A Bouncing Baby Adscam?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
tiptoe

through the rulebook...

Elections Canada contends that official agents acting for Conservative candidates claimed expenses for radio and TV advertising that they cannot prove were for the candidates, as required by the Elections Act. Instead, the agency's lawyer says Elections Canada inquiries suggest some expenses were for the national party. The Conservatives have taken the case to Federal Court and want an order setting aside chief electoral officer Marc Mayrand's decision to reject their expense claims.

The stakes in the legal dispute are potentially high. Unless the Tories can prove the expenses were legitimately incurred by their candidates, the payments could push the national Conservative campaign over its $18.3-million spending limit, in violation of the election financing law. The court challenge was brought by official agents who acted for at least 38 Conservative candidates...

The Conservative Party contends that it has followed the Canada Elections Act and that all advertising paid for by candidates carried "tag lines" indicating they were authorized by the official agents for the candidates.

The distinction is important because candidates are not allowed to claim advertising expenses they do not incur directly...

I'd think the Tories would've presented the proof instead of trundling off to court. They must've written it down somewhere. I guess they enjoy getting spanked in public.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
more of the kind of tactics and trickery used to beat the democratic process.
Canada has certainly gone downhill in its morality since Harper was...ummmm. elected? as PM of our formerly great nation.

We can be great again!! Jail the conservative criminals and let ordinary people run for office with fair election rules. That was the idea in the first place, eh?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I agree that if they broke the rules they should be ousted and jailed if need be. But to imply that the liberals are morally superior is ludricous. Adscam,anyone,40 million dollars of tax money disappeared,quebec ridings financed with our money. Not donated money from supporters,but tax dollars. Of course,not one quebec mp has ever admitted knowing anything,even though we know that Breault was delivering bags of cash to the ridings.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I have yet to see a decent explanation of how that commonly quoted amount of $40M is anything but urban myth. This latest adscam DOES involve taxpayer's money, btw, that being the compensation that Elections Canada is refusing to pay the riding associations.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I have yet to see a decent explanation of how that commonly quoted amount of $40M is anything but urban myth. This latest adscam DOES involve taxpayer's money, btw, that being the compensation that Elections Canada is refusing to pay the riding associations.
The forensic team that was looking through the books came up with $40 million figure. these are the same guys who investigated Enron. Urban myth,I guess if you think like Dion,Chretien,and Martin,3 of the last 4 liberal leaders from Quebec who never saw a thing wrong ,the whole thing is a myth. Graham,the only liberal leader over the last 15 years,not from Quebec, probably didn't see a thing either because he was too busy chasing 14 year-old boys.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This isn't about the Liberals, who are no longer the governing party. It's about the Conservatives who promised to clean up all this crap, and voila! I know people who voted for the Conservatives solely for the election and parliamentary reform issues.

Regardless, the Liberals are gone and we have a Conservative government, we should expect more, not less which is what we are basically saying when we : 'yah, but the Liberals....

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Old man bitters,it is in the gomery report.I agree,as you may notice by my earlier post,that if the conservatives are fudging,punish them. On a political thread that is denouncing the gov't as dishonest,I think it is acceptable to bring up the last set of thieves. You know ,the party that seems to be everyones fave.The conservatives did bring up a defence of this issue and it will be decided by the court. Innocent until proven guilty,sound familiar to anyone.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The forensic team that was looking through the books came up with $40 million figure. these are the same guys who investigated Enron. Urban myth,I guess if you think like Dion,Chretien,and Martin,3 of the last 4 liberal leaders from Quebec who never saw a thing wrong ,the whole thing is a myth. Graham,the only liberal leader over the last 15 years,not from Quebec, probably didn't see a thing either because he was too busy chasing 14 year-old boys.

Btw, Wally, was Graham ever found guilty of improper behavior with young boys?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
No,unfortunately he wasn't,even though a gay publication interviewed his 15 year old lover.Google the name lawrence metherel for more info. I really hope he does get busted now that he is out into the real world again.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
No,unfortunately he wasn't,even though a gay publication interviewed his 15 year old lover.Google the name lawrence metherel for more info. I really hope he does get busted now that he is out into the real world again.

So all you really have is some fifteen year old twerp who is interviewed by some free rag magazine. Graham has not added credibility to this weak, spurious, slander, with a comment. I don't blame him.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
OK,Mr.Bitwhys(is that better),I have found numerous references to the missing 40 million,but I don't think they would satisfy you as they are all from conservatives. Cbc in thier overview of the report quote Harper talking about the missing bucks and there is many references to it in Hansard. But,I want and I'm sure you do too,something from Gomery or Kroll on this. When I get it I will post it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did you google his name and read the reports?

I read what that free gay rag said. In my experience, a free magazine is worth what it cost. I'm sure this one is no different. This fifteen year old is being pushed by every Conservative around. I just don't believe him.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
you already named your source. it might be a good idea to use it.
I think calling you" old man bitters" is becoming more appropriate every time you post. I will find it hopefully,I have been wasting my time looking through the cbc reports. I have found an interesting report by the fraser institute on the scam that puts the missing monies at a much higher figure. Google "fraser institute gomery "to get the report. I will get back to you in a few days with either the facts or I will admit defeat. In the meantime maybe you can play with all the balls and frisbees that have landed in your yard and the kids are afraid to retrieve.