Toronto: A metaphor for a country in decline

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
A worthy read, IMO. Food for thought out out of the ToeStar...

Aug 14, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
Now that we've finished venting about councillors' refusal to cut their salaries, their perks and all the rest of that nonsense, let's all take a deep breath and remember who's to blame for the mess Toronto is in: we are.

That's right, it's us. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

We're the ones who vote – those of us who bother – for the Denzil Minnan-Wongs, the Dalton McGuintys, the Mike Harrises, the Stephen Harpers and the rest.

We're the ones who reward politicians who tell us the fantasies we want to hear, not the truths we need to hear. We're the ones who have made it impossible for leaders to talk about anything much more substantial than tax cuts.

Aided and abetted by the media, we ask the wrong questions and get angry when we don't hear the wrong answers.

We're the ones who vote for the Mel Lastmans and the David Millers because they promise they won't raise taxes. Then when the spit finally hits the fan, we turn around and scream bloody murder.

Democracy boasts many virtues, but it also has serious weaknesses, including the fact that it allows citizens to vote thoughtlessly and without regard to reality. Indeed, look at who gets elected to see just how irrational, even moronic, the process has become. How else does a George W. Bush end up the most powerful person on Earth?

One of the truths the politicians would like us to forget is that you get what you pay for. Civilization costs money. If the city's going to remove snow, pick up garbage, pay the province's social services bill, fill potholes and so on, it must be able to cover these costs.

Instead of voting for councillors who promise we can remain forever in dreamland, where taxes never go up and roads are free, we should think first and ask whether they are able to do the opposite, i.e., insist we return to the real world. It, of course, is not such a nice place.

Toronto, like all of Canada, is based largely on myths that border on lies. We like to think that the city is among the greatest and the country a respected world citizen. We may be a middling power, but always sensible and responsible.

In fact, we grow increasingly irrelevant. And although Canada still ranks among the most desirable places on the planet, by any measure – productivity, innovation, wealth creation, education, environmental integrity, tolerance – we are slipping. This was confirmed most recently by the Conference Board of Canada in a massive three-volume report that took three years to prepare.

Like all Canadian cities, Toronto is chronically and systemically underfunded. This is built into the very governance structure of the nation, which undervalues urban centres. We have set it up that way.

Toronto isn't just Canada's largest and most important city; it has become a metaphor for a country in decline. Our administratively burdened federation has reached a point of fragmentation where the premiers fail miserably when it comes to dealing with the most urgent issue facing us and the rest of the planet: global warming. This isn't just worrisome, it's immoral.

Because they fear reality, Canadians are terrified of change. The idea of reducing the role of the provinces and empowering cities isn't taken seriously. Yet it's something that must happen if we are to achieve the nimbleness we need to keep up with the wholesale transformation of Asia and Europe.

Instead, we grow slow and complacent, content to rely on resource exploitation rather than the value-added approach of leading economies.

In the meantime, we continue to demand European-style public services on American-level taxes.
As we Torontonians are finding out, it doesn't work that way.

As a point of interest…

factor out public spending on health in both countries (refereneamazingly close proportionally, btw) and factor in what should be getting raised to cover the US budget deficit and Canada only collects roughly a 3.5% cut of GDP more than our good friends to the South.

I think we as Canadians, so to speak, should keep that in mind next time we’re asked to pick our poison.

Reactions: Zzarchov

Toro

Senate Member
I think Hume makes a great point about deluding ourselves, but I'm not convinced Canada is in decline. Relative decline, yes, but that's because other countries are rising. And that's a good thing.

And sure, Canada has problems - i.e. low productivity - but all countries have problems.

Of course, many, many Torontonians equate Toronto with Canada. So from their myopic and narcissistic point of view, it is easy to understand their confusion. However, Yonge and St. Clair is not "northern Canada," and I'm sure the people of Western Canada think otherwise, so the conclusion may be a bit premature.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I think Hume makes a great point about deluding ourselves, but I'm not convinced Canada is in decline. Relative decline, yes, but that's because other countries are rising. And that's a good thing...

We're doing alright. Both extremes rely on crisis for momentum so in the long run and for the most part the rhetoric balances out politicially.

He's talking about the TO tax flap which over the last few weeks has gone from ragging on the mayor for trying to raise taxes to deal with the deficit to ragging on the mayor for trying to cut services to deal with the deficit. Not too much a stretch to offer it up as a model for the bigger picture.

You couldn't pay me enough to put up with that ****.

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
Toronto is not Canada.

We do pay more than enough taxes (municipal, federal and provincial) to pay for the services we need and want. The problem (and he makes the point in the article) is the politicians. They create the priorities.... they pay off their buddies.... they hire their girlfriends.... they spend our $$'s on utter crap trying to buy votes from Quebec. It's all about priorities.... and this country's are all wrong!!

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto is not Canada.

We do pay more than enough taxes (municipal, federal and provincial) to pay for the services we need and want. The problem (and he makes the point in the article) is the politicians. They create the priorities.... they pay off their buddies.... they hire their girlfriends.... they spend our $$'s on utter crap trying to buy votes from Quebec. It's all about priorities.... and this country's are all wrong!!

heh

talk about making Hume's case for him. :lol:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I'd really have to agree with the sentiment of this post.

People talk about corruption, but corruption is just a cost of doing business. Sure cut down when you can, but don't spend $10,000 to stop $1,000 of corruption.

You ever help a friend get a job? Its one of the ways I got my first job. So my friend the floor sweeper was corrupt and involved in nepotism from that "massive" amount of power, to set me up.

When you get to large governments, sad as it is to be a realist, you have to count on a certain level of corruption as a cost of doing business. How many people have made personal calls at work? Used the photocopier and its paper for personal items (invitations perhaps).

In Britain they did a survey and found the average citizen broke the law (in small ways) constantly. Tax evasion (VAT they call it, paying under the table near as i can figure), office supplies, showing up late but clocking in on time, long lunches, speeding (when was the last time you saw someone doing 100kph on a 400 series highway?).

I mean, thats the kind of corruption that takes place without power, throw in the fate of a nation and administer it with regular people (you know, the corrupt kind) and its impossible not to have massive amounts of corruption.

So Hume's still right, low taxes or high services.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It would interesting to see a complete outsider ( a la the movie 'Dave') go through the books of that town. You could even make it an assignment for another city's college accounting class. Go through Toronto's financial papers and sort it out properly with disaffection.

They try to market themselves as 'world-class', whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. Panhandlers killing a guy, no rail link to the nation's largest airport, filthy streets. With a left-wing mob running the student council there, you'd think it would be peace and love, man.