowed to evolve on its own. Look at Natives, we're recreating our traditional heritage and using our original tongue, all without forcing others to do so against their will, with laws that teater on the edge of illegal.

You are quite wrong about how I feel about the true Lebec culture, you're making assumptions now.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Oh please!~

This bill was struck down by the Supreme Court and had to be rewritten. The only comprimise was on the part of the Suprem Court. You guys were not willing to comprimise at all.

This bill is still in violation of several Charter rights, but has been let be to appease you lot. Nothing more, nothing less. In free Canada, you can put a sign up in whatever language you chose to cater to. But not in selfserving Kebec.

That's right, Quebec serves itself. Canada is not one big chunk and provinces are something very real. Provinces have a degree of autonomy and Quebec uses it.

The Draconian laws are just that, antiquated and...well...Draconian. No surprise there. Wasn't there a great base of support for Hitler there during WWII(LWF)?

Cut the Nazi crap will you?

Look, it's real simple, bill 101 over rides peoples choice of language. No matter what you think you're doing...ie: protecting, preserving, lol, BS...It's about forcing people to conform to something that should be allowed to evolve on its own. Look at Natives, we're recreating our traditional heritage and using our original tongue, all without forcing others to do so against their will, with laws that teater on the edge of illegal.

Francophone Quebecers are lucky enough to have political power in the sense that they constitute a majority within the province, which is itself a political entity with political powers. Natives are in a very different situation because of the grim reality of history... I doubt that blocking roads is legal, but Natives have done it often to be heard loud and clear and I applaud their bravery.

If Quebec law is illegal from a federal point of view, it just shows how ****ed up Canada truly is and how it desperatly needs to face the reality of its own inner inconsistencies. Quebec law is illegal but Canada is too chicken to do anything about it? CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Must make you proud to be Canadian right?

You are quite wrong about how I feel about the true Lebec culture, you're making assumptions now.

Sorry about my wrong assumptions. I understand your point of view that French should evolve naturally. I'd like to think the language can survive on its own without drastic measures and one day, we might feel we can scrap the law, but not now. I actually think francophones have become too dependant on help from the State (federal or provincial) to promote their culture. Eventually, it would be nice if the culture could just stand and survive on its own without the drastic measures. But in my view, these measures were a necessary step of empowerment. The necessity of the measures might expire eventually but we're not quite there yet.

Last edited: