Time to Dump the Monarchy

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
That reminds me of the movie, Queen.
Apparently, according to the story in that movie which is likely to be familiar with the truth, the royalty dislikes marketing of their young's death. If the movie is accurate that is.
They would prefer more..private funeral.
I believe that its just populous that is being overly exaggerating of a royalty's death.
As always, subjects flatter themselves, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,

I love monarchy although it has class distinction....
It should be our duty to preserve in, in democracy.

I am British subject..right?
Canada = British subject.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's the 10th anniversay of the tenth of the death of Diana. Now just a sad marketing opportunity. Truly, doesn't the royal family know when to pack it in? Wouldn't that be a sign they still have some class?

A marketing opportunity for whom?

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Dump the monarchy, go for it.

The constitutional ammendment requires the unanimous agreement of all the provinces though, good luck getting that.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
It's the 10th anniversay of the tenth of the death of Diana. Now just a sad marketing opportunity. Truly, doesn't the royal family know when to pack it in? Wouldn't that be a sign they still have some class?
Very tired and much overly debated topic, here and elsewhere. Why should we dump the monarchy? What are you reasons for changing our system of government? What specifically does the Royal Family do that you seem to object to?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Perhaps he’s/she’s run out of things to complain about?

Possibly. The fact is, I'm in the middle as far as the Canadian monarchy goes. I quite like the Queen, but not necessarily the instiution.

Be that what it may, the cause for shedding the monarchy in Canada has to have more meat to it other than they just don't care for the Queen.

Provide sufficient reasons, and further, what system would replace it.

That is what is always missing from those against the monarchy, a workable solution for the government when it is removed from our system of government.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Two reasons NOT to drop the Monarchy.

1. For all its purported anachronism, the Monarchy provides an important counterbalance to that massive, grasping, centrifugal force to the south of us. It's that sense of not being a bush league appendage of the American Empire that keeps some semblance of independence to the Canadian vision of itself. It provides a direct link in that regard to the War of Quebec (7 Years War), American War of independence and the War of 1812 where the Canadian independent identity was formed. All 100,000 Canadians who died in the wars of the last century, did so, for King and Country.

2. Re-opening the Constitution, a necessity for becoming a republic, would bring all of the petty, self centred, feeble spirits and provincial potentates out of their lairs to demand their special rights and distinctions. The patriotic nationalists would be out-screamed, as usual, and the politicians we've have had in the last couple of decades have been too weak and too mediocre to forge a strong centralized federal state from its fractious elements.

It's not worth the hassle. God Save the Queen.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Dumping the monarchy is constitutionally very difficult. We have a system that prevents change, which in a changing world does not seem like a good plan. It goes without saying we expect business to be dynamic and adjust to the changing environment, but in gov't we have no trouble keeping anachronisms that hold us back. Some may say that's good, as some traditions must be kept.

The image of business these days is far better than the image of gov't. Perhaps that is the plan. So we get a neo-con gov't as a result. To say the monarchy keeps us from being American sounds hollow.

Gov't is not a business but it has to change too. The monachy has no use, the Governor-General is a PR prop for the elites. I would trade a dumped monarchy for an elected Senate. But then Canada would have to have one vote to equal one MP. Now federal voters in PEI are worth than federal voters in Ontario or BC. Or, eliminate PEI as a province, it was born out of corruption anyway.

Right now, if I were a Quebecer I would never agree to an elected Senate, it is a political absurdity to give PEI equal power with BC, Ontario or Quebec.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

1. For all its purported anachronism, the Monarchy provides an important counterbalance to that massive, grasping, centrifugal force to the south of us. It's that sense of not being a bush league appendage of the American Empire that keeps some semblance of independence to the Canadian vision of itself. It provides a direct link in that regard to the War of Quebec (7 Years War), American War of independence and the War of 1812 where the Canadian independent identity was formed. All 100,000 Canadians who died in the wars of the last century, did so, for King and Country.

2. Re-opening the Constitution, a necessity for becoming a republic, would bring all of the petty, self centred, feeble spirits and provincial potentates out of their lairs to demand their special rights and distinctions. The patriotic nationalists would be out-screamed, as usual, and the politicians we've have had in the last couple of decades have been too weak and too mediocre to forge a strong centralized federal state from its fractious elements.

It's not worth the hassle. God Save the Queen.

So basically you're saying we should keep the monarchy because we are not a united country and because it makes us different than the Americans...

Not impressed...

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself. The Crown is at the core of this country's history, and continues to be a powerful symbol of the time when Canada was carving its place in the world. Dumping it would be a shame to our forefathers, who were proud of their place in the British Empire and who, at the same time, recognised our need to be autonomous and politically independent. Our constitutional monarchy is not the antithesis of independence and democracy, for we have all three even as we speak. So honestly, republicans need to just give it up, it's a moot point. Lots of countries have Constitutional monarchies, and there's no reason why Canada should cease to be one. And I also think it's an honour to represent the British Commonwealth on this North American continent. It's who we are, and I think too many people have either forgotten that, or sadly never learnt it in the first place. We have a history and a culture so let's show a little pride for a change and stop trying to gut and hollow out our true heritage in the interest of being more like the Americans, or for flimsy, dime-a-dozen notions of what Canada 'should be'.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Subject of the empire, subject of the British empire, subject of the crown. Yes yes, it is all very interesting, but what does it all mean? In our everyday life, do we feel like a subject of some power? Just a lot of mumbo jumbo as far as I can tell.

Our forefathers/mother might be ashamed of us right now being subjects of the crown if people can't get it right and/or don't care. But hey, we need not keep what is not relevant to us today. Over time, some baggage is dumped overboard.

So we can't be citizens and independent of the USA? Why do we have to be "subjects" of anything to feel independent of the USA? Seems el lamo to me.