Canada being ignored by the US?

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
One thing I frequently hear Canadians complain about is how the U.S. pays little attention to them. I myself live in California, and it does amaze me how little many Americans know about the rest of the world. When I talk to others, I always make sure to enlighten them about what else is out there, with Canada and the Philippines being the countries I quote the most (I am Filipino). I'm in Canada frequently.

However, I have to admit that even if the American public starts paying more attention to the rest of the world, I still don't know how much of it would go to Canada. Being in California myself, I'm more concerned about the other border. I'm sure a number of you have been down here before, so I probably don't have to explain much to you. I've worked in classrooms in which everybody is Latino, or even all Mexican. You can go to a Burger King or a Wal Mart and be a minority among Mexicans. California is a prime example of this, but it's not limited to here.

Estimates say that we have 6-12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. One financial firm back in 2004 estimated 20 million. I would not be silly to say that it's probably more. Illegal immigrants cross the Mexican border by the thousands PER DAY! Most are Mexican, but not all. Most of the non-Mexicans come from other Latin American countries, and very few come from Canada or across the oceans. Then they have children who are U.S. born citizens, but some consider them part of the illegal immigrant population. By now, if you take the population of undocumented migrants and their U.S. born children, you have a population that's LARGER THAN CANADA'S CURRENT 32 MILLION!

It's not just the Mexican border that gets crossed like crazy! South Florida is known to be a receiving grounds for Cuban and Haitian boat refugees by the thousands every year (if not more frequently than that).

Then you have the other world powers.

You may say that the U.S. is like the big kid that doesn't notice Canada paying attention to it. True. Don't forget, though, that there's other kids that are even bigger than Canada that are tugging at the U.S. even stronger! Namely rival powers and the other neighbours.

Face it, it's more like Canada is trying to whisper in the U.S.'s ear, while Mexico is shouting into the other. Other countries are shouting loud in the distance, too.

Someday, the U.S. may stop ignoring the rest of the world. However, once it does, Canada will have to take a number. Unless you want to start sending thousands of illegal immigrants across the Canada/U.S. border per day, or start building nuclear weapons. Then you'll definitely get the U.S. paying attention to you. And why would you do either?

When I was in Toronto, I met a guy from Washington DC who said "no, you don't want the U.S. to pay attention to you, they'll pick a fight." Think about that.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Americans generally don't pay much attention to Canada and to the rest of the world unless they have a problem (war) or a financial opportunity (oil) with them.
One of the indication America is sometimes described as being an insular country is the low ownership or passports, and thus the low rate of international travel.
As a comparison, 42% of Canadians over 20 years old have a passport while only 18% of American have one.
A National Geographic Society survey said that nearly half of American youngsters couldn't pinpoint France, Germany or the UK on a map.
How can someone be somewhat knowledgeable and interested in the outside world while all he knows is the boundaries of his own state.

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The implication here is that "seeing the world" is necessary. Ive never been out of North America. Does that make me insular? or does that mean I have everything I need right here?

No it means that bananas don't come from Pennsylvania, it means that Pineapples don't come from Hawaii, it means that the many things you consume as you feed and as you make your way through life....comes from somewhere other than the continental United States.

Believe me , its out there....

The rest of the world that is....

Ask a serviceman coming back from Iraq how the weather is in Vermont.....

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
The implication here is that "seeing the world" is necessary. Does that make me insular?
In my opinion, yes.
Reading or watching TV about a foreign country, it's inhabitants, it's culture, it's way of life, and be part of it by being there (outside the tourist traps) would give you a totally different perspective on things.
I've never been out of North America
Don't be sad about that.
I've met a woman a few weeks ago in Newport, Vt (a restaurant owner in her mid 40's) who told me she never came to Canada, although the Canadian border is about 6 miles from her place. What a shame.
I regularly follow a Recreational vehicle discussion forum where I have seen Americans ask very surprising questions about Canada, although most members are either retired and not poor (owning RV's worth well over 100,000$)
* Can we find diesel fuel in Canada?
* Where do people buy food in Canada, Are there any groceries?
* Should I bring a few spare gasoline cans in my truck as I've been told it is hard to find gasoline in Canada?
* What sort of electricity is available in Canada? My equipment runs on 110Volts and I'm wondering if it is available in Canada?
No kidding.

or does that mean I have everything I need right here?
That's for you to decide, but let me tell you the world does not ends at the U.S. border and there are things out there you can simply not imagine.

triedit

inimitable
Jack--those are fairly valid questions when going to another country. Especially since Canada is still tied to England and they DO have different plugs. But the point is, when they needed to know, they asked. What if most people just don't need to know?

What if we don't care where bananas come from so long as we have bananas? What if we don't care if our electronics are made in China and they have a hugely different culture? Does that mean we need to know about thier culture simply because we buy a tv?

If one chooses to care about human rights, human suffering, and culture, that information is widely available and travelling is one option. But what if you just spend your life getting through one day at a time and loving your family and neighborhood? Does that make you less of a person?

If so, it would seem that the goal should be making "americans" WANT to look outside the border. To create a need like that you're first going to have to convince them there is something out there that they don't have already. Tough goal.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
My god what's next week's agenda???

Last week the U.S. was going to attack Canada according to some berk....

Now they are ignoring Canada????

What would be a happy medium? Birthday cakes or a love in at the 49th?

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
But what if you just spend your life getting through one day at a time and loving your family and neighborhood? Does that make you less of a person?
No it does not make you less of a person, but sure make a dull and insipid life though.
first going to have to convince them there is first going to have to convince them there is something out there that they don't have already

Most of the ""something" you are referring to can be purchased with money.

There are "things" out there you can't buy and you can't have, you can't know, you can't feel without being there.

How about Penny Lane in Liverpool, The Beatles, you know????
The Roman ruins in Rome and everywhere in Europe,
The sound of the Tyrol music in Austria
The Berlin wall in Germany....you can't know the feeling of touching it
You will never know what the Machu Picchu is before you sit up there for hours and try to understand.
You'll never know what really Cuba is before you sit down with some locals and discuss life, politics, hopes, work, joys and sorrows.
You will never know what Tuscany smells in the spring,
You will never realize how high it is to sit on a camel in north Africa until you do it by yourself.
You will never be in awe during hours before the beauties of Seville, Paris, St. Petersburg, the Greek islands, the Algarve in Portugal, the Alhambra in Spain, the icebergs in Newfoundland or the emarald blue waters of the Canadian Rockies.

Have a nice life

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey California girl..:)

If I'm not mistaken, this discussion is taking place on a Canadian website named Canadian Content and through the miracle of modern electronics everyone from all over the world can participate.

Conversation and argument involves different perspectives at diferent times....

When Canadians tune in to watch Hockey Night In Canada....I believe there are teams from all over the place playing each other... when international hockey games are played there are teams from all over the world....

When you watch Tiger Woods or Mike Weir playing golf in Scotland.....

To imagine that the world ends at the nations border where you live...is your choice.

One could reasonably say that you're out of touch with reality but that's your choice in the face of enormous evidence that something does exist outside of America...or Canada or China or anywhere else for that matter.

To suggest on one hand that Canadians ought not criticize America and then offer the opinion that Americans don't care what Canada and Canadians "think".....

We're all in this together but if you decide that the world is flat and does end at the border of your nation....you can do that.....

triedit

inimitable
I think Americans are aware of all that is "out there". They just don't need it. They arent forever looking for something just that little bit better or different. There's a contentment.

Jack--of all the things you listed there isn't one I feel compelled to personally visit. There is a lifetime of adventure right here. I don't think it's BAD to want to see the world and experience all of it. I just don't think its NECESSARY. And I don't think that choosing to live the aspects of one's life in one's home country makes them a bad person. Ignorance of something unneccessary isnt actually a bad thing.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Then why the hell don't you Americans keep your military and your hipocrisy at home where you can celebrate your uniqueness in the world?

Why does America have more troops stationed in more places on this planet than any other five nations put together?

Why is the Neo-Con chant of "America is Israel and Israel and America not convincing enough to have Israeli troops in Afghanistan and Iraq?

Be careful that your finely sculpted notions of America don't come tumbling down around your ears.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mikey

What is it you are saying?

My whole town is a microcosm of people from all parts of the world who chose to live here...

Were you up at 4am to see the first tee off at Carnoustie? I was.

I follow Canadian Hockey too - because my family quiz me on it.

I am as aware of the world affairs as y ou claim to be - or as Canadians are as you claim to be -

Where I live has nothing to do with my keen interest on international events.

What I don't get is the weekly bash going on..... it is beneath Canadians to bother doing it.

You have nothing to bash about..... many people in our world would give their lives to live in Canada.
Why spend inordinate amounts of posts on the U.S.

As you write it is a Canadian forum generated by Canadians that is why I join these places to find out things happening in Canada.....not the U.S.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Jackd

Kind of makes you wonder why there's efforts being made to build an international space station doesn't it?

"We don't have to pay any attention to anything that's happening in the world because America has it all."

Swell...get the hell out of my country with your petroleum czars and your passport rules, take your damn gunboats off the great lakes, ....etc. etc.

I'm amazed that so provincial an idea as this presented by Triedit seems credible to anyone!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Curio

I'm amazed that you can read the history of the world after 1776 and pretend to yourself that the world need not examine the effects that America has had on that world.

Certainly the same thing is true of Russia or Germany or Japan or several other nations, but hey get out your geography book and find out what two nations in North America are closest neighbors...

After you've determined that, pick a year..... then look at the news and international climate of the world and the world's major nations all over this planet and tell me how often you run across mention of the United States.

A once proud nation that crafted a great document, The Constitution of the United States. A document that's become tainted through behaviors that began when money wealth and prosperity took over the thinking of a nation.

I'm critical of the United States and I'm critical of Canada too.

I know that my being a Canadian doesn't prevent you from helping me when you could....I can only ask you to believe that I'd help you if I could, whether your a Canadian an American or for that matter Iraqi Iranian or Chinese....

I am a human being. The United States has spend more money and more effort on imposing their vision of the "correct-world"...a world that marches to an American drummer than any other nation on the face of this planet.

When you pick an era to examine, make a list of the nations affected by the machinations of America.

Do the same thing for Canada if you like.

The point is that I believe a good friend has a responsibility to tell you when you're wrong.