Canada's military procurements

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Procurement Article Index : Current 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006

Canada Rearms for Peace

July 5, 2006: Canada, which has cut corners on military procurement for over a decade, is now spending over $15 billion to improve its transportation and logistical capabilities. Most of the new money will go to replacing aging transport helicopters, and buying two logistical support ships, 21 transport aircraft and 2,300 trucks. Canada's defense spending, like everyone else's, shrunk after the Cold War ended in 1991. For Canada, their lowest annual defense budget was $8.4 billion in 1998. Per capita, that was less than a third of what the United States was spending. At that point, spending began to increase in the face of a growing number of media stories on how Canadian troops were struggling with worn out, inoperable or unavailable weapons and equipment. The new government, elected last January, got into office partially on its pledge to finally address all the material shortcomings in the military. Canada's current defense budget is $18.4 billion. This is still less than half of what the United States spends, per capita. But during the Cold War, Canada deferred to the United States in most defense matters, including dealing with nuclear weapons threats, and protecting North America from foreign attack. While Canada outspent the United States, per capita, during both World Wars, this was reversed after World War II, when America became the main participant in containing the Soviet Union.

While Canada has no military threats at home, it is an active contributor to peacekeeping missions. This sort of thing requires a lot of logistics. You've got to move the peacekeeping troops to distant locations, and then supply them. To date, Canada has been relying a lot on leased civilian transport. But this has caused some problems (of control and reliability). Giving the military more transport resources solves this problem.

http://tinyurl.com/yu5zjt

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
At last count we were getting 5 C-17 heavy lift transport aircraft, 16 new Hercules transport aircraft, two large transport ships, and 2300 trucks. About 15 billion dollars worth of military transport.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Sweet, hopefully the delivery is around the time when I'm applying to the RCAF.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
In a "you gotta do what you gotta do" sort of way I don't mind the gizmos all that much but its that sorry excuse for a Defense Minister we're stuck with that spoils it for me. I hope he's better with a spreadsheet than he is with the truth.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Is there some doubt that when a Liberal government regains control that this will be discontinued? Already we are looking at an economic downturn, one that I predicted with the change in government, and won't that be the likely scapegoat? If history has a story to tell that is.

We should make a choice one way or the other. To be a military power or not. This hedging seems to get soldiers committed to fighting but the job of equiping them with the right tools for the job always falls short in favour of some other wants and desires at the whim of the Johnny Come Lately government.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Don't mess with Canada...we'll whack you with our logistics!

Seriously, the investment is a wise one whether we pull from Afghanistan or not.

The logistics are useful in disaster situations like Manitoba floods, BC avalanches (or 2" of snow), Quebec ice storms, or Toronto snowstorms (greater than 12" of snow).

Muz

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Also in that list, there will be 18 or 20 heavy lift helicopters.....probably Boeing Chinooks and a dozen or so S and R helicopters that I think they've already purchased.

As someone said, even without war we need the capability of moving our forces around for more mundane causes like floods and other disasters.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Also in that list, there will be 18 or 20 heavy lift helicopters.....probably Boeing Chinooks and a dozen or so S and R helicopters that I think they've already purchased.

As someone said, even without war we need the capability of moving our forces around for more mundane causes like floods and other disasters.

So, Juan, does this mean the Conservative Party can depend on your support in the next election?:razz:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
So, Juan, does this mean the Conservative Party can depend on your support in the next election?:razz:

Not quite. Any moron/even Harper could see that this procurement is an absolute necessity and I applaud Harper for at least getting the ball rolling. While I have been a Liberal supporter, letting our military slip this far was a God-awful blunder that Chretien should have been shot for. The Conservatives are waffling over a couple aspects of this procurement but I hope they just get the damn equipment ordered. Our spending on the military even after this procurement is much lower than any other country in the G-8. If I had my druthers I would double this order and start pushing for nuclear subs

Last edited: