Why isn't Dion in majority territory right now?

CDN87

Nominee Member
Dec 24, 2006
I can't believe how Canadian voters can't seem to support a poor underestimated guy named Dion who just likes to be independent (in politics it is an asset to be different and peaceful). If I were the Canadian people I would give Dion not only a majority but a strong one. He is respectful and has the right moderate and progressive views that represent Canadians well.

Harper seems to be in lalaland right now. He can't even control his own cabinet from messing him over. It's game over for Harper straight as that but Canadian voters can't seem to jump on. His year of inept actions toward the middle east and the environment are showing like an open doorway and Canadians are ignoring it and continue to support this PM.

How could democracy fail like this? I thought we were smarter than this?

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
And I hope we are smart enough NOT TO VOTE Liberal. Dion is a fool. How many times do you want to be screwed over by the same bunch of thieves and liars?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One or two more screw-ups by Harper and he will be toast. Some people don't remember that most of Canada's debt came from Harper's hero: Mulroney. What would our debt look like if Harper had a majority? I shudder just thinking about it. Do we really want to be governed by a party that made Stockwell Day a cabinet minister? :roll: I don't.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I can't believe how Canadian voters can't seem to support a poor underestimated guy named Dion who just likes to be independent (in politics it is an asset to be different and peaceful). If I were the Canadian people I would give Dion not only a majority but a strong one. He is respectful and has the right moderate and progressive views that represent Canadians well.

Harper seems to be in lalaland right now. He can't even control his own cabinet from messing him over. It's game over for Harper straight as that but Canadian voters can't seem to jump on. His year of inept actions toward the middle east and the environment are showing like an open doorway and Canadians are ignoring it and continue to support this PM.

How could democracy fail like this? I thought we were smarter than this?

I'd say the reason why many Canadians, in general, are not supporting the Liberals is because the Liberals have been in power for 12-13 years, and most people seem to think it's time for a change. While I don't like Harper, and would hate to seem him have a majority, a Conservative minority isn't so bad. At the very least it keeps the Liberals on their toes, and prevents them from getting cocky, since if they screw up (once they get back in power) they can easily be turfed again.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Most Canadians are in fact happy with the minority government, not because it is Conservative or it is Harper. But because for the first time parties are cooperating and results have been more fourth coming than they have in over a decade, as the previous liberals under Chretien and Martin did a great deal of foot dragging. And no leader has appeared strong enough for majority support, so if the status quo remains the same another minority would be in our future.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'd say the reason why many Canadians, in general, are not supporting the Liberals is because the Liberals have been in power for 12-13 years, and most people seem to think it's time for a change. While I don't like Harper, and would hate to seem him have a majority, a Conservative minority isn't so bad. At the very least it keeps the Liberals on their toes, and prevents them from getting cocky, since if they screw up (once they get back in power) they can easily be turfed again.

The Liberals were in power for 12 - 13 years because Mulroney destroyed the Conservative party and there was no viable federal party to oppose the Liberals. Even now, the Conservatives are a mixture of Reform, Alliance, and a few Conservatives that Mckay hoodwinked by joining Harper's crowd.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Canadians were sick of the corruption Chretien served up, and they were sending a message out to the party to get there act together.

And they get another Chretien blood for the leader.

I think Harper is getting a majority next election.

Whatever it is, it will be another Tory gov.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Depending on how badly the developing story of un-recorded and un-checked handouts in the fomr of Ontario liberal grants, the provincial libs could do a great deal od damage to their federal counterparts.

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
Most Canadians are in fact happy with the minority government, not because it is Conservative or it is Harper. But because for the first time parties are cooperating and results have been more fourth coming than they have in over a decade, as the previous liberals under Chretien and Martin did a great deal of foot dragging. And no leader has appeared strong enough for majority support, so if the status quo remains the same another minority would be in our future.

Good point. They do seem to pull up the boot straps and actually get something done with everyone breathing down their necks!
And I have yet to see a leader that I could actually put my trust in...or at least one that I wouldn't be embarressed to call the leader!

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
And I have yet to see a leader that I could actually put my trust in...or at least one that I wouldn't be embarressed to call the leader!

All four of the leaders who are national and in the media spotlight, Harper, Dion, May and Layton are all in that boat. They are the most uninspiring collection of party leaders this country has seen in a long time. There isn't a strong debater, or proven person with convictions who won't fold on an issue in the lot. I am paying more heed to the issues that are highest on my own priority list right now and who is best representing them with there platforms as they develope. I like some of what the NDP has had to say more recently, so they currently find themselves at the forefront of my list. But that can change, both the liberals and the Conservatives will need to show some backbone before i look there way seriously right now.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Can you really elect a man who carries around a knapsack Prime Minister?

I don't think so.

Yeah, I choose who to vote for based on who has the best accessories

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I like that about him.

I dunno...why isn't he in majority contention?? I think wants a campaign starts, we will begin to see some shifting in poll results. I wonder how the next election will go. Have Canadians been won over by Harper (GOD I hope not)? Have Canadians gotten over the sponsorship scandal (Doubt it). We shall see in the next election what happens. I have a feeling that it will be a close draw...hopefully a minority government. I think minority governments are a good thing, and I think given the status of the two major parties, it is in Canada's best interest to have a minority government.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
I think the most obvious reason that the liberals aren't in a majority position right now is because 1) Canadians don't want an election right now and 2) the current government is doing Okay. Despite the rhetoric on all sides there is no major scandal (calling belinda a dog doesn't count) no massive faux pas that would necessitate all the hassle that would result from an election. I am of the opinion that democracies don't as much choose leaders as throw them out and replace them when they have reached a certain level of intolerability. Since no party wants to be seen as being the cause of an election and Canadians haven't yet been suitably offended by the conservative government. It is not yet time for new leadership.

As for your comments CDN87

" If I were the Canadian people I would give Dion not only a majority but a strong one. He is respectful and has the right moderate and progressive views that represent Canadians well.

How could democracy fail like this? I thought we were smarter than this?"

If you had the ability to decide for us we wouldn't have democracy. That is the whole point.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Why they hell would we want a majority of any kind?

As for Dion, he's a dual citizen, which I could have looked past... except then he said he didn't believe he had any debt to France.

He's as much a French citizen as a Canadian one, if he doesnt' feel that way then its his duty to renounce his French citizenship. If he didn't think he owed anything to Canada I'd expect him to renounce his Canadian citizenship. Im not a fan of avowed citizens of convenience.