Liberals can't even lease a plane.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
I still remember Paul Martin flying across the country in the Hummer of airplanes.

His plane polluted twice as much as the other party leaders planes and I could not help myself but laugh at the irony when he would talk about pollution during his campaign. :lol: :lol:

Air Canada rejects Liberals' request for plane

Updated Thu. Apr. 5 2007 8:58 PM ET
Canadian Press
MONTREAL -- Strong bookings have forced Air Canada to reject a request by the federal Liberals for an airplane for the next election, CEO Montie Brewer said Thursday.

"It's very difficult to pull aircraft out of service last minute and use a lot of crew time when we have planes already booked full of customers,'' Brewer said in an interview.

The company reported this week another month of record load factors.

Media reports suggest the Liberals are scrambling to find a campaign plane.

While the Conservatives and NDP have secured arrangements with Canada's largest airline in past elections, the Liberals have flown with other airlines.

In the 1990s, it flew with Canadian Airlines, when it was still operating.

In the last two campaigns, former prime minister Paul Martin's team leased a plane owned by Cargojet president Ajay Virmani.

While Brewer professes not to know the exact timing of a possible election, he said the airline has been given "an idea when things may or may not happen.''

"We've been kind of planning for that but we didn't expect the Liberals to come and ask because they haven't in the past and right now our resources are quite full.''

Liberal spokeswoman Renee Filiatrault wouldn't confirm the party had approached Air Canada but insisted it has other options.

"We'll be able to have the tools that we require Day 1 if (Prime Minister Stephen) Harper forces an election,'' she said in an interview.

With the environment likely to play a prominent role in Liberal Leader Stephane Dion's campaign, the party is likely searching for a more fuel-efficient aircraft than it used in 2004 and 2005.

Filiatrault would only say that the Liberals are looking at ways to "offset carbon emissions with the goal of having a carbon neutral campaign.''

Martin was dogged by questions about his fuel-guzzling election plane -- a 1960s Boeing 727.

The Conservatives poked fun at the Liberal plane, calling it "the high-flying polluter.''

The NDP calculated that the Liberals would use 22,500 litres of jet fuel on a Vancouver-Ottawa flight compared with 13,250 litres for the NDP's Airbus 319.

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
What an absolute hoot this is.

Once again the LPC is caught with its pants down, unprepared and unable to justify publicly why they cannot manage to obtain a plane to fly their sorry asses from coast to coast and the 49th to the NWP. If you think about it, it really is quite hilarious.

Former pmpm attempted to obtain yet another electoral advantage by currying favour with CargoJet only to be rebuffed. Now Dion's media spin doctor says the reason they don't have one booked/rented/reserved/whatever is due to fuel efficiency.

They must have been so busy trying to figure out how to return to the era of entitlement and how to ensure Lafluer sleeps with the fishes they neglected to make arrangements. Speaking of which, I wonder if they are losing sleep shaking and shivering and tremoring with worry as to who and whom gets named by this guy who knows all the names.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
What an absolute hoot this is.

Once again the LPC is caught with its pants down, unprepared and unable to justify publicly why they cannot manage to obtain a plane to fly their sorry asses from coast to coast and the 49th to the NWP. If you think about it, it really is quite hilarious.

Former pmpm attempted to obtain yet another electoral advantage by currying favour with CargoJet only to be rebuffed. Now Dion's media spin doctor says the reason they don't have one booked/rented/reserved/whatever is due to fuel efficiency.

They must have been so busy trying to figure out how to return to the era of entitlement and how to ensure Lafluer sleeps with the fishes they neglected to make arrangements. Speaking of which, I wonder if they are losing sleep shaking and shivering and tremoring with worry as to who and whom gets named by this guy who knows all the names.

I think Dion should run across Canada. That would give new meaning to an election race. ;-)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Strong bookings have forced Air Canada to reject a request by the federal Liberals for an airplane for the next election

They say they don't want an election, but they didn't support the budget and are scrambling to find an election campain plane.....what's next?

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Yep, Dion insists on being a half Canadian, and less of a Canadian, by holding onto his French citizenship, so I guess he should call Air France up.

Yeah they all say WE DON"T WANT AN ELECTION! But they are getting prepared for one!

GenGap

Electoral Member
Mar 19, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
ROFL...

And your point is? It has no substance, the liberals had booked a better plane.

The conservatives were playing a joke on themselves, and alot of liberals laughed

GenGap

Electoral Member
Mar 19, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
They say they don't want an election, but they didn't support the budget and are scrambling to find an election campain plane.....what's next?

Actually they has a plane, the contract was canceled. It takes 3 -4 weeks in advance to book a plane or you would end up with one like the liberals did. Conservatives are calling an Election, by forcing the opposition to disapprove on one issue coming that the liberals will never say yes to.

May be the Environment, Gay Marriage, Change to Senate to be voted by election, or a change to the Charter of Human Rights. Or a combination of the above.

The game is set and matched, all In Favor of Harper.

An Election is coming... Party Boxing Gloves are going on.. and the sucker punishing will really heat up by all parties. Right Now Harper has shown he is a leader in the house, be interesting to watch the coming weeks.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I agree with the above.

Harper will set up some legislation which the Libs. could never support, then election.

Then he can say: "I tried to make changes to _____, but its the Libs. fault!"

Then Con. majority!

its going to a Con. majority, this country needs some stability, miniorities make the nation unstable. All good economies happen under majorities.

GenGap

Electoral Member
Mar 19, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with the above.

Harper will set up some legislation which the Libs. could never support, then election.

Then he can say: "I tried to make changes to _____, but its the Libs. fault!"

Then Con. majority!

its going to a Con. majority, this country needs some stability, miniorities make the nation unstable. All good economies happen under majorities.

Along as it not a Liberal Majority, I can make due.. provincially.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Let me get this straight.

The Liberals claim that the Conservatives want an election and that the Liberals do not.

Yet the only party that can really bring down the minority government is the Liberals. If anything, the media should be asking Dion when he intends to bring the government down.

Then again, if Dion is not planning to bring down the government, then why is he looking for a plane to campaign in?

Harper could obviously bring forward legislation that the Liberals don't like, but at the end of the day it's the Liberals that have to bring down the government.

stevek

Mar 9, 2007
It's too bad they couldn't get an Air Canada plane.
Considering the service I have gotten from them the Liberals would have been lost.