I can't do the job by bicycle

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Can't do job ‘by bicycle' says Blackburn

BRUCE CHEADLE
Canadian Press
May 7, 2007 at 7:56 PM EDT

Ottawa — Federal Labour Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn said Monday he can't do his job “by bicycle” but could not explain why his ministerial travel expenses failed to disclose a penny of almost $150,000 worth of charter flights last year.
The Conservatives have made a virtue of their ministerial frugality since taking office, but opposition MPs are now crying foul saying the government is simply hiding such expenses in different books.
Mr. Blackburn used the rental planes to tour Quebec as the regional economic development minister for Prime Minister Stephen Harper. But only eight of some 25 flights appeared in his quarterly “proactive disclosure” of expenses last year, and all eight listed air fare as zero.
Those eight flights alone actually cost taxpayers more than $93,000.
What the hell is so important that this guy can't take a regularly scheduled flight?

http://tinyurl.com/3356rg

Last edited:

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
wow, that's the biggest strawman I've seen on the part of Blackburn. No one is asking him to do his job by bicycle...but it would be nice if he disclosed the money he spent. Is that so hard? And $93,000 for 8 flights? Yikes!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
wow, that's the biggest strawman I've seen on the part of Blackburn. No one is asking him to do his job by bicycle...but it would be nice if he disclosed the money he spent. Is that so hard? And $93,000 for 8 flights? Yikes!

There seems to be something that happens to politicians after they get elected that destroys all conscience. Every politician suffers from the same affliction. They begin to treat the taxpayer's money like it was their own. :roll:;-)

snfu73

disturber of the peace
There seems to be something that happens to politicians after they get elected that destroys all conscience. Every politician suffers from the same affliction. They begin to treat the taxpayer's money like it was their own. :roll:;-)
It definitly takes credibility away from the conservatives who have been so harsh towards the previous government for their mishandling of money and have played on that over and over and over again...what was it called...."culture of entitlement" or something? Sounds like it has infected the conservative party.

However, I do want to point out that, sure, there are crooked politicians, or politicians that do awful stuff...however, I believe that there very good politicians representing us who are not interested in ripping off the taxpayer...but are genuinly interested in serving their constituents, and their country...and helping make Canada a better place.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It definitly takes credibility away from the conservatives who have been so harsh towards the previous government for their mishandling of money and have played on that over and over and over again...what was it called...."culture of entitlement" or something? Sounds like it has infected the conservative party.

However, I do want to point out that, sure, there are crooked politicians, or politicians that do awful stuff...however, I believe that there very good politicians representing us who are not interested in ripping off the taxpayer...but are genuinly interested in serving their constituents, and their country...and helping make Canada a better place.

You are right. There are some very good people in politics, in all parties. I used to work for the candidate in my riding and I got to meet people from all parties and after you get to know people it is hard to think of them as the "enemy". You don't have to agree with party policies.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You are right. There are some very good people in politics, in all parties. I used to work for the candidate in my riding and I got to meet people from all parties and after you get to know people it is hard to think of them as the "enemy". You don't have to agree with party policies.

Having said all that, this is still a shameful waste of taxpayer's money. $93,000.00 for eight flights, all within the province of Quebec..........What did he do? take his whole family?....Must be a big family.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Having said all that, this is still a shameful waste of taxpayer's money. $93,000.00 for eight flights, all within the province of Quebec..........What did he do? take his whole family?....Must be a big family.
Oh...no doubt about it...this guy did wrong, and should be called on it...and I think it should reflect on the whole Harper government given their harsh rhetoric on things like this.

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
If only the people elected to office could get it through their heads that they are only a power until the next election. The members who do get carried away with their own sense of self importance do a great disservice to the other members who do the best they can. I say we give him a bicycle, let him do his job, and appreciate his abscence from the house.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If only the people elected to office could get it through their heads that they are only a power until the next election. The members who do get carried away with their own sense of self importance do a great disservice to the other members who do the best they can. I say we give him a bicycle, let him do his job, and appreciate his absence from the house.

Now there is a plan!....:-?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I think if anyone believed the conservatives wouldn't have any corruption then they are completely naive. As for which party is worse it probably is the liberals but I don't want to get into it.