A talk with the boy

triedit

inimitable
Today we happened upon a couple of overpasses over the 401 that were crowded with people, police, and rescue personnel. Initially we thought there was some tragedy, but then discovered it was at every overpass.

Finally hubby stopped and asked someone what was going on.

The bodies of the 6 slain soldiers were coming home. People came out in droves to pay homage.

We were left with the difficult task of answering a 6 year old boy's question...

Who killed them and why?

We told him there were bad people and the bad people killed them. That soldiers go and try to kill bad people and the bad people try to kill the soldiers. That lots of people on both "teams" get killed and that they are forever dead, they don't come back like on tv or video games. We talked a bit about how not just anybody is allowed to kill. Soldiers are allowed to kill the bad guys. Police are allowed to kill bad guys if they won't go to jail. "Regular people" don't get to kill anybody.

So he said he wanted to be a soldier.

Then he said he wanted to be the strong man in the circus.

Thank God that conversation was over.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think I saw that as I was using the Dixon Road exit. This was around 11am or so. Is that the same time-frame, Robin, or was I looking at something else?:-(

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Today we happened upon a couple of overpasses over the 401 that were crowded with people, police, and rescue personnel. Initially we thought there was some tragedy, but then discovered it was at every overpass.

Finally hubby stopped and asked someone what was going on.

The bodies of the 6 slain soldiers were coming home. People came out in droves to pay homage.

We were left with the difficult task of answering a 6 year old boy's question...

Who killed them and why?

We told him there were bad people and the bad people killed them. That soldiers go and try to kill bad people and the bad people try to kill the soldiers. That lots of people on both "teams" get killed and that they are forever dead, they don't come back like on tv or video games. We talked a bit about how not just anybody is allowed to kill. Soldiers are allowed to kill the bad guys. Police are allowed to kill bad guys if they won't go to jail. "Regular people" don't get to kill anybody.

So he said he wanted to be a soldier.

Then he said he wanted to be the strong man in the circus.

Thank God that conversation was over.

:roll:..You should have told him the truth.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
That being what, in language a 6 year old can comprehend....

ummmm....`well junior...just like where mommy is from, good men are dying in a foreign land for no good reason cept here we don`t sneak em back home under cover of darkness.`

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Triedit

I am so sorry you had to go through that - I'm exposed to it being near military bases here - but it still gives me the deep gut sick feeling like what are we doing in this mess and with all the advances humans have made....we still resort to killing each other as some sort of demented solution....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is complicated by the fact he is learning that everything he sees on TV is a story and not true and every video game is not real. He hasn't quite got the concept that you don't have another life after you die which you do in the games.

triedit

inimitable
Thanks, Doll. My first husband was USMC active duty for the whole time we lived together. I still have friends who are deployed now, some just back. Folks I knew from the first gulf war now have kids going over. It affects me every day.

But the boy doesnt need to be exposed to the politics of war just yet. Hell I don't even understand it, how could I possibly explain it to him? What I was going for was just enough nobility to instill pride and just enough truth to bring a twinge of pain and doubt.

Living near a military base is amazing. I lived on base for many years then just outside it for a few more. Military families are incredibly strong. And those that don't work in the end have truly been tested in ways civilians can't even imagine. I gave up trying to explain it to anyone.