Troops May Leave Afghanistan By 2010

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Troops may leave by 2010

Defence Minister says Afghan Mission is not open-ended; Exit timing depends on when nation is secure

John Ivison, National Post

Published: Wednesday, April 11, 2007
OTTAWA - Canadian troops could be withdrawn from Afghanistan by the end of 2010, the Minister of National Defence suggested yesterday.
However, Gordon O'Connor said the withdrawal would be conditional on Afghan security forces meeting their targeted levels of expansion.
"We don't want to be there forever. Our exit strategy is to try to get Afghan governance, development and security to such a level that they can look after themselves," he said in an interview with the National Post. "We will probably have to provide aid there for many, many years but that doesn't necessarily mean we have to keep large security forces there. If the Afghan army and police can get to some reasonable level -- in their value system, not ours -- that will allow NATO to withdraw.

Under the Afghanistan Compact, signed between the Afghan government and the international community in London last year, targets were set at 70,000 for the Afghan army (roughly double current numbers) and 62,000 for the police force.
Asked whether the Afghan army is on course to reach its target size, and whether this would constitute a "reasonable level," Mr. O'Connor, said: "Yeah, I think so," pointing out that the United States has recently committed around US$8-billion to purchase equipment for the army.
Mr. O'Connor, who will host a working meeting with the defence ministers from the eight other NATO countries in southern Afghanistan this week in Quebec City, said the scenario is hypothetical at the moment, because Canada's military commitment is only firm until February, 2009.
"We haven't made any decision whatsoever [beyond that]. We wouldn't look at that until some time next year," he said.
Despite the deaths of six soldiers of the Royal Canadian Regiment on Sunday in a roadside bombing, Mr. O'Connor said he is satisfied with the progress.
"It's been a sad week and particularly hard on the families. But people ask about morale. I don't think they understand the psychology of soldiers. It doesn't affect morale -- they're committed and they believe in it."
Mr. O'Connor said the bombing does not necessarily indicate an increase in Taliban activity in Kandahar region. "It looks like Helmund [the neighbouring province] will get most of the activity," he said.
The Defence Minister was in Afghanistan for the third time last month and said the situation had improved from his last visit a year ago. "Kandahar City used to be black at night but when I left, it was all lit up. There are even traffic jams. I'm not talking with rose-coloured glasses on, though -- there is a long way to go."
Mr. O'Connor, who has had a strained relationship with the media since the Conservatives took office, expressed frustration with misconceptions about Canada's role in Afghanistan. "I hear other people talking of Afghanistan as if we have complete freedom to operate. [But] we're there to support the Afghan government," he said.
He admitted that Canada has "next to no influence" when it comes to the endemic corruption in the country. "If we see it, we report it to the governor or the President. But it's their sovereign country."

He said the same criteria applied to the issue of detainees, over which the Defence Minister had to apologize to the House of Commons after making erroneous comments about how they were monitored by the International Red Cross Committee. "It's their country. If someone commits an offence, we detain them and hand them over to the legal authorities."
He cited the case of the suspect in the death of Canadian diplomat Glyn Berry. "The suspect was arrested twice and released twice. [But] it's their boundaries, their customs. We can advise and help but at the end of the day, it's their decision."
Mr. O'Connor said the Afghan government's jurisdiction also extends to negotiating an end to hostilities. "We are one of 36 countries in Afghanistan. We will not negotiate with anyone. It's up to the Afghan government to negotiate with the Taliban, if they so choose."
He indicated a negotiated settlement is the likely outcome of the Afghan situation-- "Nearly all [conflicts] have to end up ultimately in some negotiation" -- but he pointed out that President Hamid Karzai has offered to talk to the Taliban and been rebuffed.
"You have to look at it from the Taliban side. If the Taliban do not achieve their goals, they will realize that they can't return to power in Afghanistan and their best option is to negotiate," he said.
He refuted the idea that the Taliban are jihadists who will never compromise or negotiate. "That's just a cover -- they want power," he said.
The Defence Minister waved off suggestions that Canada is in Afghanistan in support of U.S. ambitions to build an oil pipeline across the country to transport the rich reserves in neighbouring Turkmenistan.
"I try to tell people that, if there is a country on the planet that has no ambitions on anyone else, it's Canada. We don't need oil. There's nothing that Afghanistan has that we're interested in.
"We're there for noble purposes -- to improve the lives of the Afghan people. People write about these great conspiracies, but I don't believe in conspiracies," he said.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I like how the reasons we're NOT there seem almost more phoney than the "reasons" for which we actually ARE supposedly involved.

I also like how "we aren't going to be there forever" has been rolled into the talking points, it kinda goes without saying but it's always mouthed as some sort of reassurance, kinda cute :D

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
who cares?

the United States has recently committed around US$8-billion to purchase equipment for the army

subsidizing the complex directly with taxpayer's money shouldn't be one of them, let alone be considered a sign of progress.

and the Compact isn't even CLOSE to meeting its ANDS disarmament benchmark. O'Conner is a lying sack of ****.

Last edited:

stevek

Mar 9, 2007
We are there under the obligation to NATO as one of our Allies was attacked by an enemy force - the Taliban supported Al Queda group.

I don't like the idea of giving the terrorists a leaving date as they could just lay low until 2010 and then try to overthrow the Afghani government.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Well, as long as we don't set a date, victory is assured then, EXCELLENT- we can win for the rest of time- eternal, painfully costly "victory" never sounded SO undesirable

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
We are there under the obligation to NATO as one of our Allies was attacked by an enemy force - the Taliban supported Al Queda group...

Operation Enduring Freedom was NOT a NATO operation.

When did NATO get into the nation-building business?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Another one of the U.N. screw ups would be the answer to the questions...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aH9DzkMEPvnw&refer=asia

Afghanistan, NATO Must Double Efforts Against Taliban, UN Says
By Ed Johnson
April 11 (Bloomberg) -- The Afghan government and North Atlantic Treaty Organization must ``redouble'' their efforts to combat the Taliban insurgency and stabilize the country, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said.
Ban condemned the ``senseless murder'' of Afghan journalist Ajmal Naqshbandi, who was kidnapped by the Taliban last month and executed on April 8, and a roadside bomb attack the same day that killed six Canadian soldiers.
``The secretary-general is deeply concerned by the level of insecurity in Afghanistan as witnessed by events over the weekend in the south and southwest of the country,'' his spokeswoman Michele Montas said in a statement yesterday.
NATO is leading international efforts to tackle supporters of the Taliban that was ousted in 2001 by a U.S.-led coalition. The alliance's force of about 37,000 soldiers is bracing for a fresh offensive by the rebels, as melting snow makes movement over mountain passes easier.
The Taliban has about 3,000 fighters and 500 recruits willing to carry out suicide bombings, Major General David Rodriguez, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said in an interview yesterday with ABC News.
``The Taliban will continue to attack and come after us as much as they can because I think they see their opportunity starting to slip away,'' ABC cited him as saying on its Web site.
The Afghan National Army has 35,000 soldiers trained and equipped and the country's police force stands at 63,000 officers, according to the Pentagon's news service.
The U.S. has 15,000 soldiers as part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force and another 10,000 involved in counterinsurgency operations and the hunt for al- Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
The Australian government said yesterday it will send an extra 300 soldiers and 75 air force personnel to Afghanistan to bolster the NATO contingent, which is drawn from 37 countries.
Australia currently has 550 soldiers in Afghanistan, including 110 personnel belonging to a CH-47 Chinook helicopter detachment providing logistical support to coalition partners, according to the Australian Defense Department's Web site.
To contact the reporter on this story: Ed Johnson in Sydney at ejohnson28@bloomberg.net .
Last Updated: April 10, 2007 22:50 EDT

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Bit

Are you cruising for an argument or what? Your posts this morning seem to be trying to drum up a fight with someone. Unfortunately I have to start work now.... unavailable.

Most of the Canadians here are angry their military are in Afghanistan. Many of them say the U.S. drew Canada in as appeasing Bush for the refusal to join in the Iraq invasion.

It has always been Canadian decision when and where their military go regardless of what the people on this and other forums write. Not the U.S. decision - it has no power over the Canadian military.

The order to invade Afghanistan on a "peacekeeping mission" I love that soft and sweet siren song the U.N. uses.... NATO forces were gathered to route the Taliban I guess (is that peacekeeping)? Since
that early time, it has blown into a full scale military police action involving the demise of NATO forces....

The U.N. have so little military knowledge I have no idea why they think they can order national military forces around like pawns in a game of killing and clearly they are at the bottom of their
list in assignment of military warfare work.

And yes the U.N. have screwed up many times when it comes to matters of war. The U.N. was created to offer the possibilities of avoidance of war.

I repeat - it has screwed up.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
OK- so the tally -War- sad but inevitable- CHECK!!

UN- useless, cause of all global problems- CHECK!!

NATO- nothin but good, serious organization, uncorrupted and pure, to which we hold obligation which we as Canadians do not seem to take seriously enough- CHECK!!

How does that have anything to do with the fact that the US declared WAR on afghanistan, got it rubber-stamped and dove in there with no regards for any sort of strategy and no actual solid, believable, DO-ABLE objective??

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security .

are we there yet?

there's a catch-22 in there somewhere. dammit. I hate brainteasers.

there's a hole in the bucket
dear liza dear liza...:lol:

stevek

Mar 9, 2007
OK- so the tally -War- sad but inevitable- CHECK!!

UN- useless, cause of all global problems- CHECK!!

NATO- nothin but good, serious organization, uncorrupted and pure, to which we hold obligation which we as Canadians do not seem to take seriously enough- CHECK!!

How does that have anything to do with the fact that the US declared WAR on afghanistan, got it rubber-stamped and dove in there with no regards for any sort of strategy and no actual solid, believable, DO-ABLE objective??

I recall Bush declaring war on Terror. The target of this war were the training camps in Afghanistan. I don't think he actually declared war on the country itself.