Conservatives trying to undercut other parties

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'm listening on CBC radio how the conservatives are trying to undercut other parties by apppointing representatives in opposition MP ridings and encouraging people to go to them instead of their elected MPs. Nathan Cullen in Skeena-Bulkly Valley is fighting this right now.

I'll say it again, Harper is a friggin Nazi. Like Hitler he's trying to turn a weak minority government into total power. Hitler only had 33% of the vote when he came to power and by manipulating things behind the scenes he soon destroyed democracy in Germany and assumed complete control, Sound familiar?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
parallel organizations.

right out the the successful european fascist handbook.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Can the Brown Shirts be far behind.

Except they'll be wearing business suits and have $200 haircuts.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
parallel organizations.

right out the the successful european fascist handbook.

Mussolini just had the misfortune in choosing the wrong side in a war that was becoming too large to stay within Europe. Italy had a long history of playing one nation off against another as it tried to get its stolen land back. So my wife tells me.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Mussolini just had the misfortune in choosing the wrong side in a war that was becoming too large to stay within Europe. Italy had a long history of playing one nation off against another as it tried to get its stolen land back. So my wife tells me.

Mussolini picked his pony by going into Ethiopia well before Hitler started marching on anything.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
I'm listening on CBC radio how the conservatives are trying to undercut other parties by apppointing representatives in opposition MP ridings and encouraging people to go to them instead of their elected MPs. Nathan Cullen in Skeena-Bulkly Valley is fighting this right now.

I'll say it again, Harper is a friggin Nazi. Like Hitler he's trying to turn a weak minority government into total power. Hitler only had 33% of the vote when he came to power and by manipulating things behind the scenes he soon destroyed democracy in Germany and assumed complete control, Sound familiar?

Does anyone have a link to a legitimate source that can be referenced regarding this type of activity on the part of the Harper government? I'm very interested.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Does anyone have a link to a legitimate source that can be referenced regarding this type of activity on the part of the Harper government? I'm very interested.

Well, there was also the manual on how to stall committees, but I never got my hands on that one. You don't have to look very far to see the lengths they are going to subvert the way our democracy conventionally worked.

Toro

Senate Member
Toro, next time add some actual opinion on the issue rather than sit taking shots at the posters. You are soon becoming no better than a troll.

Its a hysterical over-reaction to an election ploy. The Tories are trying to raise their profile in ridings they don't have a sitting MP.

Sorry I had to explain it to you. I didn't realize you had such tender sensibilities when you are being so self-righteously indignant at the word "hysteria" when others are tossing around the terms "fascist," "Nazi" and "Hitler." No doubt you wouldn't get particularly upset when describing "Taliban" Jack as a "communist."

:roll:

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Its a hysterical over-reaction to an election ploy. The Tories are trying to raise their profile in ridings they don't have a sitting MP.

Sorry I had to explain it to you. I didn't realize you had such tender sensibilities when you are being so self-righteously indignant at the word "hysteria" when others are tossing around the terms "fascist," "Nazi" and "Hitler." No doubt you wouldn't get particularly upset when describing "Taliban" Jack as a "communist."

No, you didn't have to explain it to me. You simply had to explain yourself. Now what is so self-righteously indignant is believing that you can toss out such an open ended comment of provocation to others here and expect them to pull out some deeper meaningful value out of it.

However if that how these forums for dialogue are suppose to work than I can really see the "apathy meter towards democratic principles" shooting past the needle.

Now go figure out for yourself then how that comment is suppose to be interpreted.

Toro

Senate Member
No, you didn't have to explain it to me. You simply had to explain yourself. Now what is so self-righteously indignant is believing that you can toss out such an open ended comment of provocation to others here and expect them to pull out some deeper meaningful value out of it.

However if that how these forums for dialogue are suppose to work than I can really see the "apathy meter towards democratic principles" shooting past the needle.

Now go figure out for yourself then how that comment is suppose to be interpreted.

Oh, you're right, describing the designation of a representative of a party in a riding in which you don't have an MP as "fascist" and characteristic of the "Nazis" is not a hysterical over-reaction. Its perfectly rational and completely accurate within a historical context.

Now go self-righteously nag someone else.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Oh, you're right, describing the designation of a representative of a party in a riding in which you don't have an MP as "fascist" and characteristic of the "Nazis" is not a hysterical over-reaction. Its perfectly rational and completely accurate within a historical context.

Now go self-righteously nag someone else.

Oh self righteous one, I have not defended anybody here on saying anything of the sort. Go quote me where I have or shut it with implying such an accusation on me.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

You're right. Using donations to set themselves up as their own lobby group certainly WILL raise their profile in ridings they don't have a sitting MP.

Its an abuse of power. If that's what they're doing, of course. Depends on the service.

Sorry I had to explain it to you.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007

It was on CBC Radios afternoon show which runs from 12:00-2:00 here in BC, both NDP MP Nathan Cullen from Skeena and Conservative MP Harris from the the Cariboo took part. It's Harris who's running the operation for Harper and he claims it's to give better service to the people of Skeena-Bulkly Valley who elected a Liberal to do that.

I'll look and see if I can find an online site featuring this story.

Here's a link to the program it was on, I can't find anything about todays stories though. I guess you can contact them for more information or MP Nathan Cullen.

http://www.cbc.ca/bcalmanac/index.html

edit-Just heard another clip from Cullen who is considering taking the matter to the federal ethics commisioner so this should get a higher profile.

Last edited: