Why canadians are proud of their country?

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
I can understand why americans are proud of their nations, but i was talking about it the other day with a rellative, what is seriously the point of being a canadian-loyalist to the queen?

I really tried to understand why canadians should be proud of their country, but withouth succes, please help.

I am not bithing or whatever, just trying to understand.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I can understand why americans are proud of their nations, but i was talking about it the other day with a rellative, what is seriously the point of being a canadian-loyalist to the queen?

I really tried to understand why canadians should be proud of their country, but withouth succes, please help.

How about having the highest quality of life in the world for around a decade, and still hanging around near the top of the list. How about Canadians' history of winning wars and fighting for freedom? What about actually HAVING freedoms? You are comparing Canada and the US; apples and oranges. One is a two-party state which has a government which brainwashes them into thinking they're free while we still have a free democration nation.

Where are you going with this Logic?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
If you don't get it, no one is forcing you to stay here. Don't let the screen door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Go someplace else, come back. Words are no longer needed to explain the pride.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If you don't already know, nobody can tell you.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think we have just made our 'first' enemy in this world, and it's the taliban, 'who cares', who needs
friends like that anyway.

I AM CANADIAN, I am proud, I want everyone to know that. Our pride is a quiet pride, we don't
have to shout it out all over the place. They seem to have to do that south of us, maybe they are
trying to convince themselves.

Reactions: Dreadful Nonsense

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Just because you are a repblican not a believer in constitutional monarchies, you aren't proud to be Canadian? Well leave then. Just a few miles away is a country very similiar to us that is a republic. Don't let the border crossing gate hit you in the head when you cross over.

The Queen as a head of state is purely as a figurehead. It gives us continuity of goverment. We flip ruling parties every few years and all they do is blame the previous gov and say things will be different. A few years alter, flip and same speech writers dig out old speech. We have a govermental system that has evolved not been imposed from war. Ancient Rome was a failed republi. France is constantly suffering from strikes and boycotts. The USA is currently ran by a war mongering fundamentalist Christian. Many Canadians live in other countries. Why not just think of the Queen as a Canadian?

With one of the worl's highest standards of living, longevity, healthcare and education what is not to be proud of. We don't start wars, we finish them. During WW II we had the 3rd largest navy in the world, our own beach on D-day and our own bomber group in the strategic air war against Nazi Germany. Our inventions in medicine have saved millions of lives.

Why am I going on about this. If you can't see how great of a country you live in due to some fixation on our form of democratic responsible goverment, then GO GET OUT. Go live under George Bush's rule. Good riddance.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I doubt it's much of a shocker that people are proud of the nation they identify themselves with. All criticisms aside, my metaphorical heart still swells for my country, and at some times the real ticker does too.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
How about having the highest quality of life in the world for around a decade, and still hanging around near the top of the list. How about Canadians' history of winning wars and fighting for freedom? What about actually HAVING freedoms? You are comparing Canada and the US; apples and oranges. One is a two-party state which has a government which brainwashes them into thinking they're free while we still have a free democration nation.

Where are you going with this Logic?

Canadian history of winning wars,what do you mean? withouth the united states canada would have lost them all, that is just a fact.

Let's get real in here, canada doesnt have more a free democratic nation than usa, it is completly the opposite, i hope you understand that.

Still being a loyalist to the queen, to me there is nothing to be proud of this, at least the Americans got rid of her.Giving 0.8% of your taxe income to the queen , is a total insult.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

America sucks.

Canada rocks.

That's all you ever need to know when you live in Canada.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Look at how Microsoft recently described Vancouver.."its reputation as global gateway, its diverse population, solid infrastructure and high quality of life." They didn't seem to give a frig if it had ties to the Queen, only that when the rubber hit the road it's about as good as it gets.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I'm not big on monarchries....The whole Dianna fairytale wedding turned into her hubby wanting to be someone's tampon...Back when the wedding was happening I learned to keep shut about my opinion, everyone it seemed was gaga over them...

The whole :puke: "Whats wrong with a bit of fairytale in our life"..:roll:

How they pull off this absurd need, i dunno....
but hey we did dump her no?
I mean she's just some really old looking thing on our money to appease some hanger oners...no?...yes?

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Canadian history of winning wars,what do you mean? withouth the united states canada would have lost them all, that is just a fact.

Let's get real in here, canada doesnt have more a free democratic nation than usa, it is completly the opposite, i hope you understand that.

Still being a loyalist to the queen, to me there is nothing to be proud of this, at least the Americans got rid of her.Giving 0.8% of your taxe income to the queen , is a total insult.

The U.S., technically, is a nation of (mostly)traitors. Some 230 years later, people do not view it as such but it is still a fact. Not to mention that had this little civil war occured elsewhere in the world today, U.S. of the 21st century would have derided the confederates as insurgents and wiped their butts all over the place. (or rather, tried to).

As for Canada being a constitutional monarchy... the continuity factor along with a recognition of our country's roots are precisely the reasons I like it. To have a constant recognition of our roots as a country is a good thing... ask any Yank and invariably they will applaud the roots of their country. I do the same for mine.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
The U.S., technically, is a nation of (mostly)traitors. Some 230 years later, people do not view it as such but it is still a fact. Not to mention that had this little civil war occured elsewhere in the world today, U.S. of the 21st century would have derided the confederates as insurgents and wiped their butts all over the place. (or rather, tried to).

As for Canada being a constitutional monarchy... the continuity factor along with a recognition of our country's roots are precisely the reasons I like it. To have a constant recognition of our roots as a country is a good thing... ask any Yank and invariably they will applaud the roots of their country. I do the same for mine.

Traitors? Giving money to the queen, is to me a traitor.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Traitors, yes. They overthrew the ruling government of the day. On second thought... maybe they should revisit that concept again. Hmmmm

Honestly though, I could care less about a few dollars being sent over to the queen. Considering the waste we have over here as it is, the .8% amounts to very little in the grand scheme of things. Besides, I'd rather see her get some money than some dip**** "image advisor" of Stevie Harper's.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Traitors, yes. They overthrew the ruling government of the day. On second thought... maybe they should revisit that concept again. Hmmmm

Honestly though, I could care less about a few dollars being sent over to the queen. Considering the waste we have over here as it is, the .8% amounts to very little in the grand scheme of things. Besides, I'd rather see her get some money than some dip**** "image advisor" of Stevie Harper's.

I don't believe we send any money to the Queen. We just fund her representitive (the Govener General).

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
I wasn't aware that we sent money to the queen directly but was simply taking the statement as truth. I knew we funded the GG and have no problem with that. /shrug