Growers want early access to free market

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
The Edmonton Journal
Published: Wednesday, May 30, 2007
EDMONTON - Three major producer groups want the federal government to move up the new free market system for barley by six weeks.

Changing the date from Aug. 1 to June 15 would enable the malting industry to buy directly from farmers, and allow producers and grain companies to take better advantage of export sales, Western Barley Growers president Jeff Nielsen said Tuesday.

"It would give maltsters the market certainty they need to contract directly with producers for the rest of this crop year, as well as next year's needs," said Nielsen, who farms near Cochrane.
The low returns projected under the Canadian Wheat Board monopoly are undermining its ability to attract barley supplies, he added.

Nielsen said he's had indications from the minister's staff that the date could be moved. The period for comments on the legislation is over, and it can quickly go to order-in-council.

Alberta Barley Commission chairman Terry Young said moving the date makes economic sense for forward-thinking maltsters and financial sense for producers.

"The are many of my neighbours who feel a new era is opening up for us with the freedom to choose how to market our barley. My farm is 35 kilometres from a maltster who supports marketing choice and I look forward to developing a long-lasting relationship with them."

The Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association is also supporting the move.

What's the hold-up, Chuck? Its been two weeks already. Finally figured out NAFTA won't let the farmers have their cake and eat it too?