Canada and USA/ more internally different than externally

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
People always talk about how Canada and the U.S. are so different; about what we don't have in common. Then, occasionally, we talk about the similarities. But hasn't anyone ever noticed this: some regional differences within one country look more evident than differences between the two countries?

For example, I live in Vallejo, California, a suburb of San Francisco. I frequently go to the Vancouver area. I don't actually feel like a foreigner for a number of reasons:

1) ethnic makeup: I am Asian, Filipino to be exact, but I have passed for both Chinese and East Indian before, so I fit in very well - plus, except for some subtle differences, people from the two regions don't talk very differently (my accent would stick out way more in parts of Texas than in Vancouver)

2) cultural attitude: Vancouver and San Francisco are both known to be relatively tolerant, yet relatively progressive, compared to the rest of North America

3) climate: we're both known for summers that aren't too hot and winters that aren't too cold

On that note, I have been to Detroit and Miami, both of which feel more foreign than Vancouver does, regardless of what the passport says. For one thing, neither region has a lot of Asians (Detroit - mostly black American, Miami - largely Caribbean and Latin American). The general attitudes/ways of life are also quite different, and so is the weather (Detroit has 4 distinct seasons, including freezing winters, while Miami is subtropical, rarely falling below 20 deg C).

I'll be that if you make similar comparisons between Vancouver and places like Winnipeg, Quebec City, or Nfld, you will find that Vancouver has more in common with Seattle and San Francisco.

So, are our countries really that different? Despite all our bickering between the two of us, we seem to have more internal regional differences than differences between the two of us.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You have a point. But Vancouver is a culturally diverse city. Much like Toronto in that aspect, and being where it is and what it is, it's an easy jump to think that people of similar cities along the West Coast can find parallels.

When you get right down to it, we two countries really have a lot more in common than not. Compared to places over seas, we can find the similarities glaring almost. But as is common in our culture, familiarity breeds contempt. And so we find the mainutia to bicker over while we take a break from the few real differences between us.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
The Americans re-elected Bush...we Canadians didn't.

Muz

People always talk about how Canada and the U.S. are so different; about what we don't have in common. Then, occasionally, we talk about the similarities. But hasn't anyone ever noticed this: some regional differences within one country look more evident than differences between the two countries?

For example, I live in Vallejo, California, a suburb of San Francisco. I frequently go to the Vancouver area. I don't actually feel like a foreigner for a number of reasons:

1) ethnic makeup: I am Asian, Filipino to be exact, but I have passed for both Chinese and East Indian before, so I fit in very well - plus, except for some subtle differences, people from the two regions don't talk very differently (my accent would stick out way more in parts of Texas than in Vancouver)

2) cultural attitude: Vancouver and San Francisco are both known to be relatively tolerant, yet relatively progressive, compared to the rest of North America

3) climate: we're both known for summers that aren't too hot and winters that aren't too cold

On that note, I have been to Detroit and Miami, both of which feel more foreign than Vancouver does, regardless of what the passport says. For one thing, neither region has a lot of Asians (Detroit - mostly black American, Miami - largely Caribbean and Latin American). The general attitudes/ways of life are also quite different, and so is the weather (Detroit has 4 distinct seasons, including freezing winters, while Miami is subtropical, rarely falling below 20 deg C).

I'll be that if you make similar comparisons between Vancouver and places like Winnipeg, Quebec City, or Nfld, you will find that Vancouver has more in common with Seattle and San Francisco.

So, are our countries really that different? Despite all our bickering between the two of us, we seem to have more internal regional differences than differences between the two of us.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
As someone who's travelled extensively throughout the US I can only say that our way of life is very similar to the northern states (Illinois, New York, Vermont). The south is more relaxed. One issue in which we are obviously different (at least the city I'm living in here in Canada vs the rest of the US) is CUSTOMER SERVICE. I've never ever had a problem with customer service while shopping throughout the US. Here, I have the impression that at times the sales people forget who's the customer and they really don't give a hoot if they lose my business (which has happened countless times). That's a key reason why many of us travel across the border to do our shopping.

Last edited:

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
The only difference that really matters is the difference in national identity. These small cultural differences are well and good for a laugh or two, and yes, a lot of things things seem the same or similar. However, Canada is a different country than the US with a different history and most importantly, a different national identity which encompasses a sleuth of governmental affairs, traditions and the like. And just like every other country, we have regional differences as well.

It might seem that you fit in better in Van than in Miami, but in truth you share something much more important with the people in Detroit than you do with the people in Vancouver, and that's the fact that you're both Americans with all the same cultural references, indoctrinations, and national identity/pride.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
There are more elderly in Canada than anywhere else in the world. Hence the move by our government to secure the arctic...we're going to need some place to put all these decaying people....

The United States is fortunate enough to have large expanses of desert where once some young developer has made his fortune by re-routing water sheds and irrigating wasteland....the fabulously wealthy can move into this artificial environment and when they die they can be simply bulldozed into the ground to clear way for the next development..

The difference is that Canada has ice floes and the U.S. doesn't.