Harper's hissy fit finally begins

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
:lol::lol::lol:

on the international stage, no less.

PM to N.S.: Take us to court over equalization
...Harper insisted Ottawa was still honouring the Atlantic Accord and said the federal government was willing "consult the courts" to prove it...

The bill has 18 paragraph's worth of unilateral amendments and Steve thinks he can prove it doesn't change anything.
:canada:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Like the premier said as well, cost tax payers more money for a blatant lie. Stubborn fool the PM is. The house leader today was crying foul that the opposition parties were stalling the budget implementation bill, quite the fairy tale 'twas.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...The house leader today was crying foul that the opposition parties were stalling the budget implementation bill, quite the fairy tale 'twas.

It gets better. Even though the vote for it has been pencilled in for Thursday for weeks now last Friday the government whip tried to force the bill to a vote in literally the final hour (when most everybody is already trying to catch a flight back to either their homes or, surprisingly, their riding offices) citing Standing Order 52, which has something to do with national emergencies. Turns out the opposition not allowing it merits tossing that little nugget around this week.

and they call it democracy.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
N.L. and N.S. both have the option of following the original accord until it expires some ten years from now.The selfish b#%$#ds want a deal in perpetuity. They have been supported by the "have" provinces for years,but now that they are getting a few bucks of thier own,they want it all. This is akin to a woman working 2 jobs for 7 years to put her hubby through medical school. Then when hubby graduates and starts making a good buck,she figures she can relax,maybe spend some money on herself,or even quit the 2nd job.But hubby says no,the big bucks are all mine,you continue supporting the family. It is not right.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
N.L. and N.S. both have the option of following the original accord until it expires some ten years from now...

bullsh!t. the budget makes 18 paragraphs worth of unilateral amendments to the accord.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
The 18 paragraphs pertain to the conclusion of the agreement in the year 2020. The maritimers are being ungrateful to the rest of Canada, They are being selfish and basically are being fed BS from thier premiers.They have been told over and over that the agreement will stay the same for 12 years,I hope they aren't so obtuse that they believe everything they hear until the facts are checked. Like some.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Oh come on BitWhys. What's a broken promise between fellow Conservatives?

I also think MacKay said it best about a month earlier with, “We will not throw a member out of caucus for voting his conscience. There will be no whipping, flipping, hiring or firing on budget votes as we saw with the Liberal government.”

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
You know,I used to believe the newfies were a proud strong people.Now after so many years of suckling on the gov't teat,they finally have the resources to stand on thier own two feet.But no,they do not want to be weaned,they are afraid. 12 more years of suckling is not enough. Well.waaah,you big babies,you are just like Quebec,but without the fine food or woman.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
The 18 paragraphs pertain to the conclusion of the agreement in the year 2020. The maritimers are being ungrateful to the rest of Canada, They are being selfish and basically are being fed BS from thier premiers.They have been told over and over that the agreement will stay the same for 12 years,I hope they aren't so obtuse that they believe everything they hear until the facts are checked. Like some.

more bullsh!t. The amendments apply as soon as they opt to CONTINUE recieving fiscal equalization payments.

86. (1) Sections 80, 81 and 84 come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council, but the day that is fixed must not be before the day on which Newfoundland and Labrador makes the election under subsection 3.7(3) of the Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act, as enacted by section 64 of this Act.

(2) Section 83 comes into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council, but the day that is fixed must not be before the day on which Nova Scotia makes the election under subsection 3.7(3) of the Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act, as enacted by section 64 of this Act.
"as enacted" clarifies the new equalization formula and only the new equalization formula can be applied. The Accord was meant to keep resources out of the formula, not replace it.

Do you really believe everything Flaherty spews or do you just take pride in being able to repeat it?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I do not believe or repeat everything that he or any pol says. However,I do often repeat thier words without the spin,distortion,and in context. Unfortunately,I cannot comment on section 86 without seeing section 64. After todays budget vote,the CBC,our extremely biased national news,reported the deal was exactly as I say,both options were included. It seems the premiers of N.S. and NF.NL. are worried that if they make the wrong choice,will the gov't make up the difference,so they will not look like fools to thier people. Pity.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Oh its pretty straight forward. They can keep the Accord and take less equalization than last year or cap the Accord, eat the clawback and accept the new formula at which point those sections you say are reserved for the end all come into force immediately (or, for the sake of accuracy, as Cabinet can find a pen)

Harper's idea of fair, to be sure.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I get the feeling that before long, Canada will consist of Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec. And Manitoba will be looking.